Vibrations at high speeds and steering misaligned

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
So just recently I've noticed between 60-80 the steering wheel shakes more then normal and the alignment is off a little bit. All the wheels still look balanced but you never know, I'm just curious what else could cause this

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
It is impossible to tell if a wheel is balanced by looking at it.

Have the balance checked, have the alignment checked (you may need new tires) and that will probably fix your problem.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
RayVoy said:
It is impossible to tell if a wheel is balanced by looking at it.

Have the balance checked, have the alignment checked (you may need new tires) and that will probably fix your problem.

I suppose that's true, ill have to go get them checked. My tires still look relatively new, do you think it is something messed up on the inside of the tire?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
blackout51 said:
...do you think it is something messed up on the inside of the tire?
If they used the silver duct tape instead of the proper black to fasten the balance hamsters to the inside of the tread, one of them may have come loose. That would match your symptoms. Insist they use the proper tape next time. :wink:

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
the roadie said:
If they used the silver duct tape instead of the proper black to fasten the balance hamsters to the inside of the tread, one of them may have come loose. That would match your symptoms. Insist they use the proper tape next time. :wink:

That would cause misalignment?

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
blackout51 said:
So just recently I've noticed between 60-80 the steering wheel shakes more then normal and the alignment is off a little bit. All the wheels still look balanced but you never know, I'm just curious what else could cause this

By alignment I'm assuming that you mean the steering wheel is not centered.If that's the case you might want to check things like ball joints and tie rod ends for slop.I had a similar problem on my last Tahoe and found that a lower control arm bushing had disintegrated..Mike.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
northcreek said:
By alignment I'm assuming that you mean the steering wheel is not centered.If that's the case you might want to check things like ball joints and tie rod ends for slop.I had a similar problem on my last Tahoe and found that a lower control arm bushing had disintegrated..Mike.

Well last time I was under there the tie roads felt tight and the ball joints looked normal, ill have to pull the wheels and check again

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online