Vibration from front end. Bad CV? Video included

BrownHP800

Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
Hi Guys,

My son as a 2002 Trailblazer 4x4. We have a noticeable vibration from what feels like the left front. It sure feels like there is a lot of play in the CV shaft. I am not sure what is considered normal or if there should be no play. Both axles were replaced a few years ago with some remanufactured autozone axles I think. I have included a video but not sure how well you can see the slop.

I was thinking it was the LF hub but that honestly feels pretty good, doesnt seem to make any noise when spinning it, etc.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Back and forth of the shaft is pretty normal. Just normal tolerance of the retainer inside the joint of the shaft. That up and down movement of the joint in the diff seems a bit too much to me although I haven't really ever looked at that on mine. May be normal. Maybe pull the axle and check the condition of the bearing. A test you could do is pull the axle, plug the hole in the diff with a Gatorade cap and drive it to see if the vibration goes away.

Also check the other side as the disconnect is notorious for going bad.

gladesteen

Aug 19, 2014
I changed both my axles out in July with Cardone's and I have the same in and out play.

As long as there is no side to side or up / down i think you should be good to go.
That would be symptoms of bad bearing or disconnect...…...as Moose mentioned.

Did you check the tie rods ? They could cause a vibration.
While you're under there look at the swaybar bushings and end links too. Just changed those out on my 186k mile Bravada and it made a HUGE difference in driving.

smt 59

Actually there should be very limited in and out play and no up and down at all. I replaced mine because of the up and down play as well as the disconnect unit and all is good. And I went directly to the rebuilder instead of a parts store.

BrownHP800

Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
Sorry for the late reply.

It turns out it was the hub. I replaced it and vibration is gone. Funny thing is that it didn't feel bad when spinning it. Obviously something was wrong. Pretty sure it was original so over 190K on that one.

Reactions: smt 59

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
It is a good idea to check the Wear Patterns on the Front Tires for any anomalies ... and observe the Vehicle for a parallel alignment when lowered back down onto Terra Firma with the Steering Wheel Centered for any obvious TOE-IN or TOE-OUT problems. The other sources that can induce Front End Vibrations will become exacerbated by having Bad Ball Joints and/or Failing McPherson Struts as well. For anyone interested in the concepts of TOE Adjustments and their affects upon Tire Wear... This Video will be very instructive:

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online