Very Slight Miss at Idle

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I think you should just put a new sensor in and do a CASE relearn considering all the other things you've gone over and tried. That was the only thing that remedied all my issues.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I ordered one and it's on its way. Will try a CASE relearn anyway. Can't hurt and costs nothing.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I ordered one and it's on its way. Will try a CASE relearn anyway. Can't hurt and costs nothing.
Best of luck bud, hope this'll solve your idle gremlins.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
CASE relearn did squat.

Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way. While talking with my son, was musing about lowering the compression of the other cylinders to match. What if the other cylinders are higher than what they should be due to carbon? I'll search for what others get on theeir compression tests and what the manual says. I.might just treat the entire engine to TEC.

I_Shoot_Back

Feb 18, 2018
Ponoka
maybe your engine needs a good "grandma tune". Taking grandma's car out on the highway and drive the living piss out of it for about 15 miles to blow all the carbon and slush build up out of her.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
If it's within 10% that wouldn't do it... Plug the PCV (vent thingy under the air box?) and see if it goes away after idling for a minute... I am curious now.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
maybe your engine needs a good "grandma tune". Taking grandma's car out on the highway and drive the living piss out of it for about 15 miles to blow all the carbon and slush build up out of her.

That's just it, I always drive it like I stole it.

If it's within 10% that wouldn't do it... Plug the PCV (vent thingy under the air box?) and see if it goes away after idling for a minute... I am curious now.

Isn't that usually for a lifter tick?

Additional info. LTFT is now in the 10 to 12% at idle but drops to 6~7% at higher RPM.

I'm just pulling my grey hair out now. Next I'll be throwing some premium into the tank just in case the ethanol junk is doing something.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
That's the fix for loud lifters.
I'm just pulling my grey hair out now. Next I'll be throwing some premium into the tank just in case the ethanol junk is doing something.
I can attest to premium making some-what of a difference, that's why I run it.

Reactions: Mooseman

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

Isn't that usually for a lifter tick?

Additional info. LTFT is now in the 10 to 12% at idle but drops to 6~7% at higher RPM.

It'll help with ring control too... Free to try and is easy as shit to do, just saying.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Winter time is hard to do an Italian tuneup. I might even try a whole can of Seafoam through the brake hose. Might have to use the Tech 2 to hold the RPM for me.

Still have the crank sensor coming.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Can you watch the crank sensor square wave with the tech 2 and see if its dropping out? I just find it strange that it's only number 4 still.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The #4 Position along the Exhaust Flange of the Head is the "Pivot Point" where the 'rocking up and down' action of the Exhaust System usually causes the EM Bolts on the #1 & #2 positions to work harden ...and snap off. If you examine the Aluminum Exhaust Flange surface around the two bolts holding the EM firmly to the head at the #4 Cylinder and can see a wider area of a "Rusty-Bronze" Halo looking patina under the MLS Gasket... it is the clue that likely, one of them has broken off flush with head and the remaining Head/Stud piece has rusted fast inside of the Cast Iron EM Bolt Hole... concealing the underlying break.

This suggestion is prompted by what @littleblazer mentioned earlier about the "Paper-Flutter" test for Worn/Warped Valves and would be one additional place to look for un-metered air to get sucked back into the Exhaust Port during Valve Overlap ...and mess with the F/A ratio. I found these "Rusty-Bronze" patina markings very evident on the EM head flange during the engine tear-down of my '04 LL8. The only labor necessary for this inspection is the removal of the Heat Shield and a "Calibrated Eye-Ball" focused over the area adjacent to the #4 Flange:

BROKENBOLTPATINA1.jpg

Last edited:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That is certainly another avenue to pursue. And as luck would have it, if needed, I have a spare updated exhaust manifold from the '02, which is the same.

Can you watch the crank sensor square wave with the tech 2 and see if its dropping out? I just find it strange that it's only number 4 still.

It does have a graph of sorts for misfires but haven't seen anything for sensors. All it is is a counter for misfires. I think I would have to log data and then export it to the laptop to put it in an actual graph. Haven't delved that far into yet.

Reactions: littleblazer

psa55

Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
Hey Mooseman, have you found a solution to the miss at idle?

I still get the random P0300 code once or twice a month for a day or so.... seems everytime I spend too long in a drive thru. #6 mostly, and #4 sometimes, misfire at idle still. When on the gas and when driving the 4.2 works great with no misses.

I spent a lot of my fall chasing similar issues that you describe on yours. My compression checks out okay. I had spoke with my dealer about an injector balance test and a leak down test, but haven't gotten the TB in to them. Shop foreman said drive it, he has seen similar issues that people have just driven with for years on the TB/Envoy. Here is the thread: https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/p0300-where-to-start.19008/#post-567942

This spring, when it warms up, I'll be getting close to oil change time, and plan to do the AC Delco TEC procedures to see if it helps. I haven't done the CKP, but could give it a shot too.

253 000 kms now, but still working well, other than the misfires at idle. Was hoping you found a solution that might help me out?

Thanks!

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Cold weather and lack of a garage has put this on hold for now. Yeah, same with me if I idle it too long. I'll be tackling the TEC, crank sensor, O2 sensor in the spring. Someone had a slight miss that was caused by a cracked brake booster vacuum hose.

Reactions: alex98392 and psa55

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online