Vendor or not?

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I've noticed that a "few" members seem to be posting items for sale quite a bit. I can understand someone haveing a couple things here and there they want to sell... When I checked it was pretty much the only thing they had posted was items for sale. Maybe it's just me, but if I was asking a ton of questions without searching for answers Roadie would halve my ass! lol I don't see the difference when someone "seems" to be useing this community for an alternative to ebay. :undecided:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I would say a recently wrecked GMT could be a good reason for a recent influx of ad's. There are many possibilities.

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Yes, still doesn't explain the lack on contribution to the site in other ways though. Kinda my point I guess. I don't care if you help ppl, have something funny to say or just ask questions! I don't like just trying to sell stuff and that's it.... I could be wrong, just seems like thats the case from what I can tell.

I'm talking about the classifieds...

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
You know my main issue with vendors on the forum are the advert e-mails and posts advertising a product they sell full time. It kind of bugs me to the point of spam mail. I think maybe they should post a sticky of the different vendors and what they sell or services they offer(If it hasn't been done) and the regular vendors can read that sticky to see what they are looking for. I asked at one point about good car wash soap and wax, and was referred to a detailing service vendor here on the site...which is great don't get me wrong...but I seriously had no clue we had a vendor like that here, I just knew of the regular classified ad's, and High Voltage for decals and Harmless for Canadian decal vendor..other than that I think the "vendor" area of this forum is a bit unorganized and is a bit hard to find vendors or certain services, that and I think it would eliminate the need to spam someones PM box and thread posts. Just my opinion!

And I also think that advertising in that manner should not be allowed because I know if I had 4-5 people a day e-mailing/PM'ing me about their product and posting their products in my threads...I would be less likely to post or even log in after a while.

I also wanted to mention I obviously don't mind posts/PM's when I ask for a certain product/service.

I hope I stayed on topic here...I tend to drift lol

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Voymom said:
You know my main issue with vendors on the forum are the advert e-mails and posts advertising a product they sell full time. It kind of bugs me to the point of spam mail. I think maybe they should post a sticky of the different vendors and what they sell or services they offer(If it hasn't been done) and the regular vendors can read that sticky to see what they are looking for. I asked at one point about good car wash soap and wax, and was referred to a detailing service vendor here on the site...which is great don't get me wrong...but I seriously had no clue we had a vendor like that here, I just knew of the regular classified ad's, and High Voltage for decals and Harmless for Canadian decal vendor..other than that I think the "vendor" area of this forum is a bit unorganized and is a bit hard to find vendors or certain services, that and I think it would eliminate the need to spam someones PM box and thread posts. Just my opinion!

And I also think that advertising in that manner should not be allowed because I know if I had 4-5 people a day e-mailing/PM'ing me about their product and posting their products in my threads...I would be less likely to post or even log in after a while.

I also wanted to mention I obviously don't mind posts/PM's when I ask for a certain product/service.

I hope I stayed on topic here...I tend to drift lol

I get ya, I have NO problem with someone trying to sell something. If I saw a post or two form someone selling stuff in a row that would be one thing. When you look at 6,8 + in a row and no other obvious posts by them it seems like it's a for sale mission. If you're gonna sell a 360 bolt by bolt then you should be a vendor at that point. JMO

Bottom line! State your intent.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
:iagree:

If someone found a salvaged GMT and parted it out for the community, I don't see anything wrong with that - vendor or not.

But they have the classified section to do it in.

As for spam mail - personally, I don't do it... I'm not sure if the forum does it on it's own (if it does, I'll ask about turning that off)... I just have that one thread.

I'm a polite Canadian... I don't like to bug anyone. :biggrin:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
harmless said:
:iagree:

If someone found a salvaged GMT and parted it out for the community, I don't see anything wrong with that - vendor or not.

I don't mind that either...it's the private PM's and the unnecessary posts in threads.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
fishguy1123 said:
I'm talking about the classifieds...

Oh, thaaaat guy. I know that guy. I'll vouch for that guy.:cool:

fishguy1123 said:
I don't care if you help ppl, have something funny to say or just ask questions! I don't like just trying to sell stuff and that's it

Sometimes folks get busy with life or whatever and can't post as much as they once did. That doesn't mean that they're any less a part of the community, IMO at least.

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
MAY03LT said:
Oh, thaaaat guy. I know that guy. I'll vouch for that guy.:cool:

Sometimes folks get busy with life or whatever and can't post as much as they once did. That doesn't mean that they're any less a part of the community, IMO at least.

If you can post 6,8... items for sale in a short time then you have time to see what else is going on here I think. I like a deal as much as the next guy/girl, just kinda strange when all you seel is fs items I guess.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
harmless said:
Report the post. Simple. Quick. Efficient IMO. :yes:

I have :biggrin: and it does work wonders!!

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
harmless said:
Report the post. Simple. Quick. Efficient IMO. :yes:

You have a point, I guess I bring this up because in a sense this is what this site was founded on. Advertiseing. Not that the site is responsible, just the fact that if someone wants to sell things over and over become a vendor and let us know that's what you're here for. It costs nothing as I understand it to become one.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
fishguy1123 said:
You have a point, I guess I bring this up because in a sense this is what this site was founded on. Advertiseing. Not that the site is responsible, just the fact that if someone wants to sell things over and over become a vendor and let us know that's what you're here for. It costs nothing as I understand it to become one.

I see your point...however just because this guy is parting out a wrecked TB does not mean that he plans on wrecking his next TB so he can continue to part out trucks. Someone who is continuously selling a product or service is a vendor, someone simply parting out his wrecked truck is not a vendor in my opinion.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Well, at that point in time, he'd have to step forward and ask to be a vendor - OR - it's up to the ADMIN team to tighten the proverbial leash.

Either way, I agree...

129109279040227317.jpg

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Voymom said:
I see your point...however just because this guy is parting out a wrecked TB does not mean that he plans on wrecking his next TB so he can continue to part out trucks. Someone who is continuously selling a product or service is a vendor, someone simply parting out his wrecked truck is not a vendor in my opinion.

In one case the person posted that it's the ....... one that he/she's sold! I'm not going to point fingers specificaly in public about this. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Just don't want to see this great site used for something equal to ebay since we are a captive audience in a way.

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
harmless said:
Well, at that point in time, he'd have to step forward and ask to be a vendor - OR - it's up to the ADMIN team to tighten the proverbial leash.

Either way, I agree...

129109279040227317.jpg

LMAO! :rotfl:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
fishguy1123 said:
In one case the person posted that it's the ....... one that he/she's sold! I'm not going to point fingers specificaly in public about this. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Just don't want to see this great site used for something equal to ebay since we are a captive audience in a way.

In the case of selling multiple quantities of the same item...I will have to agree with you there. I don't read the FS posts, I stick with local for the most part as I cant see paying an arm and a leg for shipping.

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
funny-pictures-risky-business-cat.jpg

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If somebody's harvesting email addresses or misusing the PM system for advertising, staff wants to know about it. Use the "report" button for sure. We'll look into it. Vendors need to at least be polite, and that includes no unsolicited contact. As a volunteer spam fighter for 18 years, ever since AOL got a pipe to the greater Internet they had no idea was out there in 1994, nobody spams my friends and gets away with it.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
the roadie said:
If somebody's harvesting email addresses or misusing the PM system for advertising, staff wants to know about it. Use the "report" button for sure. We'll look into it. Vendors need to at least be polite, and that includes no unsolicited contact. As a volunteer spam fighter for 18 years, ever since AOL got a pipe to the greater Internet they had no idea was out there in 1994, nobody spams my friends and gets away with it.

i was just going to say.. i dont know what we are talking about here within the PM's... are they just random and about the items for sale? if so, luckily, i havent received any...or maybe they just know not to bug me :crackup:

you best believe it will be reported if it does happen... thx for the back up Bill :grouphug:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online