Vehicle whine

Traz

Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Michigan
Hey guys so weird thing. When I throw it in reverse and let it go [no brake or anything] I get this weird whine coming from underneath behind the drivers door, I thought it could be my trans but there's no other symptoms and it only recently started..

There's also a noise that sounds like a bad pulley, but they are all brand new. Cant quite pinpoint it, may be related to the original problem, may not

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Take the Serpentine Belt off of the Engine for only as long as it takes to Start the Engine and put the vehicle in Reverse and listen for the whine noise to eliminate anything involving Bolted Up Accessories or related to having any Rusty Carrier Bearings. Don't Run it for very long ...without re-installing the Belt.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianF and Redbeard

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Does the whining only happen while the vehicle is moving?
Sounds like a transfer case issue. How many miles have you put on it since the last T-Case oil change? Have you changed out any tires recently?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have a whine or low squeal at low speed in either direction but it's coming from the rear. If I pull up the parking brake a click, it goes away so I figure it's what's causing it. Try that.

Traz

Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Michigan
Vehicle is RWD.
It only makes the noise when I start moving

The only thing I could think that would be around that location is ABS module

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
If it's RWD I would just put the rear end on jack stands and listed around to see where it's coming from. Just make sure you have someone in the driver's seat, to be able to stop the vehicle. Or just put it in neutral and hand spin the wheels.

It probably is a bearing, or brakes. While you have it up I would change the rear differential fluid. Ha nvm, I just saw that you live in MI as well. Too cold for a diff fluid change right now.

Reactions: Traz and Mooseman

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Sounds like a pinion bearing. One of my prior cars had it and it whined like a mofo as soon as I started moving forwards or backwards. It was constantly competing with my ex!

If it is in-fact diagnosed as a problem with the pinion, I'd possibly try the fluid change in the rear diff. But a bad bearing is a bad bearing. Fluid changes rarely help.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.