Vehicle Usefulness hauling/towing/grocery getting ect.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
Vehicle Usefulness hauling/towing/grocery getting ect.

Rate and list the big stuff you’ve thought naw too big but did any way.

So far I’ve towed a 2900LB boat + 600LB trailer. One way tripe are 220miles

Hauled 16’ 4x4

5 five gallon buckets of crused rock for my back yard drive/park.

Now I have a boat in the trunk. I’ve always wanted a boat in the bag this is a lot more.kindof like a big wide surfboard surrounded w/ air chambers very heavey duty rubber.

I intend to fab a cross brace on the lugguage rack w/ a roller in the middle then transport the 8’ inflatable rib on the roof Aussie style .yes it’s a bit heavey at 68LBs but I am used to Putting a 200LB 28’ fiberglass extension ladders on roofs of work vans.

w/ the ladders it was like straight press up then down into rack.

Loading the vessel will be roll into position lean hull onto the roller lift rear of hull basically tilt and press her on.

First off I need to patch a ½ hole in the front chamber. The 2 rear chambers are fine, Then a few coats of latex paint to help protect the rubber.

What do you Guy’s think

Attachments

• 16' 4x4.jpg
    16' 4x4.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 8.6boat.jpg
    8.6boat.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 8.6boat2.jpg
    8.6boat2.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 24

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Rented a 2 yard dump trailer to get a few loads of stone and fill dirt while working on a shed project. When I got there to pickup the trailer, it was broke, so I took the only alternative, a super heavy 4 yard tandem axle dump trailer with high sides. I hauled one load with 2 yards of stone in it. The TB did it but under protest, so the rest of the loads I ran 1 yard at a time. I push the TB pretty hard occasionally, but that was the only time I was legitimately concerned I was going to break something.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Mine was not real happy with a 7x12 tandem dump filled with dirt for a few miles. Our trailer was basically filled to top of sides. I would not have done it far or often.

1576242443310.png

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Back in 2012 I bought a front load washer and dryer, a electric stove, Dishwasher, Over The Range Microwave. I brought them all home in 1 trip.

Many times hauling my ATV or Snowmobile.

Hauled a 6000lb tracked Skidster, and its 1500 lbs trailer. (overloaded my GMT, short haul, low speed, replaced the brakes when I was done, they were clearly smoked!)

3000 lbs of bricks

1/2 cord of wood

and the most precious cargo, my wife and son!

I love my XUV. Most reliable truck, most versatile truck, I have ever owned. Grocery getter when you need it, and a light duty work truck when you need it. No matter what I throw at her, she is always ready for more.

Mine was not real happy with a 7x12 tandem dump filled with dirt for a few miles. Our trailer was basically filled to top of sides. I would not have done it far or often.

View attachment 92098

Do I spy a Triumph TR7?

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That is a 76 TR6. One of 7 or 8 we have in various states of function. Also have a TR8 which is the wedge shape with the V8 in a 2500lb car that is a solid driver.

Reactions: Redbeard

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I hauled over 700 lbs of old scrap metal INSIDE mine a few years back. Back row and middle row of seats were down. That trip was when I learned how much she really weighed. Weiner dog? Pot bellied pig is more like it! Me, the truck, and a quarter tank of gas was right at 5,300 lbs on the final weigh on the way out.

She rode pretty darn nice, though!

Just recently pulled my 4,600 lb boat/trailer combo home on a trip of about 100 miles. Easy work for the V8 and 3.73s.

Like @TollKeeper said above, these are pretty versatile trucks. I don't want to think of replacing mine as it does everything I need it to except pass a gas station. She is starting to show her age though. 205K miles, smoking on startup about every other time, some lifter tap when cold - more than in the past, rust underneath, rusty doors and lift gate. But damn it, she still looks good and does what I need.

Last edited:

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
What C-ya said. Not a heavy duty truck but very versatile for what I do.
Hauled a 4000 lb. boat and trailer several hundred miles several times, moved the smaller stuff from 2 houses when we changed addresses, LOTS of construction stuff (sheet rock, lumber, cement blocks, etc.
I'm really gonna miss this thing when it finally dies.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Going back on what I have used the old girl for.... Hauled about 5k once, maybe 500km. The usual load from 2006 to 2011 was maybe 3-3500 pounds. A little tandem axle 2 horse, straight haul trailer. It actually did great, you just lock out 4th and take your time.

The biggest thing is just day to day or weekend trips. It is super maneuverable in the city and parking lots, low enough for easy ingress/egress and a decent cargo area for groceries or weekend luggage.

Sure a car or minivan would do this fine but having true 4x4 for all season and the ability to absorb all the gravel road damage is nifty.

I can hack on the engineers in one breath, having the diff bolted to the oil pan, greased CAD etc but in that same breath I have low hood sightlines, sharp turning radius etc. I am really going to miss this thing when it ages out. Originally I said I would take it to 300,000km but I will shoot for 400 and see what happens when I get there. I am keeping my eyes out for a 2006+ lower mileage replacement as well.

I don't need it for hauling garbage or trailers, I have 2 trucks for those tasks. I am just happy having this as a daily driver.

Reactions: xavierny25

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
Hauled a 4000 lb. boat and trailer several hundred miles several times, moved the smaller stuff from 2 houses when we changed addresses, LOTS of construction stuff (sheet rock, lumber, cement blocks, etc.
so a 4'x8' sheet rock fits in the trunk.

I really need to remove my spare tire from inside the cabin. the carrier under the car seized up one day I'll attempt a repair drill the rivets out of carrier and replace old dried grease.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
@Sprung Monkey I had the same problem with mine, the stuck spare tire. I ground it with a grinder and ended up having to use a torch to cut the bracket that holds the wheel at the end of the metal wire.

Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
FB_IMG_1591762347026.jpgI can't find the total weight of the thing( takeuchi TB216) can only find the operational weight(I guess that's different, way I understood is that is basically the amount of force you can put on the bucket before it tips if setting right.) The trailer weighs a little over 1800#. Hauled this 78 miles(one way, mostly highway) and she was slow but got it done, and got it the other 78 miles to the rental yard when I was done with it. When I was loading it(no ramps, did it the good ole fashioned way) and set the tracks on the back of the trailer, it picked up the rear end for a second then kind bounced back and forth. Scared my wife half to death because I had her in the driver's seat holding the brake pedal in case it did pick the rear up.

Jul 24, 2012
Hauling retaining wall debris today. Just a yard at a time. But way cheaper than a demo dumpster.

Reactions: Mooseman

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011

View attachment 92098

Wow...lol, I just saw this. Was the trailer leveled off with dirt or domed? With 18" sides and leveled off, that would be about 8K plus the trailer.

I just recently took my smaller single-axle to the quarry to get a ton of 21A. You pull on the scale and tug on the cord to drop the stone. I had been there many years ago to get 10 tons at a time and remember how fast it fills.

So I gave it a quick tug and in about 2 seconds, I had 2 tons and the tires looked quite different...lol.

All was good, no damage, luckily I made a DIY unloader to save the day.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That poor TB must have been in 2nd gear the whole time dropping to first on any grades.

Towing our old 5200# loaded TT with the TB, hitting any decent grade would drop to 2nd. It pulled it but wasn't happy. That was why I switched to the Saab with its 5.3. Did much better however, just recently, it blew the motor while pulling our new TT with a dry weight of 5400# however was likely over 6000# loaded without water. The 5.3 struggled uphill, dropping to 2nd, which was when the rod bearing went. To note though is that motor always had a noise that I thought was piston slap. The Avalanche with its 6.0L and 4.10 gears is much better.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Can't have more versatile than this...

And when we put that sled in my son's Silverado Crew Cab, it stuck out by 4 feet. Love the Avalanche.

Attachments

• PXL_20201024_212317081.jpg
    PXL_20201024_212317081.jpg
    723 KB · Views: 14

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Can't have more versatile than this...

And when we put that sled in my son's Silverado Crew Cab, it stuck out by 4 feet. Love the Avalanche.

Don't know if putting the @ss end in first was an option (guessing the front skis were up as far as they'd go, anyway). But if not... you might've fit the entire length in -?
Not that it was hanging out a lot, anyway, and you'd never have been able to raise the tailgate, in any event. Just curious.

Tell the son he needs to get the 8ft bed, next time :laugh:

Did you find yourself cranking the heat a bit more, since you had the midgate open? 🥶

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Reminds me of when I am hauling my sled in my XUV.. Mines only a 138 thou. I cant afford them big boys..

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did you find yourself cranking the heat a bit more, since you had the midgate open? 🥶

Actually yes and cranked the seat heaters however, my son on the passenger side was getting more cold air than I was but wasn't too bad. It was around 5c out. Certainly wouldn't do this in the dead of winter.

I've never seen a sled loaded backwards except in enclosed trailers. Only thing that could prevent this is the windshield getting ripped off from catching the reverse wind. Wasn't a big deal and is a regular thing to have the track sticking out the back of trucks. As long as it's tied down properly and have a red flag attached if sticking out 4+ feet, you're legal.

Reactions: Reprise

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Only thing that could prevent this is the windshield getting ripped off from catching the reverse wind

Oh. Yeah. :dunce:

As for the bun warmers, I've already got at least the seatback one on at 10C. And that's with the windows closed 🔥

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I loaded it with pavers until the rear suspension completely bottomed out. At night this was a problem because the headlights were pointing at the sky:rotfl:
Fortunately I was only driving a few miles each trip.....
That also showed me that the jounce bumpers were crumbling. Never could find good ones at the PYP........

TonyNeal

Apr 10, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I have a 2002 Gmc Envoy 4x4 with a straight 6. Used it to tow a 32 foot Ford 460 Econoline motorhome, fixer upper, home after purchase.
It did surprisingly well, did a bit of fishtailing at higher speeds so a buddy sat at the wheel to hold it straight!
I was really impressed.
Didn’t bother the Envoy a bit.

l008com

Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I tow my boat all the time, but it's very light. 1900 lbs with trailer. It's very easy to forget it's even back there.

The trailer full of wall bricks was pretty heavy. Probably over the trailers limit. About 2625 lbs, plus ~600 for the trailer. We didn't drive far and we went nice and slow. It is a 3500 lb axle but I don't think those are 3500lb springs.

But the heaviest thing I've ever towed by far was the 50' towable lift. I didn't weigh it but it is listed as being 5000 lbs. And this was the only trailer I've ever towed that really felt like it slowed the truck down a lot. Luckily it had it's own brakes so stopping was still no problem. The lift was also super long from coupler to axle so it was a bit tricky to maneuver at times. I've never towed anything close to that heavy since.

Attachments

• IMG_5765.JPG
    IMG_5765.JPG
    890.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4555.JPG
    IMG_4555.JPG
    466.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 58887051_338601440186758_2837024644425616374_n.jpg
    58887051_338601440186758_2837024644425616374_n.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 7

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
wow you Guys are working the heck out of the trailblazors excellent work.
heres my last ride before the engine took a dump or parchiale dump plan to look inside the engine next few days. here's my last hauling job to the scrape yard.
didn't need the $12.s for the old frieg just mearsured it and pushed it in just to kill time. also a big tree limb hanging in my yard. and of course my cruiser the main objective for my 97x. I gotta get her back up and towing.

Attachments

• usefullness2.jpg
    usefullness2.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 5
  • usefullness3.jpg
    usefullness3.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 5
  • usefullness1.jpg
    usefullness1.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 5

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I crushed two sets of rear springs out of it... The worst was the skid steer. I do that with the colorado too but the TB... Probably 1000 over what it's rated to tow at least. The empty trailer is about 3500, the machine.... I don't want to talk about it. Oh and that's the only trailer the brakes don't work on... Don't judge me. I know... :drooling:

• Wow

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I blew the 5.3 motor in the Saab towing my 6500# RV trailer. However, it did have a noise that I thought for the longest time, since I owned it, was piston slap. She was done.

• Sad
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
If we're collecting uses for GMT360's.... you can count mine as a fire response car... full lightbar with pursuit switch, full fire gear in the trunk, and constantly driven like it was stolen 5 minutes ago. I've transported crews offroad and patients to landing zones in the middle of nowhere and driven through active brushfire to get to a safe place to let people out. (I can't do that anymore as I have a fuel vent leak and don't want to go BOOM.) I've also had to stand outside it for HOURS with it running with the lights on to direct traffic while a foot and a half of water ran under and around it.

Last edited:
Reactions: brad_ and Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online