Vehicle pulling to left when braking

Robmoo

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Fort Worth Texas
2006 Enovy 104k miles. The vehicle pulls to the left when braking. A few months back I replaced the shocks front and back, replaced the upper control arms and ball joints. Afterwards I got an alignment job. The issue continues. I'm wondering where is a good place to start trouble shooting this issue. I've read a bit about bulging brake lines in a pop up camper forum. I was towing the pup when I first noticed the issue. I just hopefully fixed the P0014 issue by replacing a VVT solenoid with a torn up filter screen. The joys of having no car payment!

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Have you inspected the lower control arms? When the lower bushings go bad, they tend to develop some play and could cause what you're experiencing. Any play when you grab the tire and shake/move side to side with one off the ground?

Bad caliper, kinked/collapsed brake line, or LCA bushings are good places to start I think. Mine pulled to the left last year after replacing my LCA's, but turns out it was from Firestone messing up the alignment. Problem went away after getting the alignment done at a Ma and Pa shop, and the issue returned sometime later but due to this bolt (circled below) coming loose giving it enough play to pull to the left when braking.

Attachments

• TB.png
    TB.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 13

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
most likely thing is a seized ( partially or otherwise) caliper. during the previous work, how easy was the caliper able to be compressed to remove it. One should able to "force" the cylinder back with just a screw driver levered on the brake pad.

The other check would be a thermal image / ir temp reading of the area and compare it across other wheels.

Reactions: Redbeard and Beacon

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
If... your brake hoses are going bad, they generally collapse on the inside and restrict fluid flow. The collapsed hose side will have a higher brake temp from dragging brakes, then when you apply the brakes it will pull on the opposite side as the bad hose side would have faded brakes, or slow application.

Seems more often it is a sticking caliper as mentioned and/or air in that caliper.

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
I was taught and of the mindset, that discription would lead to n inspection of the front braking system. Something is causing the drive side brake to engage before the passenger side. COuld be the drivers side caliber is not returning all the way when the brake pedal returns which would indicate a sticking caliper Or the passenger side pads are worn down more thus causing them to not engage the rotor at same time.

But also check what was mentioned about about the alingment as well

Reactions: BrianF

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Pop the calipers off to access the slide pins. Remove those pins, clean and add some silicone brake grease to them.

If your are pulling left it is likely your right brake hanging up. Do all the slide pins as preventative measure anyways.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online