Vcx nano tech2win evap service bay test issues

jjohnson1110

Original poster
Apr 9, 2021
Kent, Ohio
I have a vcx nano running on a windows 10 64bit laptop. It took me a little while to get it up and running right. As far as I can see everything including special functions work fine everywhere. I only seem to have issues with the service bay evap test. Basically the test will not run to completion no matter what. If I select the actual year of the vehicle at the part where you set parking brake and start vehicle it instructs to start vehicle and allow 2 minutes of run time, then tap the accelerator. If i follow these instructions, and press enter, when it goes to the page that shows all the evap data pids it either doesnt show the evap test active at the bottom or sometimes is does briefly and then says test complete, but doesnt update the service monitor and also doesnt allow for the engine off natural vacuum portion. If I change the year of the vehicle to one year older it gives the prompt to start and raise rpm to 1800-2200 for the duration of the test, but when i do this and press enter or press enter and raise rpm it doesnt run the test completely. There are no dtcs or anything that should be interfering. If anyone can shed some light I would appreciate it. I have plenty more info of many different ways I attempted the test to see what happened.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What software are you using? We don't have any experience with this adapter because anyone who has tried it had issues with it, mostly the software. I don't even know if it would work with Tis2000.

From what I was reading, there are 0 instructions included with this adapter and software. I did find some in an Amazon.ca review of all places:

Before you begin, make sure you do NOT have the VXDiag hardware you bought from Amazon connected to the computer!
1) Install the VM software “VMware-player”. Accept all the defaults. Be patient and let it finish. If it asks to reboot, do it. Also, never open the VMWare program itself. This is just installed with an image file that the other software accesses behind the scenes. All of the software you install will be installed on your normal Windows PC, NOT in the VMWare instance.
2) Install the VX software “VX Manager” (the VX software is for the diagnostic connector that connects to the car, and takes the place of GM's MDI). You may get an error about a missing “MDI driver”. That’s fine. Just ignore it. Again, be patient and let it completely finish the install.
3) Install Tech2Win. It is located in the “Tech2Win” folder and named “AutoInstall”. Again, be PATIENT. Let it finish. (This also installs the GM MDI driver for you)
4) Connect the USB cable to your PC and the VXDiag hardware you bought from Amazon. Now wait for it to find and auto install the driver for it. It will scan windows update, and for me this part of the install took almost 45 minutes for whatever reason. You can’t move to step 5 until this is completed.
5) BEFORE you open the Tech2Win program you just installed, you must first open and run the VX Manger software with the VXDiag hardware connected to the USB, so the VX manager recognizes it (if you do not do this FIRST, the Tech2 program will not be able to locate the interface in the next step, and will display "no communication".) The VX Manager software will open and say it is connected. If this doesn’t happen, you made a mistake in the previous steps.
6) With the VX Manager still running, open the Tech2Win application you installed, it will automatically open via a virtual machine on your computer passively, there is nothing you need to do with the VM software (this is also why you can use the software on a 64 bit computer).
7) Once the Tech2Win application opens it will ask you to “please choose an option”. Make sure the radio button next to “start” is selected, and below that click the corresponding button for your car make/model (for my Pontiac I used “North American”).
8) At this point it will ask you to “Select Manufacturer”. I had 2 options. Choose the first one for the “GM MDI” (this is NOT an MDI2 connector). Then it will ask you to “Select the interface you want to use”, you should only have one option if you are connected via USB, so select the USB connection.
9) Now you can connect to the vehicle and begin polling data. A couple of tips. Your car needs to be running for it to pull all of the data it needs. The 3rd digit of your vehicle’s VIN is the letter you want for your vehicle’s “product line”. If you have any issue with the Tech2Win software doing a connection timer count, or saying the CANdi module isn’t installed you chose the wrong options, or the VXDiag hardware isn’t properly connected to your car’s ODB2 port. You can also enable/disable CANdi emulation in the Tech2Win program under “options” on the main blue screen.

What year and model vehicle are you attempting to use it on?

Reactions: jjohnson1110

jjohnson1110

Original poster
Apr 9, 2021
Kent, Ohio
Sorry I should have included that. Im using the non wifi vcx nano on a windows 10 64bit laptop. I use vx manager, launch gm gds2/t2w through vxmanager, then open tech2win. Its very particular the order I open the programs and I have to launch gds2/t2w through vx manager or it doesnt recognize candi module. Vehicle is a 2009 buick enclave. The software is a pain and the directions are all over the place. It seems to work fairly well, just very particular about certain things.

jjohnson1110

Original poster
Apr 9, 2021
Kent, Ohio
Id say its 100% worth it if you can navigate the software and the directions. I have full access to all special functions and everything else. The service bay test is the only thing Ive had issues with.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds like a pain to use. I'm glad I have a Tech2 even though it can be a little finicky with the Tis2000 software but nowhere as bad as this.

Sorry I can't help you more than this.

jjohnson1110

Original poster
Apr 9, 2021
Kent, Ohio
Yeah i mean for the price id say its worth it and its highly available. But i wouldnt recommend unless your decent with computers and are willing to have patience figuring it out. Their instructions are horrible and if I recall correctly I had to uninstall everything and start over because the files have to be installed and opened in a certain order. Then update all firmware. After that it runs pretty smooth and works good vxmanager communicates with the nano and the gds2/tech2win is what emulates the candi module. I cant tell you how confused I was when I finally had everything right but when I went to open tech2win it wasnt recognizing the candi module. Thats when I figured out I had to open gds2 /t2w through vxmanager. I appreciate your time believe me Ive probably read every thing I can find online having any relevance to the topic. I feel like maybe Im not executing the initial procedure right or something small im missing. I know for sure the software is capable, I run all other special function tests normally. Parts of the service bay test work as they should and its like something in the time where it says to engage parking brake, start engine, raise rpm and hold for duration, and pressing enter something goes awry. I appreciate it though. Theres a lot of good knowledge on this site for sure.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.