Variable Voltage and amps.

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
I have an 05 Tahoe. Among the things I am going to be fixing/improving is the audio system. I have installed an aftermarket radio, a PAC module for integrating into the OEM electronics and recently an old amplifier I had stored away wired to the front speakers.

The problem I am running into is the amp sometimes goes into protect when I hit the gas. My first thought was that I had bad connections at the battery and the ground point, so I redid both, but the problem persists. The amp doesn't always go into protect, only when I hit the gas from a stop. From what I have observed, when the amp does go into protect, the Voltage Meter in the dash reads a little over 14v, but I never quite catch the reading at the moment the amp goes into protect. The amp is an older DX model from Kicker, so I am thinking it might be too sensitive to handle when the variable voltage pushes on the high side. Has anyone else had this issue with amplifiers in their vehicles? How did you resolve it?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Hook up your Digital Multi-Meter to your Alternator and while getting someone to raise and lower the RPM... Determine if the Alternator enters an Over-Voltage or Over-Charging Condition. If you determine this to be the case... the Truck Battery is also in jeopardy of becoming damaged and you should consider either Replacing or Re-Building the Alternator or its Rectifier(s)-Electronic Circuit Board via an R&R.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Have you had your battery tested? Maybe it's weak and the alternator is pushing more amps trying to charge it and when you let off the brakes and brake lights go out, it might have a slight surge. You can also have the alternator tested.

Reactions: Redbeard and mrrsm

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
Both the battery and the alternator are less than a month old. I'll have them tested tomorrow since it's always possible one is defective.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
True. I once had a bad alternator out of the box.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonH

Members Online