Valve Timing P0014

Woodbutcher79

Original poster
Jul 25, 2020
Columbus OH
General question: my Trailblazer is throwing P0014 and obviously P0300 as well. At the same time, when it runs, it has a "Death Hammer" sound., Like a failed rid bearing. I'm about to replace the VVT solenoid, but is this hammering noise normal when the solenoid fails? I'm a little terrified that the engine might be lunched.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
What year, mileage, oil service history? Can you post a sound clip or video of the engine noise?

Does it start cold with less noise then gets worse as it warms up?

Woodbutcher79

Original poster
Jul 25, 2020
Columbus OH
06 with 191k mi. I tried to post a video, to no avail. I have no service records. Recently bought it. I can't tell any difference in the noise. I'm going to replace the solenoid and see if anything changes.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Do you have a scanner that can read real time data? You might have a bad plug or coil that the PCM hasn't narrowed down yet, and a misfire can definitely make these trucks shake. Might not be directly related to the P0014, but certainly could be. If it hasn't been serviced fully/properly, you might be fighting multiple issues. Take a good look at the oil when you change that solenoid. If it looks dirty, change it out and start the new solenoid on fresh oil/filter conditions.

Good Luck!

Chris

Reactions: mrrsm

Woodbutcher79

Original poster
Jul 25, 2020
Columbus OH
My scanner doesn't have that feature. It's a cheapie. This isn't just shaking. It's hammering. I will definitely change the oil. It's due anyway.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
If the motor is hammering like what you describe as a rod knock, draining the oil is paramount. I would try to catch the first half gallon in a container and look for the teltale glitter in the oil.

Could be a cracked flex plate or loose or missing torque converter bolts.

Woodbutcher79

Original poster
Jul 25, 2020
Columbus OH
Yes. That's exactly what I did. Ran it over a strong magnet. Definitely bearing flakes in there. Sad. I like this truck, but it's not worth an engine rebuild.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Man....that sucks.. FWIW, if the frame and the rest of the body is in great shape, boneyard motors are quite plentiful. With the motor out, you could swap out a new input drum and band for your trans if you didnt want to completely tear down the trans.

I know it comes down to a good bit if labor and $$, but a short block would be good piece of mind.

OTOH, I get the fact another vehicle is a far easier choice.

Woodbutcher79

Original poster
Jul 25, 2020
Columbus OH
I have to replace it ASAP, but I might put a junkyard motor in it and then just sell whatever I buy. IDK yet. I drove it a little yesterday, just to get a better feel for what's going on. It has substantial top end damage too. It sounds like the cams are getting ready to fly through the valve cover.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It sounds like the cams are getting ready to fly through the valve cover.

Could be the chain tensioner. Mine sounded like that with the chain hitting the top chain guide. Anyway, it sounds like it has way bigger issues.

• Sad

Woodbutcher79

Original poster
Jul 25, 2020
Columbus OH
Serves me right for not watching the oil level close enough. It was consuming oil waay faster than I realized. I've only had it for 6 months, did one oil change, and I neglected to check it for about a month. When it went to shit, it was pretty low.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online