Using your Tech 2 with TDS online subscription and Tis2000

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I doubt that you'll find anything Quick and Dirty Stateside... The Damned Things have the Look and Shape of 'T-Rex Incisors' and are probably even MORE scarce. Perhaps Aliexpress.com has a 3-5 Day DHL Air-Mail Upgrade Option that WOULD cost a bit more; but still substantially cut down on the S&H Delivery ETA. That Angle is probably worth investigating.

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
I doubt that you'll find anything Quick and Dirty Stateside... The Damned Things have the Look and Shape of 'T-Rex Incisors' and are probably even MORE scarce. Perhaps Aliexpress.com has a 3-5 Day DHL Air-Mail Upgrade Option that WOULD cost a bit more; but still substantially cut down on the S&H Delivery ETA. That Angle is probably worth investigating.

Looking at them I noticed they say Saab, Opel...kinda confusing. I'm wondering if this is the general GM car one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...c2-4365-a13c-094971da7cf7&transAbTest=ae803_4

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It looks to be the right one HOWEVER, as of late, CBP has been actively seizing articles from China that are copies or clones of the real registered items. One Member had his Tech 2 seized by CBP. I would strongly advise that this is AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Reactions: GENMOTMAN

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
Good to know.....but who's CBP?

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Customs and Border Protection

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you look at the screen print that shows the section about half way down the page from your Link listed above... The way the "AliExpress.com Sellers 'avoid any entanglements' is by the hyphenation they place in between the "G" and the "M" as you can see inside of that Red Rectangle... so i'm in agreement with @Mooseman's observation that this USB Dongle SHOULD be the correct one.

All present unnecessary political and trade complications aside... IIANM... It was the Chinese that came up with the Use of the Dongle since the Tech-Line Proprietary Dealership Hardware never required them... and they may have become necessary when the Mortal Death Grip GM had maintained for so long was inveigled loose by Professional Mechanics who wanted a slice of the GM Job Pie and must have filed some kind of Class Action suit to win the right to use the Tech 2 equipment. As GM Owners and Users of said equipment We of course ...wound up being on "The Hind T**t".

So I'm not really sure whether or not they fall under the Umbrella of the Tech 2 Kits 'Raising the Hackles on the Backles..." of the Crowd over at General Motors because, for all intents and purposes... they work just like a Million other similar USB Devices. The OTHER reason I'm thinking this way is that ...Have you noticed how the Chinese Do NOT sell the USB Dongles as Part of the Tech 2 package? Well... with that observation in mind... I'm hopeful you can obtain the right one much sooner than later.

GMDONGLE.jpg

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just want to add that I just went through issues with TDS/SPS. It didn't want to connect to the Tech2 even though it did last year when I did my Caprice. Tried two laptops, including the one that once worked, nada. On the one laptop, the USB to Serial interface was not working under device Manager. Checked deeper and it was one of them damned Prolific chipped POS. Ordered an FTDI chipped adapter, worked like a charm with TDS however, there were no drivers for my old native XP laptop so had to use the hardware serial port on the dock.

Threw that prolific garbage in the thrash.

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
Good news. I was able to return the Chinese GM Tech2 and get a full reimbursement to include shipping. Bit surprised with the Chinese. I guess they've come a long way. That's an excellent way to do business. obd2tool.com did right by me....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online