Using your Tech 2 with TDS online subscription and Tis2000

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
While researching on how to use the Tech 2 with Tis2Web and a TDS subscription at ACDelco, I found these very useful videos. They show that you can use your Tech 2 to update modules using a TDS subscription. As well, he has another video on how to use it with Tis2000 to update modules without a subscription in remote mode.

And ACDelco's option of $40 for one vehicle is attractive for anyone with a 2008+ vehicle and need to update or program modules.

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
That pricing is somewhat new. It used to be $55 for 3 days of access but you could use it on any GM vehicle. I really like the $40 for 2 years of access for one specific vehicle.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And it's good for two years however, you can only update/program each module once. I may give this a shot to see if there is updated programming for anything in my 2011 Caprice.

Reactions: xavierny25

Lococoin

Sep 10, 2018
T1M0C7
Hi, new to the forums and found the site while googling for tech 2 info. I ended up ordering one, still shipping from China, thanks to this site.

Anyway, you mention this subscription for 2008+ vehicles. I have a 2007 classic. Wouldnt there be possible upgraded programming for modules for the 2007 and older that might have been released past the latest offline version? Or is that subscription purely for the newer vehicles?

Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It will allow you to update all the way back to 1996 (I think) but you can use the included tis2000 software to update modules up to 2008 (that's what I have available in tis2000 for gmt360 trucks).

However, you are right, there might be an update available through TDS that wasn't available in tis2000 when it was decommissioned. You can check to see if there is a newer version software than what's in your module by going here:
https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

Reactions: mrrsm and Lococoin

Lococoin

Sep 10, 2018
T1M0C7
Awesome, thanks for that link. I will make sure to bookmark that one to check calibrations once I get my tech 2. Cheers.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I was able to successfully update a couple modules in the Caprice. I now have a dome light that comes on with the door and remote start (if I had the proper remote).

It works just like in the video however, I found the following. For me, it worked on a 4 year old Celeron laptop with 8 MB of ram and Win 10 Pro despite their requirements for a Core I3 or higher. You must use Internet Explorer, buried somewhere in Win 10, since Edge won't work. And I had to uninstall the latest version of Java and install an old one they posted on their website. You also have to add two sites as trusted sites to work properly (they explain all this when you start SPS).

So this does indeed work :2thumbsup:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Damned greedy bastards just jacked up the price to $53 for one VIN for 2 years. Link also changed:

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
Maybe it is to compensate them for making their website look up to date. Although, it is still $40 for 2 years here. I think that is the price that it has always been. It looks much better than it did before. I also noticed that they took the wording away that made it look like you can only update a module once in the 2 year subscription. I just sent them an email asking about that. They usually respond in a couple of days. I will update with what they say.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, looks like they are charging according to country because $40USD comes to $53CAD. And at the bottom of the page, it says "GM of Canada". They should specify the currency.

Logging in to my account, I had to create a new password and update my info because of the migration to the new system.

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
Looking at that video, (GM SPS Programming: Tech2 Tool Remote Mode ECU TIS2000 Calibration Update), he quickly runs through the Tech 2 menu in SPS and says he has to enter a little bit of information about the vehicle's particuler brand, (year, make etc). In my case, my vehicle isn't even listed in the menu, (2007 Saturn ION), What does one do then? Anybody know?

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is this in the online TDS or Tis2000? If TDS, go here, enter your VIN and see what comes up. It's basically the same as TDS but just to look up calibrations available.

If in Tis2000, later years may not have been added as support for that software was dropping off in 2008. Your only option then might be a TDS subscription.

Reactions: GENMOTMAN

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
It's for TIS, (but I'm playing around with both). TIS gives me no issues other than what I wrote on the post, (the Tech 2 doesn't show anything in SPS for my 2007 Saturn when requesting info).

But TDS....now that's a cluster. An error message shows up in SPS "M4404: Please restart your Programming interface and press OK to retry! Press CANCEL to abort".

I've got AC voltage to the Tech 2, and I'm using a Tripp Lite Keyspan High-Speed USB to Serial Adapter, (USA-19HS), and the connection is good. I paid the subscription fee and I'm beginning to think that was a mistake. So so far, I cant get a link up with any of the both services.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Can you check the Settings for the Com Ports and INCREASE THE BAUD RATE and see if that has any Positive Effect? If your Battery is NOT right at Tip Top Shape and/or not holding above 12.7 VDC or Better... and/or if you're Powering the Tech 2 through the Bottom of the Tech 2 Hand Held Scanner Power Interface using 12VDC 1 Amp A/C Wall Power Unit instead of attaching that same Power Connector directly through the DLC Cable Female Power Receptacle on the OBD2 Adapter End ...right where it Plugs into the Female OBD2 Port under the dash... Then you might be getting some problems with subtle Voltage Drops and Fluctuations.

You've thought of all this already, I'm sure...But jik... make certain to Turn Off or Disable everything you can think of inside of the vehicle that draws any Juice from the 2007 Saturn Battery as well after Freshly Cleaning the Positive and Negative Battery Cable Connections as well. Even though you're Powering the Tech2 using a Steady AC/12 VDC Wall Power Source... if the PCM is not likewise getting stable juice from the car Battery... you can suffer dropouts in the Class 2 Network Communication during Pass-Thru activities. Hope this Helps... and... Welcome to GMT Nation!

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
Can you check the Settings for the Com Ports and INCREASE THE BAUD RATE and see if that has any Positive Effect?

Absolutely!

...and/or if you're Powering the Tech 2 through the Bottom of the Tech 2 Hand Held Scanner Power Interface using 12VDC 1 Amp A/C Wall Power Unit instead of attaching that same Power Connector directly through the DLC Cable Female Power Receptacle on the OBD2 Adapter End ...right where it Plugs into the Female OBD2 Port under the dash...

Yeah I saw that cable on a diagram somewhere online, (DLC Cable Female Power Receptacle). I'll check my kit for that cable and try it out to see what happens once I get home from work.

Welcome to GMT Nation!

Appreciate it brother. I though this was just for GM trucks and stuff but I guessed maybe it's OK to post about regular GM cars too.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Saturn did have some trucks (well, OK, CUV's and vans :biggrin: ). Tech 2 stuff here is not specific to trucks and could be useful to anyone with a GM vehicle. Saturn is a bit of a bastard child of GM though which may explain the issues.

• Wow
Reactions: mrrsm and GENMOTMAN

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
OK, here's what I got. Tried the DLC Female Power Receptacle Cable with ac power. No difference. Looked at the Baud and its 115....(the highest default setting).

I'm a noob so bare with me. It may not be a connection problem. You see I'm trying to chase down a no crank issue. Checked out all the fuses replaced and relearned the ignition switch, (no passlock light after relearn), tried everything to no avail. And this is before I got the Tech 2. The Tech 2 diagnostic pulled two DTC's and cannot communicate with other modules. The Two DTC's are Instrument Panel Cluster, U1000 Class 2 DATA LINK Malfunction, and B1384 Device ignition accessory circuit open. I hate guessing but I wonder if the BCM is done? I'm not the type of guy that's gonna swap out anything until I have a high degree of certainty. That's why I decided on the tech 2. I have a better shot at narrowing down the problem with a solution. I'm wondering if the lack of communication with the modules is the reason for the communication error.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If the Saturns are anything like other GM's, there should be a main data link where all the modules connect. It's like a hub. On trucks, it's a taped up black connector with a multitude of difference coloured wires going and when untaped, there is a metal "comb" that connects them all together. You would then jump one module at a time to the DLC and then ping it with the Tech 2. You will have to find a repair manual for your Saturn with wiring schematics to know which wires are what. There could be one module that is killing the DLC communications.

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
I read something somewhere about those comb looking things, (not necessarily to a Saturn), and I do have a wiring diagram for this car which I purchased before they went belly up. It is an electronic 2007 Saturn Chassis Manual. So is that what they call it? A main data link? I think that may be the DATA LINK CONNECTOR no?

Anyway, I saw on a tech 2 video a similar scenario and it turned out to be the instrument panel cluster module...but that was in the video.

Attachments

• B1384.jpg
    B1384.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DATA LINK CONNECTOR.jpg
    DATA LINK CONNECTOR.jpg
    964.5 KB · Views: 7
  • DTC's.jpg
    DTC's.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 6

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What you have circled is not it. The DLC is the port where you plug in the Tech 2.

I looked up schematics for a 2007 Ion (you didn't mention the model) and from what I can tell, you might not have the data splice pack like in other GM vehicles. If you can flip through the schematics in your manual, look for something like these. I did notice that the GM Classe 2 Lan seems to all be centralized in the BCM.

Attachments

• sp205.pdf
    161.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Splice pack end view.pdf
    195.6 KB · Views: 4

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This Diagram is for a 2006 Saturn ION ...but for the ease of finding the locations of the Right and Left sides Grounds/Splice Packs in your 2007 Car... it may yet prove useful:

2006SATURNIONSPLICEPACKLOCATION.jpg

Last edited:

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
......I did notice that the GM Classe 2 Lan seems to all be centralized in the BCM.

Interesting. There's that BCM thing again. BTW the electronic manual I have is cluttered and poorly organized. Additionally the wiring images are meant for a younger man's eyes, (small). I can tweak the images but it is a major effort at times. Just finding them is an effort so it is a slow process. I'll report back after work.

Oh and before I forget, my first question: Communication with the modules is not there, could that be the reason why I get the "M4404" error message from TDS?

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This Link does a great job of explaining that THESE SPS Trouble Messages are occurring as a result of Problems EXTERNAL to the present condition of your Vehicle and Tech2 Hardware:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Oh and before I forget, my first question: Communication with the modules is not there, could that be the reason why I get the "M4404" error message from TDS?

I was going to post an answer but after reading @MRRSM 's link, seems to be a problem between the computer and the Tech 2. Maybe it's the USB to Serial adapter you're using? Good read here on adapter issues and which one to get:

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
Maybe it's the USB to Serial adapter you're using? Good read here on adapter issues and which one to get:

Yeah that's the very same recommended adapter I'm using so that may not be the problem.

I've got two different set-ups:

1) A portable desktop with WINXP3 for TIS2000 with an OEM serial port on the MOBO.

2) A laptop running WIN7 with the serial adapter for TDS.

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
This Link does a great job of explaining that THESE SPS Trouble Messages are occurring as a result of Problems EXTERNAL to the present condition of your Vehicle and Tech2 Hardware:

Excellent source material. I will read into it. I'll have to try and figure out how to test the serial adapter with ancient working peripherals. I'll look in my electronic junk pile maybe I'll find an old printer along with an old moldy sandwich....LOL.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
It would not hurt to run an "All Systems" RS-232 Loop Back Test on your Tech 2 ...when time permits as well.

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
It would not hurt to run an "All Systems" RS-232 Loop Back Test on your Tech 2 ...when time permits as well.

The kit came complete with that loop back attachment for the test. Certainly will give it try. Thanks!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Almost forgot... Even though these problems might truly be EXTERNAL to your Vehicle... if the Saturn is suffering from a FUBRed Ignition Switch... when it comes time to address Power to the PCM using the "Key-On" Instructions during your initial Tech 2 Set-Up ...you could be getting fluctuations there if the Switch is Shorting during the Process. This link covers Diagnosing the B1384 "Ignition Open Accessory Circuit" Issue:

Last edited:

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
Thanks brother. I'm not happy with this Tech 2 Chinese pile of junk. I've should of known better. There's all kinds of minor build deficiencies with this clone. But the major hassle is that it will not communicate with TDS or the TIS2000 software that came with the kit. Loop-back test came back good on the Tech 2 but really I dont believe it. Self test good. Again, I dont believe it. I've verified the connections, used multiple cables to see if maybe its a bad cable, verified the com ports, (changed them to other ports). Made sure in the TDS software and TIS software that the connection was going through the correct port and still the software cannot communicate with the Tech 2 device in either TIS, or TDS. Spend too many hours on this. It should be a minor plug and play connection but it is quirky and poor. Can anyone suggest something that can do the programming as well as a tech 2 that wont end up costing more than the price of the car? I heard that this may very well be similar: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NACTAY8/?tag=gmtnation-20

But I really do need something that would handle the programing needs of this 2007 Saturn Ion.

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
Strange....got really irritated at this thing and walked away for an hour but left it hooked up to my desktop. Next thing you know there some kind of activity happening on its screen. Double checked I/O management in TIS2000 and ran the test again and the message read driver test successful. I'm dumbfounded. I guess one has to let this thing sit for a while before it communicates? Anyway this was my XP3 desktop using the OEM serial com port. I'll try it with TDS on my WIN7 using the Tripp Lite Keyspan High-Speed USB Serial Adapter, (USA-19HS) and report if letting it sit works?? BTW it's running on AC power.

Attachments

• IMG_20190605_214505171.jpg
    IMG_20190605_214505171.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190605_214525355.jpg
    IMG_20190605_214525355.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20190605_215401237.jpg
    IMG_20190605_215401237.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 10

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Very strange indeed. My clone has never given me grief like that with either my old XP machine and Tis2000 or the Win10 for TDS.

You have access to another vehicle you could try Tis2000 on? and you are leaving the Tech 2 at the boot screen?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I was wondering whether any Screen Saver, Power Saver or Firewall "Power Decline" or Time Out Issues might be involved with at least ONE of your involved Computers. Also ... I'm sorry that I forgot to mention one thing that can easily be overlooked ...and that includes examining the (8) Spring-Loaded 12-KG Wires inside of the "Hawk" (Hard Ware Key) HWK= "Dongle" Device that may need to be "Exercised" a half-dozen times to make sure that the Wire Tines are mating up perfectly with the hidden Gold Contacts within the Clear Plastic Ends of the RJ-45 Plug on the ends of the Silver Flat Ribbon Cable.

Using a "Graduated Eye-Ball" when looking inside of the "Dongle" 4-pair Flat Silver Ribbon Cable end may reveal them to be slightly off on occasion. Aligning those wires with even spacing might help if this turns out to be an isolated issue that needs to have absolutely EVERYTHING examined for the cause of this communication problem. Good Job on capturing your Computer Screen Imagery.

Even with these problems... Your notion that the The "GYMKO" Clone is the Cause and Origin of it all may turn out to be somewhat misplaced ...but very understandable frustration. You seem very determined to solve the problem... and this means that eventually, Brother... You WILL. :>)

Last edited:

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
.......I was wondering whether any Screen Saver, Power Saver or Firewall "Power Decline" or Time Out Issues might be involved with at least ONE of your involved Computers.

I'm pretty good at making OPS run without background interruptions. I created my own network and I dont really need firewall clutter or resource hogging software at the user level. Additionally, I can get any OPS to run efficiently. So a lot of those MS defaults are either turned off or the settings are adjusted.

.......Also ... I'm sorry that I forgot to mention one thing that can easily be overlooked ...and that includes examining the (8) Spring-Loaded 12-KG Wires inside of the "Hawk" (Hard Ware Key) HWK= "Dongle" Device that may need to be "Exercised" a half-dozen times to make sure that the Wire Tines are mating up perfectly with the hidden Gold Contacts within the Clear Plastic Ends of the RJ-45 Plug on the ends of the Silver Flat Ribbon Cable.

Using a "Graduated Eye-Ball" when looking inside of the "Dongle" 4-pair Flat Silver Ribbon Cable end may reveal them to be slightly off on occasion. Aligning those wires with even spacing might help if this turns out to be an isolated issue that needs to have absolutely EVERYTHING examined for the cause of this communication problem. Good Job on capturing your Computer Screen Imagery.

I'm at a loss there. What exactly is that? I dont use a "dongle". The Chinese retailer I purchased this from, (Obd2tool.com), e-mailed me a "dongle file". Without it TIS2000 would not get past the SPS without it causing a message that read it could not find a dongle key.

.....Even with these problems... Your notion that the The "GYMKO" Clone is the Cause and Origin of it all may turn out to be somewhat misplaced ...but very understandable frustration. You seem very determined to solve the problem... and this means that eventually, Brother... You WILL. :>)

Yes. I was just frustrated and blowing off steam. Thanks for all the help you guys are offering. I have a feeling that when yous guys where first twittling around with this thing there were all kinds of walls you slammed into too. LOL....

Last edited:

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
Very strange indeed. My clone has never given me grief like that with either my old XP machine and Tis2000 or the Win10 for TDS.

You have access to another vehicle you could try Tis2000 on? and you are leaving the Tech 2 at the boot screen?

I've got another WIN10 computer but I want to keep this at WINXP3 or WIN7 for now. My only other GM car is a late model Monte Carlo and its still brand new and under warranty so I cant mess with it yet.

I did leave the Tech 2 on the first menu screen and after letting it sit for an hour I got that activity screen, (is that what you mean by boot screen)?

Also, on SPS in TIS2000 I wasnt able to get past it because it wasnt connected to the vehicle. I was just doing a test to see if there was communication between the PC and the Tech 2. The application also has the ability to show the Tech 2 screen onto the PC if its communicating with the vehicle. But thats only if its connected to the vehicle, (and it wasnt). So I am getting somewhere now. I'll try some more test later this evening.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
FWIW... This is @southsidesmoka 's Epic Thread on how to install and use the Legacy TIS2000 Software on Windows 7-10 Machines ...if using an alternative USB to Serial Adapter becomes the issue:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Okay... NOW we're getting somewhere... Look around on the Tech 2 Forum... @Mooseman has a Link to where you can download a decent "Software Dongle Crack" that may supersede what you have installed right now. Personally... I prefer using the Physical Plug-It-In USB Port "Dongle" vs. using "The Crack" any day, as mine has proven to be the most reliable extra necessary piece of hardware for my Tech 2 Set-Up.

Basically the USB and "The Software Crack" provides something similar to a "Permission Slip" that allows TELNET- TTY Communications to pass between the Handheld Tech2 ...and the Old "Tech-Line" Fancy Dealership Terminal Machines from 1996 and later. The image I stole from your own image posted earlier ALSO shows a Serial Communications-To- (9) PIN DIN Plug circled in RED as yet ANOTHER Physical Piece of Hardware from The Good Ol' Days that... believe it or not... I've seen and used as proprietary Adapters that were ALSO Called "Dongles" (God ...I HATE That WORD!)

Anyways... Unless you already have one of THESE USB DONGLES...you can purchase an inexpensive Kit from aliexpress.com that Includes either a 2 or 3 Disk Set of TIS2000 CDs AND a USB Port DONGLE... that authorizes your Windows TIS2000 Software...to work:

DONGLE1.png

You can take your pick from this group of offerings from aliexpress.com for the CDs & USB Dongle Device:

USBDONGLE.jpg

One Last Precautionary Note...

If you decide to go the USB Dongle Route... It will make your life a LOT easier if you just Install a FRESH TIS2000 Software Suite...and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS AS TO WHEN TO PLUG IN THE USB DONGLE WHEN THE APPLICATION ADVISES YOU TO DO SO...

You Can NOT have BOTH the Software Dongle Crack AND the Physical USB Dongle Plugged in ...running simultaneously... The Non-Obvious Conflict will occur...and the Software Error will give no clear indication as to how to solve the SW v.s HW Conflict.

Last edited:

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
Okay... NOW we're getting somewhere... Look around on the Tech 2 Forum... @Mooseman has a Link to where you can download a decent "Software Dongle Crack" that may supersede what you have installed right now. Personally... I prefer using the Physical Plug-It-In USB Port "Dongle" vs. using "The Crack" any day, as mine has proven to be the most reliable extra necessary piece of hardware for my Tech 2 Set-Up.

Basically the USB and "The Software Crack" provides something similar to a "Permission Slip" that allows TELNET- TTY Communications to pass between the Handheld Tech2 ...and the Old "Tech-Line" Fancy Dealership Terminal Machines from 1996 and later. The image I stole from your own image posted earlier ALSO shows a Serial Communications-To- (9) PIN DIN Plug circled in RED as yet ANOTHER Physical Piece of Hardware from The Good Ol' Days that... believe it or not... I've seen and used as proprietary Adapters that were ALSO Called "Dongles" (God ...I HATE That WORD!)

Anyways... Unless you already have one of THESE...you can purchase an inexpensive Kit from aliexpress.com that Includes either a 2 or 3 Disk Set of TIS2000 CDs AND a USB Port DONGLE... that authorizes your Windows TIS2000 Software...to work:

View attachment 89122

You can take your pick from this group of offerings from aliexpress.com for the CDs & USB Dongle Device:

View attachment 89123

One Last Precautionary Note...

If you decide to go the USB Dongle Route... It will make your life a LOT easier if you just Install a FRESH TIS2000 Software Suite...and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS AS TO WHEN TO PLUG IN THE USB DONGLE WHEN THE APPLICATION ADVISES YOU TO DO SO...

You Can NOT have BOTH the Software Dongle Crack AND the Physical USB Dong;e Plugged in ...simultaneously... The Non-Obvious Conflict will occur...and the Software Error will give no clear indication as to how to solve the SW v.s HW Conflict.

Yeah definitely was thinking about that for sometime now, (and I do know that I would have to completely uninstall the program and do a clean re-installation). I'm not really keen on these software hacks, (cracks), and I would hope the retailer that sent me this software "dongle" didn't actually send me a hack.

I did look into purchasing that CD kit but my problem is the three week delivery times. I'd rather have the physical dongle thingy. Does anyone know a USA retailer that I can order from?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online