Using Factory Remote

fevrej

Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Not sure if this has been answered elsewhere, but I was wondering how to install a RS unit (specifically which wires to connect to) in such a way that you can use the factory remote and start the truck remotely. I've tried searching and only found the thread on the OS about someone having a RS without realizing it and being able to start it by pressing lock and then unlock three times. I'm fine with that setup (lock and 3x unlock) but I am unsure of how easy it is to do?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I've seen it, read about it, but never installed one.

The r/s unit needs to have an "activation input" which will interpret lock (or unlock) pulses as a r/s activation signal. So if that input is set to 2 lock pulses, then when you hit lock two times it will start a r/s sequence.

I guess if you have the skills to install the r/s unit then adding the OEM fob shouldn't be a big deal.:cool:

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
What you are describing is originally exactly what I wanted to do. I went to a reputable shop here in town and the guys I use basically told me its do-able in some older vehicles but with our platform it isn't worth the trouble trying to make it work. I ended up with a Code-Alarm brand remote start and the remote functions exactly like the OEM remote and retains all the same features. The lock button honks the horn when pressed twice, unlock does the driver door once, then all doors when pressed twice. The trunk button obviously does us no good, so they were able to set it up as the 'panic button'. And lastly the red star button starts the TB when pressed twice. So basically I was able to keep the same setup as my OEM remotes, and add remote start. The key fob isn't my favorite, but it was the closest match to a gm one I could find. This has been at least 5-6 years ago so who knows what other models are out there now but I think you'll be happy with an aftermarket setup. I have had ZERO trouble with mine in the 5-6 years I've had it.
usyremep.jpg

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Ps I can also still use the OEM remotes as well, so I have remotes to go with my extra sets of keys/vacation sets.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher