User Info Banner

coleman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Noticed that the vehicle year and mileage are missing from the user info banner to the left of each post.

Will that be added in at some point?

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
coleman said:
Noticed that the vehicle year and mileage are missing from the user info banner to the left of each post.

I know we are planning on adding the year. I don't think we had discussed adding mileage. Something else for us to consider!:cool:

jham

Nov 20, 2011
coleman said:

I believe that the year will be added at some point not sure on mileage since that changes so much I would doubt that

coleman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
jham said:
I believe that the year will be added at some point not sure on mileage since that changes so much I would doubt that

I would probably update mine every thousand or so miles. As long as people keep it current, knowing the OP's mileage right off the bat could come in handy for troubleshooting questions. It's also fun to see how many miles folks have on their trucks. Easier to see it in their banners than to skim through pages of a "How many miles do you have as of today?" thread. Maybe make it optional? Just a suggestion.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I would probably never fill out the mileage info there. I am more likely to mention it in the posting that I ask the question in.

coleman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
djthumper said:
I would probably never fill out the mileage info there. I am more likely to mention it in the posting that I ask the question in.

Hence the optional part. Display the value if it exists, else skip it.

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
To answer the OP, yes. and no. The year will be added, the mileage will not. That has never really worked out, so we are not going to display mileage.

Due to the length of some of the color names, I may have to work out the userinfo portion of the postbit under the avatar. Once that is done, the year will be displayed.

I don't want to add too much stuff or the blank space of each post will be out of control.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
I agree that the number of lines for the user info is generating a bit too much whitespace... Depending on just how much you can customize the code, can you consolidate the info?

• Online/offline status becomes an icon next to username (shows the words online/offline when you hover over the icon)
  • Number of posts + join date -- "199 posts since Nov 2011"
  • I know the color was listed on the old site, but does it really matter? It seems there are usually pictures attached when color is being discussed.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Maybe instead of every line having a box around it (and thus taking up more space) it should be a bit more condensed? As Shdwdrgn said, have an icon that changes when someone is online/offline, like a green light that turns on and off, or something like that.

Here's a capture of what another site has that I'm a member of to illustrate what I mean. Green dot to show I'm online, all the info underneath my avatar with standard text formatting, etc... Instead of the "thanks" info since we don't have that here, we could have the vehicle info on those two lines. Even with the much larger avatar that still takes up about the same space as our current user info spot, so using our avatar sizes here with that layout would shrink the space used considerably. Though I'm not against a little bit larger avatars :biggrin:

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 3

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online