Usb and audio port

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Alright guys I'm looking at deleting my rear wiper. So thinking about replacing the wiper switch with a blank plate that has 1 or 2 usb ports and a 3.5 mm plug in it. Running 1 of the usb to the usb of my radio and then the other as a power port for charging devices. Then the 3.5mm will also go to the radio too.

My question is what exactly am I looking for in the usb ports? I'm alright with soldering but just don't know what kind of port I'm looking for to mount it in the plate, and the same thing with the 3.5mm port. I've searched eBay some but not for sure what keywords I should be searching..

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
For the charging port, they make some that can be wired directly to 12v and it steps it down but for the port that you're wanting to interface with your radio will have to be an extension from the existing USB port on the radio so that it can transfer data.

Or you could get the splitter deal like Brandon linked and let the radio power both
ports plus get data from whatever two sources are plugged in. Not sure how your radio would like having two media sources plugged into it via USB at once though so the splitter might not work.

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
It would work for charging, but you are not likely to find a plate with 3.5mm and 2 usb. why don't you just get this and call it a day?

$_12.JPG

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Because it'd be cool and unique to have built in USB ports. :yes: I've thought about it before but never did any shopping for the direct wire-in 12v to 5v USB ports. Might actually look about them now since this rustled the mod bug in my head lol

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
I thought bout getting a hold of him.. But didn't think he would be interested in taking all the time to make just one plate lol

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Wouldn't hurt to ask. He'd just have to take a like time designing it then print it. Don't sound like a huge deal to me but I've never messed around with designing parts so idk.

Knucklehead

Jul 23, 2014
I was thing if doing this awhile back after my audio install. I did a a 3.5 port in my full size Chevy it was easy after you figure out what wires your tapping.

. I haven't added the usb port yet. But Chevy does make ones that replaces your cigarette lighter. Came in the newer Chevys or SS silverados I believe. I was just gone go that route. But there pricey.

I'd be interested in a plate drowning on price. Maybe 2.

Would these be blank? Or have 2 USB ports cut out already?

gmc4flash

Mar 25, 2015
I put almost that exact part for the 1st link posted in my avalanche recently when I replaced the existing bose with a pioneer. It works great, howevermost radios do not like "hubs" which is esscentially what you would have with a 2 into 1... So I went with 1 usb and 1 aux in.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online