Upper and Lowerball joints

mika

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I have to change the upper and lower ball joints, I have done all the reading I need to do and know how to do the job. The only question I need to know is, has any one ever done this job without the 21 piece ball joint press set? Is it possible to use heavy walled pipe and a big C-clamp? or is that just a waste of my time and just rent the proper tools?

Thanks guys, because once its up on blocks and half apart it's kind of hard to go rent the tools.:smile:

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
I think you are better off renting the 21 piece. You don't want to get under the truck and try your own tool and be SOL. Renting the tools is free (after returning them of course) and you will be glad you did.

Gevans17

Jan 8, 2012
seanpooh said:
I think you are better off renting the 21 piece. You don't want to get under the truck and try your own tool and be SOL. Renting the tools is free (after returning them of course) and you will be glad you did.

Borrow the tools from Auitozone. Strongly suggest you use an impact wrench for this job.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
air hammer and sockets can do it, i never tried it but in theory it seems like it would work

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online