Uplander seats?

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
"Hey man, wrong forum. This is..."

Yeah, I get it. Let me explain.

I was sitting next to an Uplander today at a light and noting that the front shared many design qualities with my TB. This sparked an idea and while sitting in the car line at my kids' school I did some searching and looking at the seating, mostly at the mid-row buckets and trying to get an idea of how they were mounted, because I would love to replace my 60/40 and put in a center console for the kids. I checked online for measurements and the TB EXT is actually a couple inches wider than the Uplander.

So I am throwing out a feeler: Is anyone familiar with the interior of the Uplander and have an idea of how involved a swap might be?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I believe that you will need to do custom mounting plates

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had an SV6 (sister of the Uplander) and the seats weren't that good. On top of that, no seat belts on those, only the rear ones.

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
Hmm. No seat belts is a deal breaker for me. I will have to keep looking. Back in the day, I would just get a pair of Fiero buckets, slap them in and call it good. Age, it seems, has mellowed me a bit.

Thanks guys.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
On top of that, no seat belts on those, only the rear ones.

Hunrh? ::applies affected Scooby-Doo voice:: Wondering how GM got that past NHTSA, et al. I thought belts were mandatory at all seating positions since...'64 ?

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's on the vans B pillar instead of in the seat.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The 2nd row seat belts for us are on the C pillar too, so I'd think all you need to do is make sure the seat belt catches and releases, and that part would be covered.

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
I thought it odd that there were no belts, but wasn't going to push the issue. I will be going to my local junkyard soon and looking for some front seats to replace my current ones (hopefully the leather electric ones with heating are still there). I will see if they have any uplanders and take some pics of the mounting points to compare with my TB. The biggest concern I have is the flip-forward nature of the TB's seats to access the fuse box.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
It's on the vans B pillar instead of in the seat.

Ah - ok. I thought you meant "no belts, and no provision for them".
:::heeheeheeheeheehee::: (scarfs down a Scooby Snack)
(looking at some pics online, the buckle / latch is integrated in the seat; since those were pretty standard back then, even across platforms, I'll put money on 'fits'...lol.)

The biggest concern I have is the flip-forward nature of the TB's seats to access the fuse box.

I'll bet a (sturdy) clevis pin / mount could be rigged up, if 'quick access' was desired. But how often does one *really* need to get to the rear box, especially on an 'immediate' basis? If major fabbing was needed to adapt the seats, though, I might explore that option. You'd also lose 3rd row passenger access, but something tells me that's a minor concern for you, at best.

The other thing I noticed on the Uplander 2nd row is that it is in theatre / stadium configuration, where row 2 is mounted to 'see over' row 1. Most of that is probably floorpan design in the Uplander - but check headroom in both.

While the seats would fit, you want to ensure enough headroom to prevent little noggins from hitting the roof - and the pain that that would cause (for you, via the wife - the kids themselves will prefer the buckets / console enough that they won't complain) :laugh:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online