Upgrading to bigger wiper blades

Short Bus

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
If you step up to a 24" or 26" blade on the left (drivers) side it will get rid of that annoying triangle shaped spot missed by the wipers. I don't have any pics of this.
Also when I got my rear wiper blade they didn't have the 16" so I got a 17" and damn the clearance was tight with the handle on the rear window.

rear OEM 16" max 17 but it's a tight fit

Right side OEM 22" max 22"

Left OEM 22" max 26"

Clearance with 17" rear blade

1222001325a.jpg

1222001325.jpg
[/QUOTE]

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Thanks for posting this up. I could use new wipers and forgot we could bump up the drivers side size.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I've only got the motor for the rear wiper, and in a few weeks, it's leaving. The support mechansim for one of the front blades is busted, so I am going to replace that soon. What we really need is heated wipers...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
DJones said:
I've only got the motor for the rear wiper, and in a few weeks, it's leaving. The support mechansim for one of the front blades is busted, so I am going to replace that soon. What we really need is heated wipers...

I NEED my rear wiper far too often to think of removing it. What does the removal gain you?

Never once desired heated wipers or think I have actually ever seen them. I start the truck and turn on the defrost and by the time I scrape the windows, I dont have any issues with the wipers.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
HARDTRAILZ said:
I NEED my rear wiper far too often to think of removing it. What does the removal gain you?

Never once desired heated wipers or think I have actually ever seen them. I start the truck and turn on the defrost and by the time I scrape the windows, I dont have any issues with the wipers.

Mine doesn't work, I can't use it, I don't have a need for it, and it looks ugly. And the bondo that is already back there is cracking and rust is coming through. It must be fixed.

Even with defrosted and scrapred windows, I get massive amounts of ice buildup on the wipers. The only way to remove it is to bang them against the glass until it breaks and falls off.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
You can fit a 26 on the drivers side and a 22 on the passenger. Clears pretty much the whole window. And the clearance in the back increases a bit when you take the handle off the glass. My truck had 2 24's on the front when I got it. Didn't interfere in the middle, but looked stupid with the passenger side sticking out off the windshield

Short Bus

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
the roadie said:
Is there a shortage of frickin' razor blades in your town or something?

:hissyfit:

View attachment 3712

The pics are old ones that I had posted on the OS. That decal was replaced with one under were the handle was when I shaved it and that one is now MIA.

SBUBandit said:
You can fit a 26 on the drivers side and a 22 on the passenger. Clears pretty much the whole window. And the clearance in the back increases a bit when you take the handle off the glass. My truck had 2 24's on the front when I got it. Didn't interfere in the middle, but looked stupid with the passenger side sticking out off the windshield
My Drivers side wiper is messed up, so I'll try the 26"

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
Short Bus said:
The pics are old ones that I had posted on the OS. That decal was replaced with one under were the handle was when I shaved it and that one is now MIA.

Ahh.... Redemption! :wootwoot:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Great info, I was complaining this past week to myself that I need some new blades as they are streaking a bit. So 24" fit on the drivers side, do 26" fit? Im a fan of Bosch Icons or RainX Latitudes, only had the Boschs on my TBs the last 5 years though (Latitudes I put on a Jetta).

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Me007gold said:
If you are worried about clearance with the larger rear blade, its easy to remove the handle

DSC_0657.jpg

Do we have the handle delete mod posted over here yet?

Short Bus

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
It's confirmed, a 26" blade will fit on the drivers side. Will a mod please correct the OP

SBUBandit said:
And the clearance in the back increases a bit when you take the handle off the glass.

If you look at the pics in the OP, I don't think there's clearance for a blade longer than 17" at the top of the window, but maybe someone will try a 18 and let us know.

lint

Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:

My friend gets up makes a huge pot of coffee ,goes out and starts the truck then pours half the pot of coffee over the windshield . It works for him, lol . No scraping .

Short Bus

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
lint said:
My friend gets up makes a huge pot of coffee ,goes out and starts the truck then pours half the pot of coffee over the windshield . It works for him, lol . No scraping .

Good plan, until his windshield cracks :duh:

lint

Dec 4, 2011
Short Bus said:
Good plan, until his windshield cracks :duh:

I cringe every time I see him do it ,But he does it every morning in winter with frost . snow and ice.

Short Bus

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
I fixed the pics :crackup:

Short Bus

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
TexazReece said:
Im upgrading my driver side to 24 :yes:

In case you missed it, I got a 26 and it fits

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
After skimming this thread, I decided to try the 26/22 combo as well. Dropping these on the counter at the store made the attendant pause due to the size differences :laugh: We'll see how these do the next time I get caught in the rain, but the fit looks promising for great coverage. :thumbsup:

20180903_102522.jpg20180903_103137.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I ran 24 for a couple years but am back on 22 cause I had them in the garage and needed new ones. I really do not notice a difference in the actual area I look through.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Main reason for using a longer blade is to get rid of that little triangle in the middle that doesn't get wiped. I run a 24 on the driver's side just for that.

Oh, and I just use gool 'ol fashion metal framed wipers in summer and winters in winter. Wipers are disposable and I change them with the seasons. Why spend $60+ on something you'll be replacing in 6 months regardless?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Agreed. Mine get thrashed by pud so i use cheap ones more often than trying to nurse life out of expensive ones. I guess I tend not to need to see out the little triangle in the middle cause I dont really notice it being there .

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I guess I'm a little more fortunate, not having to deal with snow and mud adding stress to them. I'll usually get a few years out of my wipers, and had always gone with whatever size was spit out by the computer. Can't remember how old this last pair was, or even what brand they were (I think Bosch?) but the driver's side was also starting to split. Figured I'd change it up, just cuz I could, and see how it goes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher