Upgrading a power wheels.

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Last year we got my son a 12 volt corvette and apparently he wants it too go faster.

So my project is to connect to two similar batteries in series to double the volts to 24. Just hope the wiring and motor will hold up. Each battery is rated for 7Ah. So I should get a fuse as well calculated using the gauge wire I have been dealt inside this thing. It might be alright. I will check the motor rating as well to see if it can handle the load.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
My brother told a story a while back about him and his friends in high school. Said they put a normal car battery in one and that they could pop wheelies in it hahaha. Maybe that's a thought if you just have a spare battery laying around.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Higher current (amps) would require heavier gauge wire. Over volting the motor might be an issue though. Can you pull the motor and look at it?

Jared

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Mounce said:
My brother told a story a while back about him and his friends in high school. Said they put a normal car battery in one and that they could pop wheelies in it hahaha. Maybe that's a thought if you just have a spare battery laying around.

In this case, you wouldn't go any faster. Although the battery would probably last a long time. You need to up the voltage to increase the amps.

Do you know how many amps the motor will draw at 12 volts? Is there a horse power rating?

Increasing the current MAY OR MAY NOT require bigger wires.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I think the larger battery didn't drop in voltage as when the peddle got mashed.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Last year we got my son a 12 volt corvette and apparently he wants it too go faster. So my project is to connect to two similar batteries in series to double the volts to 24. Just hope the wiring and motor will hold up.

Hate to break it to you, but it's not going to happen. Unless......you upgrade the wiring, gearboxes, and throttle control.

I have a Gator for the 5YO and have been messing around with this for awhile. What I did was take two UB 12150 15Ah batts and wired them in parallel so he can bash around for about an hour. Granted you can switch the batteries but he has full juice for a solid 45 min or so running dual batteries.

There are 24V power wheels and the Gaucho?... comes to mind. You need the 24V gearboxes as well as the foot control. I actually changed the stock motors in the Gator for the Traxxas Titan but they pull some big juice, you need to upgrade the wires and go to a 40A breaker. They are faster but again pull big amps.

The best thing to do is get the 24V gearboxes and use a scooter throttle control, they need like 20V min to operate but are linear and not too expensive. You can go 36V and just use a limiter as some controllers even need more that 24V to even turn on.

Oh the fun begins....:biggrin:

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
all this guy did was add a additional battery to his jeep and it seemed to work and go faster.....

[video=youtube_share;pzGgGgVEKuA]http://youtu.be/pzGgGgVEKuA[/video]

Reactions: dmanns67

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Absolutely, doubling the juice will let them rock. I forgot to mention it does depend on terrain, flat surfaces like that vid and it may work ok, but add in grass and hills then it's a whole other ballgame.

Chris JW

May 13, 2014
I just put a marine battery in my girls barbie jeep and it seemed to go faster like the original didnt have enough capacity when they floored it. Thinking about putting some old riding lawnmower tires on it so it doesnt spin the BT's so much

BHAMER

Aug 22, 2014
I looked into this a while ago for my nephews. There are a bunch of mods you can do, If i remember correctly the motors are a standard 440 rc car motor, you may be able to get "hotter" motors for them. I actually found a cd on ebay for modding power wheels.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online