Updated ignition switch info and operation

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Found this video from a new channel through the Caprice forum I'm on and it's very informational on the ignition switch's operation. I didn't even know it was updated.

And now we know!

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
I am surprised that GM added a bit of tungsten to the contacts because it isn't one of the cheaper elements around but am glad to see they have improved it. Now I'm curious if the new ignition switch I installed in the last year or so was the new design.

edit: Went back to RockAuto and it turns out I changed out the ignition switch June of 2018, and photo shows the new design :smile:

Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I wonder what year they started using them. I'll have to look at my original '07 column to see what's in it. The one I put in was an '08.

So keeping a spare switch may no longer be necessary :smile:

Reactions: mrrsm and Redbeard

bfairweath

Oct 20, 2013
Neenah, WI
I'm on ignition switch number 5 in my truck, but I haven't had to change it since about 2009 so they definitely fixed the problem. It was changed almost yearly either under warranty or by me for the first five years I had the truck. I'm almost sure the one I have in there now has the gray plastic piece.

I, too, keep a spare switch in the truck. It's been riding around for 10 years.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
My 08 had the gray plastic cap and the replacement also had a gray cap. I only replaced it because I was trying to figure out some electrical issues I was having. Since the old 1 wasn't the issue it is still in the glove box just incase.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online