Unlocking factory bose radio

TexazReece

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Hello I just swapped out my factory bose headunit to another factory bose headunit with 6 disc changer. I installed it it first said locked then not locked and now its locked again. My question is can I unlock it myself rather than paying stealership $75? I thought there was a thread for unlocking radio but didn't come up in search. Thanx in advance for your help

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
TexazReece said:
Hello I just swapped out my factory bose headunit to another factory bose headunit with 6 disc changer. I installed it it first said locked then not locked and now its locked again. My question is can I unlock it myself rather than paying stealership $75? I thought there was a thread for unlocking radio but didn't come up in search. Thanx in advance for your help

i think you might have to bite the bullet and go to the dealer... in all my readings about factory swaps throughout the multiple forums, i have never come across them being unlocked without a dealership... but then again, we could be wrong.. hopefully others chime in with their experiences...

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I've seen services on the web but don't remember the prices.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
The radio has to be programmed with your VIN...pretty much tech2 only. Looks a trip to the stealers for you.

mwking

Dec 7, 2011
I made the swap from a single disk factory headunit to a six disk bose unit as well. The other posters are correct, you need someone with a tech2 to program your vin into the headunit. Before you do though, if you haven't already, pull the fuse from the radio for a second and then turn the key to acc. The radio should be unlocked and you should run though all the functions on the radio to make sure it is working properly before you spend the money to get it reprogramed. As soon as you turn the key to run the radio will communicate with the vehicles computer and lock, but you can just pull the fuse again if you want to retest it. $75 is pretty steep for all that is involved, I would make a couple of calls and see if you can find a better deal. It only takes a few minutes, I only paid about half of that.

TexazReece

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks , I will try pulling the fuse and see that could save me $$$. Thanks again :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online