Unknown Groaning Sound

MrDJ

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but here it goes:

A little over a month ago, I replaced my rear shocks with Monroe Sensa-Trac 58644 Load-Adjusting Shocks (Monroe Sensa-Trac 58644 - Shock Absorber | O'Reilly Auto Parts). I have recently started hearing a groaning sound from the back of my truck when the shocks seem like they are being heavily used.

I know that is a little vague but that is the only way I know how to explain it; a groaning sound from the back of my truck. Is this enough information for anybody to have some idea on what is going on?

Thanks for any help!

MrDJ

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
fadyasha said:
Hmm... What causes the sound? Bumps and so? Or normal driving?

Bumps will sometimes cause it but i have noticed it most on dips in the road when the tires drop quickly and then the rest of the car drops and settles on top of it. Normal driving does not cause it. Hopefully that makes sense...:confused:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Sounds like the shocks may be too short and hitting full extension and bottoming out. And then the vehicle is coming back down onto them.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Sorry to revive an older thread, but I am noticing this a lot lately too.

Groaning seems to come from the rear when the suspension travels further than normal. I can hear it over smooth dips and longer bumps rather than short and sharp excursions. It is not the suspension bottoming out, but sounds a lot like rubber groaning.

I also have the Sensa-Trac shocks, but I don't know if that is a factor.

The old test of bouncing the bumper to test your shocks just does not work on our trucks because of the weight. I might have to drop my rear shocks and try compressing them by hand to see if they are simply wearing out. (I hope not. They are good shocks and only 2 years old!)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online