Unknown fluid leak

jfkmk

Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Hey all,

I have a strange leak near the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side of my 06 Envoy. Engine is the 6 cyl. The radiator is wet and I can't see the source since its above the plastic fan shroud. The strange thing is, the fluid is green and kind of oily and does not smell. This does not match the color of the trans fluid, the power steering fluid or the coolant. Any ideas from the experts?

Thanks in advance!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I had something similar on my I6 a couple of months ago, main difference is, I was changing out the AC hard line that has a connection right next to the upper radiator hose. When we put the new piece in, we noticed some green fluid, and I thought it was coolant until I popped the radiator cap and saw it was red.

Does your AC run OK? Compressor engage and all?

jfkmk

Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
So far, the AC works great. I was wondering if it might be the AC but never saw that much fluid from an AC system.

jfkmk

Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
ive had the vehicle since 35k miles and knew the original owner. The AC has never been worked on, do you think there would be dye in it? Unfortunately though, I think you're right about it being AC. There's nothing else in the area that makes sense. I'll investigate more this weekend. Thanks for the replies!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Uh... You might want to be a little careful...as the PAG 150 Fluid (Poly-Alkyl-Glycol) will not do you any good if you give that stuff "The Taste Test". This toxic and irritating stuff is the Generic AC Internal Lubricant that also absorbs moisture and flows through the Compressor, Accumulator and the Condenser and Evaporator via high and low pressure lines on opposite sides of any HVAC System. Usually, they require using between 6-8 Ounces in the standard automotive AC application for the entire system.

The PAG-150 goes in looking Crystal Clear during re-builds ...but will mix with the "Day-Glow" Green Dyes that can be pressure-added with a sealer on the Low Side, Return Line of the system. The cycling of the R-134A Flavor of the Freon mixes it all together. Generally you never see this stuff... unless your HVAC System is leaking somewhere and sometimes on good systems that have leaking AC Gauge Connectors. If your AC when set on the High Cool setting is expelling Hot Air...and you find this stuff around dripping... the AC System is compromised and will require repair.

Unless you have and really know how to use a 2-3 CFPM Double Scroll Vacuum Pump, Compressed Dry Nitrogen and a decent set of Auto HVAC Gauges, along with a "Field Piece": or proper electrical testing tools... Leave this one to the experts at the "Ice Cold Air" place on the corner nearest to your house. Only install an OEM AC Compressor made by either AC-Delco,,, or Delphi...or you will have to do the job all over again in less than six months if you use a 'Bargain" knock-off or a re-manned or re-built compressor.

Your Best Friend to try out first though on these "Mystery Fluids" problems... is to use a very large piece of clean cardboard laid out precisely under the vehicle for an overnight Drips Session... Mark the relationship between the cardboard and some landmarks parts of the vehicle, so that after sliding the cardboard "blotter" out from under the vehicle in the morning...you can diagnose what components are adjacent any leakages.

Last edited:
Reactions: xavierny25

jfkmk

Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
MRRSM, you hit the nail on the head! BTW, I think Hardtrailz was joking, not too many folks analyze fluid by tasting it. Although, I do know a few people....

Anyway, because I'm finishing a large home project, we're using the Envoy to go camping next week, and I suspected others were right in that it was AC related -and I do NOT have the appropriate tools to work on the AC system, I took it in to the shop. Turns out the ac system is indeed leaking.

Thanks again, everyone, for your usual insight and sound advice! You guys rock!

chogardjr

Mar 29, 2016
Texas
If you see leaking in that area after this I would check your power washer motor. Mine had a small crack that only leaked when the motor was turning, on the front AND back motor. I was using the pink Rain-X washer fluid in mine. I saw the wet radiator on the bottom passenger side and thought the worst. Once I figured out it was only coming out when the washer motor was running and I saw it was pink, it was a pretty easy fix :wink:

Reactions: xavierny25

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.