Unknown Driver

Keltonc87

Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
California
So randomly I’ve been getting the “unknown driver” it started the first time after I washed the truck and quickly just washed under the hood. The gauges were dead, no a/c, no power windows or locks. I unhooked the ground on the battery and hooked it back up and it’s fine. I recently hooked up electric exhaust cutouts and when I open the cutouts the gauges tweak out and pops up unknown driver and I have to unhook the ground cable on the battery to reset it. So far I’ve checked the ground wires on the drivers side under the drives front body mount, the ground cable from the battery to the engine block is tight, battery to the frame by tow hook is tight, firewall to back of engine is fine. The unknown driver has happened a couple random times too after washing the truck or right when I go to start the truck. The battery is good it’s only 6-7 months old. Where else should I check or what should I do? I can’t replicate the unknown driver every time I open the cutouts. It’s grounded to the body and the power is taken from under the hood from switched power.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I don't know anything about exhaust cutouts. How much power (amps) does the thing draw and exactly where "under the hood" is the power drawn from.

I am wondering if depending on where the power is taken from and the overall condition of the battery, alternator, and electrical system, is it possible the cutouts are creating a momentary voltage drop to the BCM. Any additional aftermarket items (non factory equipt) that may be contributing to the load on the factory electrics?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Keltonc87

Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
California
I don't know anything about exhaust cutouts. How much power (amps) does the thing draw and exactly where "under the hood" is the power drawn from.

I am wondering if depending on where the power is taken from and the overall condition of the battery, alternator, and electrical system, is it possible the cutouts are creating a momentary voltage drop to the BCM. Any additional aftermarket items (non factory equipt) that may be contributing to the load on the factory electrics?

I’ll have to double check and see exactly what it’s tapped into. The battery is fairly new, all charging components are in good order. The first time I got the “unknown driver” was after washing under the hood. I’ve checked all I can see for electrical under the hood for pinched wires or loose connections so I’m trying all I can

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online