Underneath vehicle camera mount for troubleshooting noises

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I've been trying to find a decent (cheap) go pro-like camera to be able to mount underneath the vehicle. I'd like to be able to quickly mount and move around for tracking noises coming from underneath the vehicle.

The camera itself shouldn't be too hard to find, it just needs to be water resistant and 1080p. The mount is where the problem lies. I've thought about zip ties and magnets, but I'd rather have something a little sturdier.

Looking for ideas for a mount and or camera that could easily be moved almost anywhere under the vehicle. Maybe even in/near the wheel well for possible bearing noises. My current idea is a tight fitting u bracket that sits on top of the frame rail, but that seems pretty limiting. I just don't want to drill and tap 100 holes.

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
This isn’t a camera, but would probably work fine. I posted the following on another forum several years ago:

If you've never heard of these, join the club, I hadn't either. My 2005 Chev Silverado developed a humming noise a few months ago and my first thoughts were a wheel bearing. I tried listening to it while driving but couldn't figure out which wheel the noise was coming from. So I pulled out my 5000 plus page factory manual and started thumbing through it. In the wheel bearing diagnosis section, the manual suggested installing the J 39570 chassis ear; which sent me on an excursion to figure out what that was.

Anyway, after doing a Google search on the J 39570 chassis ear, the more that I found out about them the more I was intrigued. I talked to several friends and they hadn't heard of them either.

So using some information/guidance that I found on the Garage Journal, I ordered a set. I bought the Steelman Products 06600 Chassis ears; which can be had for under $100. There are some ear muffs, a control box and six microphone/clamps with 16 foot wires on them.
attachment.php

I was able to try them out a couple of days ago and they worked after a fashion. When I first installed the microphone/clamps, at all four wheels, I didn't pick a very good spot and got erratic data/sound. So I moved all of the microphone/clamps to a backing plate bolt and drove around and it worked like a champ. I can see where these would come in very handy in the future.

The massive "Operating Information" manual, all two pages of it (not counting the front page and the warranty page) call it an Electronic Squeak and Rattle Finder. Aside from all of the squeaks and rattles/noises that this can help find, the manual has a paragraph on troubleshooting fuel injectors; which the info below is copied from their manual.

Fuel Injectors:
If is quick and easy to hook up the ChassisEAR Clamps on fuel injectors: the "tapping" solenoids are easily heard. If a clear metal-to-metal "ringing" sound is heard; then the injector is clean. If the "needle" inside the solenoid is making a dull "thud", then a deposit buildup more than likely exist inside the injector. A cleaning of the injectors is suggested. It is important to listen to the injectors before and after cleaning in case one is still dirty after cleaning

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Thanks you guys. I've never even heard of a system like that. I have stethoscope, but that's no good for drive testing lol.
I'm definitely going to get one of those.

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
If you buy one of these and use it, report back and let us know how you like it. Over the years, I’ve had lots of wheel bearing go out, but on my Silverado, I could figure which wheel had the bad bearing, until using the Chassis Ears, a great tool to have in your tool box that you might not use that much, but when you do, you’ll like it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online

No members online now.