Under-Hood Vermin Infestation Issues

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
An off shoot of the many problems that the COVID-19 Corona Virus Pandemic brought along is the fact that many of our vehicles… NOT just the GMT-360s and GMT-400-800 Vehicles have had to be parked for longer than ordinary time frames. For some of us, depending upon the region of the countries that we live in across North America, we have to be concerned about the insidious damage being done by… Rodents.

We’ve already have several Members attempting to solve ‘Weird PXXX OBD2 Trouble Code Clusters’ that devolved into discovering their Under-Hood Electrical Wiring Harnesses and Connectors were being relentlessly chewed completely through, causing inexplicable Electrical Shorts and even “NO Start – NO Crank” events.

Armed with the understanding of what the symptoms of Rodent Infestations look like via the attached images, then you’ll have the chance to raise the hoods of all your vehicles… and seek to find any or all of these Tell-Tale signs:

(1) No Start No Crank events on vehicles parked for extended periods of time.

(2) Signs of Chewing Damage from the incessant need of Rodents to Gnaw & Wear Down their Teeth on anything they can literally..Sink Their Teeth Into...".

(3) Obvious signs ...and NOT SO OBVIOUS Signs of Rat or Mouse Droppings. ***

(4) Collections of Grass, Weeds & Animal Fur packed into the various Engine Well Nooks & Crannies. ***

(5) Destruction of the Under-Hood Fiber-Glass and Rubber Hose Insulation performed for Nest Making.

*** THIS Intimate Search and Handling of ANY of this Material may expose you to Inhaling and becoming infected with The Deadly Hanta Virus that makes COVID-19 look like a bout of the Sniffles. This Risk is mostly due to the presence of Common Deer Mouse; a ubiquitous Critter that is the Natural Carrier of this Very Dangerous Virus. Use Extreme Care when investigating and handling any Rodent Species Nests as this brings along the Risk of your Inhaling desiccated, friable, Dried Mouse Feces and Urine Particles.

So... What Should I do...?

(1) Inspect your Dormant vehicles at least Weekly...and Start then Up to Keep Oil in the Upper Block and Check the Battery Strength.

(2) If you find any signs of any Rodent Infestations, place Traps and Baits nearby and underneath the Vehicle. Use care when discarding Dead Rodents... Use Zip Lock Bags.

(3) Treat the areas you suspect might become inviting to this Nest Building by soaking Irritating Peppermint Oil into Durable Rags and stuffing them down into those crevasses and corners where you might find Nesting Material.

(4) Remove ALL traces of Careless Food leftovers (Yup... Having Chocolate Chip Cookies and McDonald's French Fries tucked under the Seats and on the Floorboards is like Ringing the Mouse Dinner Bell).

BE SAFE… MASK UP… GLOVE UP… AND PLACE THESE MATERIALS IN ZIP LOCK BAGS FOR TRASH REMOVAL.

Note: The attached SUV Images were provided in a related Thread by another GMTN Member... @christo829

IMG_20200208_135901440.jpgIMG_20200208_140623372_HDR.jpgIMG_20200208_140636317_HDR.jpgIMG_20200208_140734498_HDR.jpgDEERMOUSE.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: christo829

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just had, for the first time, a rodent infestation. While the Saab was parked for the winter, a family took up residence in the glove compartment as evidenced by chewed up fast food napkins. Ugh. I haven't started it yet however I don't suspect at this point they did any damage since they had sufficient nesting material.

They could have been lured in there by the scent of food. I think the first attraction is food, then nesting supplies and then shelter. I think if you eliminate food, you can prevent the majority of unwanted guests.

This guy is the authority on mice, rodents, traps and repellents. Watched quite a few of his videos but actually missed this one. He confirms that peppermint oil is very effective however has to be replenished every month or so.

And this guy shows how to clean out the engine bay and also talks about peppermint oil.

What I would do, if possible, is using that spray bottle with the peppermint oil mix, respray every month or so. If storing a vehicle for a long time, I would use the pure peppermint oil on cotton balls as well as spraying down the whole interior.

This would also be useful for RV's.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
A squirrel chewed the cooling fan harness on my previous '03 Envoy. Tried sprinkling cayenne pepper dry rub on the wires (after it was repaired), no dice.
Bought a bottle of Mad Dog 357 No. 9 Plutonium and put a few drops of it on their favorite part of the wires. Not only did I not have any damage after that, I never saw the squirrels again...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Pepper spray, that's the ticket!

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
As an Excellent Follow Up ...THIS Dude provides us with a "Classy Class" on methodical Automotive Diagnostics Procedures that would have been PERFECT ...if only the VOP (Video Original Poster) had had the chance to READ and HEED this Thread... and used some Black Nitrile 11mil Gloves and an N-95 Face Mask to prevent and avoid a possible HANTA VIRUS Infection.

Take Note... if EVER you were curious about how to Read and Interpret Auto Wiring Diagrams...THIS Video has a superb explanation with slow and careful interpretation of Basic Diagnostic Procedures using Basic Diagnostic Gear (and some worthwhile Specialty Tool Goodies as well):

In today's video we have a 2007 Chevrolet Colorado with a 3.7 liter engine. The vehicle is a No Crank / No Start and No Communication. The previous mechanic tried replacing the Fuel Pump, Starter Motor and Ignition Switch, but still could not fix the problem. Follow along as I take you Step by Step through my Diagnostic Procedures and Fix This Truck. Thank you for watching!”

RODENTCHEWEDHARNESS0.jpgRODENTCHEWEDHARNESS1.jpgRODENTCHEWEDHARNESS2.jpg

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
As of Friday, August 18th, 2023...

It is well worth re-visiting this topic (in particular for the Southern California, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona areas) due to the arrival of a Powerful, Category 4 Pacific Ocean Born Hurricane that will be working its way northbound along the Yucatan Peninsula and along the Southern California Coast that will likely Drop a TON of Rain in those Southern Desert areas of the United States:

This might seem unimportant as being worthy of your attention... until you realize that the emergence of the Hanta Virus Plague (AKA - "Sin Nombre") that hit those Desert States back in the Mid-1990s... occurred after an inordinate amount of Rain Fall dropped over the Desert regions of the Southern and Central South areas of the United States that normally only gets around Two Inches of Rain Annually in August each year. This resulted in an enormous amount of Flowering and Small Seed Grasses shooting up and providing conditions that enhanced the Food Supply feeding and an immediate and tragic increase in the Rodent Population... including the Natural Carriers of the Hanta Virus ...BY TEN TIMES (1993) :

The North American Deer Mouse

18re7zw4-front-shortedge-384-2400508675.jpeg

There was such a HUGE Population Increase around that time that the Mice were seeking Shelter and Breeding areas inside the Dried and Desiccated Adobe Buildings and Barns where they could breed and feed and raise their young. The presence of their Urine and Feces being dropped into the Wood Rafters and the like which exposed people entering such structures to encounter the air-borne friable, desiccated Urine and Feces that the Victims would inhale into their Lungs or get inside their Mouths and Eyes and easily become infected with Hanta Virus... with damned near a 40% Fatality Rate for those Folks and without ANY means to provide medical treatment. They began showing up at hospitals right afterwards presenting with symptoms of Respiratory Collapse and Acute Kidney Failure (AKF), along with awful Hemorrhagic Fever Renal Syndrome (HFRS). The Death rate from Hanta Virus Infections is just ASTONISHING.

For our members and Visitors to GMT Nation....Please Heed the Warnings from the CDC.. and use Eye Protection, 11 Mil Nitrile Gloves and N-95 Face Masks if you are Working, Camping, Hiking or Cleaning out such areas and find yourself in the midst of so much Dangerous, Virus Laden DUST or many Contaminated Surfaces:

The CDC Describes the Hanta Virus Outbreak of 1993 in "The Four Corners" of the South West is 1993:

HOWHANTAINFECTSPEOPLE.jpg

Stay Sharp... and Stay SAFE... Folks!

286b802674f47e75162f8e11ad6c2b39e0e8960d-960x720-3015099642.jpeg_197b2fa8-6e3e-11ea-ab2c-59405e977d32-1164887473.jpeg1585048480_Hantavirus_big_600-524531350.jpeg58d409f785fb3.jpegar-02-fig1-eng-171060635.gif17201-3373305765.jpegsinnombre-1586197237.jpegstate_of_exposure-4163462115.jpeg

Last edited:

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I found mothballs in a perforated bag were effective. I put a bag with a few mothballs on both sides of the engine bay. Rodents never returned after that.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There's a YT channel that talks about what works and what doesn't for traps and repellents. He is an expert on the subject and he pretty much debunked the myth about mothballs and a lot of other repellents.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
We've got a New Member named @MotoTippy who has just joined up at GMT Nation from down in South West Arizona way... I'd like to hear from him about what happened (Rain-Wise) from the effects of the Pacific Ocean side Hurricane Hillary and whether or not the folks in that area see any increase in the Rodent Population over the next few weeks. He might know first hand if this is the case ...or not.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online