Unable to get good oil level reading on dipstick

Trayser

Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
2007 Envoy 4.2L-6. I always use full synthetic Mobil 1 oil as did the previous owner. My problem is when I check the oil level on the dipstick. After wiping the dipstick clean, I reinsert it then pull back out. The oil level is good on one side, but if I spin it around to the other side, it is perfectly dry. How could that be possible? I get the same results repeatedly. This dipstick is not the flat type but the bullet shaped type and flat on 4 sides. Any reasons why this is happening? Thanks for any replies.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My take on that is your oil level is low if one side of the DS is dry. What you're seeing on the "wet" side is oil scraped from the tube. The DS should be wet all around if the vehicle is on level ground.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
:iagree: with @Mooseman as well. I'd like to add: I have the same dipstick and the same issue. The way I view it: the lowest indicated level on the dipstick IS the level of your oil.

This is the worst dipstick design of any engine I've ever owned with the possible exception of air-cooled 2 cycles with no dipstick at all. And even that is a "maybe".

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You should have seen the plastic bullet type in the first years. Terrible. The metal one is much better.

Reactions: Mike534x

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Ugh....I remember the plastic ones, such a pain trying to read it and figuring out if it was just naturally brown or if oil was on it.

I'm so glad GM decided to be smart and leave the old school metal grated one in the other engine families.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Another tip is to keep the dipstick out for a while to allow any residual oil to drain back so as to not throw your reading off. It mostly presents as a problem when you are trying to get the level set and constantly taking it out and putting it back in as it will draw oil up.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And keep the stick pointed down while reading. If you tip it up to read it, the oil will run down (or up) the stick and give a false reading.

Reactions: Trayser

Trayser

Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
Thanks to all for your replies. Learned some good tips. :thankyou:

P.S ..is it possible to replace this bullet type DS with a standard flat dipstick and get the same accuracy?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't know of any 4.2L that had one. There may be a universal one from Dorman that could work.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Is there any way to get the turd colored bullet to not be so.... turd colored? That might help... for me at least.
I tried to clean mine with brake cleaner, and it helped just a little - but it is still brown.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you're talking about the plastic one, just replace it with a metal one from a later year. Straight swap.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online