umm..Uh Oh. I Think I Over did it!!

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I got some VHT niteshade spray to do my amber turn signal's on my side mirrors. I cleaned the light case really good and let it air dry for an hour. Then I followed the directions and sprayed a light coat of VHT, it really didn't black out, and I could still really see the yellow...so I sprayed again, and again, and again....I still see yellow from the light case. The bottle say's if you over spray it no light will shine through from the bulb...I think i'm going to have to test it out later tonight. It looks BLACK without any hard light but with it being super sunny out, it still looks yellow.

Push comes to shove, I will have to order the already smoked out lenses. Now i'm frustrated. Grrr.

tbuckalew14

Nov 20, 2011
Voymom said:
I got some VHT niteshade spray to do my amber turn signal's on my side mirrors. I cleaned the light case really good and let it air dry for an hour. Then I followed the directions and sprayed a light coat of VHT, it really didn't black out, and I could still really see the yellow...so I sprayed again, and again, and again....I still see yellow from the light case. The bottle say's if you over spray it no light will shine through from the bulb...I think i'm going to have to test it out later tonight. It looks BLACK without any hard light but with it being super sunny out, it still looks yellow.

Push comes to shove, I will have to order the already smoked out lenses. Now i'm frustrated. Grrr.

Worst case you can try some acetone or paint thinner to remove it.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
You can let it dry and then use very fine sand paper to bring it back down. Most of the time you want less on there until it dries to truly see what it looks like.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
tbuckalew14 said:
Worst case you can try some acetone or paint thinner to remove it.

Thats what hubby said. He has stuff that is 10x stronger than paint thinner at work. They call it pipe cleaner?? We will just wait and see. It's sitting in the bathroom drying as I type this.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
djthumper said:
You can let it dry and then use very fine sand paper to bring it back down. Most of the time you want less on there until it dries to truly see what it looks like.

Now someone tells me! LOL. I just kept spraying and spraying and yelling and cursing and spraying. And now I have to figure out HOW to get the crap off my hands lol

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
Can you please please please post pics? I'd like to try it on mine as well. Maybe one of it the way it is now, and if you re-do it one then. Thank you! :smile:

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
Voymom said:
Thats what hubby said. He has stuff that is 10x stronger than paint thinner at work. They call it pipe cleaner?? We will just wait and see. It's sitting in the bathroom drying as I type this.

if it's pipe cleaner for pvc pipe, be very careful. that stuff will mess up the lens.
it chemically melts the pvc pipe so the the pvc glue will adhere better.
one time, my dad was replacing a sump pump in a closet, the fumes from the cleaner and glue knocked him out !

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
Just be careful what you clean the plastic with. An overly dark piece is better than a solvent-melted piece..!!

If it's too dark, you might have success doing some very light sanding with super fine grit (2000).

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
fishguy1123 said:
Can you please please please post pics? I'd like to try it on mine as well. Maybe one of it the way it is now, and if you re-do it one then. Thank you! :smile:

These are pictures of them now (still drying)

IMG_20120216_135432.jpg

IMG_20120216_135404.jpg

IF you take this route you NEED a gas mask lol or at the very least quit breathing, because you'll want to lol.
I sprayed mine outside but brought it in to dry as it's still only 50 degrees out, I have a slight buzz going on, and pretty giggly :biggrin:

It is barasol or TYPE cleaner....not pipe cleaner sorry, he has a new england accent and after all these years I still can't understand some of his words lol

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
Voymom said:
These are pictures of them now (still drying)

IMG_20120216_135432.jpg

IMG_20120216_135404.jpg

IF you take this route you NEED a gas mask lol or at the very least quit breathing, because you'll want to lol.
I sprayed mine outside but brought it in to dry as it's still only 50 degrees out, I have a slight buzz going on, and pretty giggly :biggrin:

It is barasol or TYPE cleaner....not pipe cleaner sorry, he has a new england accent and after all these years I still can't understand some of his words lol

Thanks, how many coats do you think you used? If ur not to buzzed to count that is.... lol

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
fishguy1123 said:
Thanks, how many coats do you think you used? If ur not to buzzed to count that is.... lol

Honestly, I didn't count coats.....I just kept spraying until it was BLACK lol I didn't know that it would darken when it dried. It sprayed out and looked blotchy on the plastic at first, but once it started drying it stretched out and covered the plastic in a more uniform and slick way. I'm wondering if this is going to be to dark though. I haven't done the other side yet for 2 reasons....1- I can't get the cover off....and 2- I don't want to screw up twice :biggrin:

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
The first reason is why you didn't do it....:rotfl: Second just makes it sound better.... :raspberry: Maybe some of those bright led's are in line if it is to dark! Seriously though, I want to do it and the grey lenses are big bucks!!!

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Voymom said:
Honestly, I didn't count coats.....I just kept spraying until it was BLACK lol I didn't know that it would darken when it dried. It sprayed out and looked blotchy on the plastic at first, but once it started drying it stretched out and covered the plastic in a more uniform and slick way. I'm wondering if this is going to be to dark though. I haven't done the other side yet for 2 reasons....1- I can't get the cover off....and 2- I don't want to screw up twice :biggrin:

The reason to do them at the same time is so they'll match. I think they'll be fine. If you need more light just add LEDs!!!

[EBAY]260646639954[/EBAY]

Also I've had problems with nite-shades fading if you don't clear coat it.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Okay, I took finger nail polish remover and a regular wet dish sponge(green side) and took off the rough spots and re-sprayed and its a lot better, still dark but looks smoother. Got the other case off and did one coat, will need a second coat, but im letting it dry this time lol. Im picking kids up from school now, stoned as all hell shhh lpl I will report with pics of the finished product later. I have surgery tomorrow morning. Next im niteshading tails until I can get my altezza tails. Anyways, I will report back in a few.

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
From what I heard gasoline works well on removing the Nightshade. Just my :twocents:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Good luck with your surgery, I hope it's nothing to serious.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Short Bus said:
Good luck with your surgery, I hope it's nothing to serious.

Thanks! I'm so not looking forward to it, but that's life. It's nothing to bad I have a umbilical hernia. I'm not even being put under, just a spinal and sedation. I will be out and on light duty for 6-8 weeks :frown:

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
Voymom said:
Thanks! I'm so not looking forward to it, but that's life. It's nothing to bad I have a umbilical hernia. I'm not even being put under, just a spinal and sedation. I will be out and on light duty for 6-8 weeks :frown:

Hope it goes well! I have a double hernia surgery on march 12th --- general anesthesia tho :frown: but that gives me a damn good excuse to sit on my ass do a few LED mods :yes: !

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Hope it goes well! I have a double hernia surgery on march 12th --- general anesthesia tho :frown: but that gives me a damn good excuse to sit on my ass do a few LED mods :yes: !

ConeKilrAutoX said:
goof off works well also

:crackup: :raspberry:

Short Bus said:
Like I said in your thread, make sure you do a couple coats of clear. Also, if you want them to be glass smooth do about 10 coats of clear wet sand with 2000 grit, buff with polishing compound then wax.

I posted this in the What did you do to your GMT thread, but I'll move it here also from people that search for VHT later.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
ConeKilrAutoX said:

Eww...double! WTF did you do? lol I was supposed to get it fixed a year ago but I completely chickened out because they wanted to initially do general anesthesia. I have a severe anxiety disorder and flipped lol. I talked the surgeon in letting me just get a spinal and some good drugs this time around :biggrin: I'm nervous as all hell as any surgery is scary and not fun, so lots of prayers will be welcomed!

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
Voymom said:
so lots of prayers will be welcomed!

Ill DEFINITELY say some prayers for you. Im sure it will go fine! :thumbsup: .... I got one from football back in high school (tore a muscle off my hip) and it caused a hernia when I was lifting 3 weeks ago. and one from working on a transmission...It slipped I strained to hold it and I just moved the wrong way I guess. Oh well what can you do... Just an inconvenience.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Voymom said:
I'm nervous as all hell as any surgery is scary and not fun, so lots of prayers will be welcomed!

I can't pray for you (I'm atheist), but best wishes sent.

YOUNG

Dec 4, 2011
i think they look just about right!

gasoline works very well, i have removed my nightshades from my tails twice, once with gas, and the other time with paint remover, and both worked well.

and i retinted them both times shortly after i removed the tint.
:thumbsup:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Completely understand, and thank you!!
Short Bus said:
I can't pray for you (I'm atheist), but best wishes sent.

ConeKilrAutoX said:
Ill DEFINITELY say some prayers for you. Im sure it will go fine! :thumbsup: .... I got one from football back in high school (tore a muscle off my hip) and it caused a hernia when I was lifting 3 weeks ago. and one from working on a transmission...It slipped I strained to hold it and I just moved the wrong way I guess. Oh well what can you do... Just an inconvenience.

I got mine from having to many kids to quickly lol

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
ConeKilrAutoX said:

Well I had my first child in 02 she was 7lbs 7oz
my second born was in 04 at 9lbs 13oz
my third child was born in 06 at 8lbs 6oz
my fourth child was in 08 at 8lbs 9oz and my last child
was in 2010 and was 7lbs 13oz

my other 2 children are my step sons :biggrin:

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
Voymom said:
Well I had my first child in 02 she was 7lbs 7oz
my second born was in 04 at 9lbs 13oz
my third child was born in 06 at 8lbs 6oz
my fourth child was in 08 at 8lbs 9oz and my last child
was in 2010 and was 7lbs 13oz

my other 2 children are my step sons :biggrin:

Thats quite impressive! :smile:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Thats quite impressive! :smile:

Thank you! :biggrin: I'm very proud of my mini demons:wink:

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
I wouldnt go with the Altelleza's, Just the tails, they look cheap from what I have heard. Unless your going to paint them to match the car:biggrin: Just my :twocents:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
03envoy said:
I wouldnt go with the Altelleza's, Just the tails, they look cheap from what I have heard. Unless your going to paint them to match the car:biggrin: Just my :twocents:

The Altezza's are already black like my truck :tongue: I wouldn't need to paint or spray them.

[EBAY]300660406231[/EBAY]

These are what I'm putting on my truck

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Voymom said:
The Altezza's are already black like my truck :tongue: I wouldn't need to paint or spray them.

[EBAY]300660406231[/EBAY]

These are what I'm putting on my truck

That black will be a different shade of black vs your truck...just sayin :wink:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
That black will be a different shade of black vs your truck...just sayin :wink:

Yup. It's more of a flat black from what I heard. I just can't find anything I really like for tails besides these. I didn't do all that great of a job with the VHT on the signals lol and will end up either stripping them and re-doing it, filming it, or just buying the damned smoked out ones lol. I try to search tail lights, but I don't get much on here or the OS. I have looked through the galleries on the OS and on here as well, but my artistic abilities with VHT just sucks :redface: I'm half tempted to just use spray paint lmao

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
i like those tails noob question will those fit tb's?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Voymom said:

Light Duty she says.... WITH 6 KIDS!!! I dont see that happening!

Alot of the Envoy guys love to get the Isuzu Ascender tails. And I agree, they do look better, especially with LED's

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Black_tb said:
i like those tails noob question will those fit tb's?

No they won't. The TB's and Envoy's have different shaped tails.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Well here are a few pictures of the finished product!! Well minus the clear coat. I may end up just going with the pre-smoked lenses once these fade or I will just sand them down and re-spray.

IMG_20120217_073131.jpg

IMG_20120217_073123.jpg

IMG_20120217_073115.jpg

IMG_20120217_073106.jpg

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
Matt said:
No they won't. The TB's and Envoy's have different shaped tails.

thanks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online