U-Joints

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I am putting a 14 bolt from an SS under my truck and need to figure out what U Joint the rear end has vs what my driveshaft has. I believe they are different and I will need an adaptive joint. I would love any info from someone who has done this or that knows a good place to get adaptive u-joints.

Also wondered about getting an SS driveshaft and getting it cut to fit my truck, but figure since my shaft is ok, it is likely simpler to buy a coupe adaptive joints and just keep a spare.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
this has been done before, I think u will need a u joint #447 from napa and 2 retainers. Its a smaller yoke on the 9.5" rear

I think the gearing on the tbss is 4.10, if ur 4x4, wouldnt the front need to be matched?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Yep. I got the front too.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
The swap I believe is pretty much a plug and play type deal. Drive shaft length is the same, control arms, sway bar, etc. Theres something about the brakes or ABS sensor u got to look out for. Cant remember.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Control arms will be my same custom ones. Sway bar is is gone on mine. The sensor is an issue for stabilitrak and mine is an 06 and parts are 08 so they match. The brakes are the same part numbers for either model so they are swappable.

Drive shaft length being the same would surprise me and the size of the 6.0 v8 vs the 4.2 I6 would seem to move the position of the transfer case and therefore length of the shaft. If it is the same, I will just get an SS shaft and not worry about a bastardized u-joint. I would think the SS would be longer, but I could be wrong.

walterc4553

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Drive shaft length being the same would surprise me and the size of the 6.0 v8 vs the 4.2 I6 would seem to move the position of the transfer case and therefore length of the shaft. If it is the same, I will just get an SS shaft and not worry about a bastardized u-joint. I would think the SS would be longer, but I could be wrong.

C157(06) PROP SHAFT (ONE PIECE); C157(06) PROP SHAFT (ONE PIECE) (4L60-E AUTOMATIC M30); K157(06) PROP SHAFT (ONE PIECE); S157(03) PROP SHAFT (ONE PIECE)/REAR - W/DAMPENER; ST1(06) PROP SHAFT (ONE PIECE)/REAR - W/DAMPENER; ST1(06-36) PROP SHAFT (ONE

Based on this it looks like the shaft prop is the same... in fact it appears it is used in a lot of other applications also, almost all the 360 are listed.

The things that change are the Yoke prop and the U-joint adapters.

The u-joint for the 6.0L and 9.5 is actually listed.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Did not find a SS driveshaft, so I am hoping the #447 u joint is the right one and I can find one tonight so I can get the rear under the truck this weekend. I got help to swap carriers and install the locker tonight and hope to install tomorrow.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Intersting swap, this is something I want to do if one comes along. Was curious if the stock I6 exhaust fits over the SS axle, post some pics after the swap if you could.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online