U-Joints & Drive Line Diagnostics: EVERYTHING "U" Ever Wanted to Know About Them...

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This Seven Part Video Series from the Weber State University Department of Automotive Technology covers Everything you EVER wanted to know about Universal Joints and On The Vehicle - Hands On Drive-Line Vibration Problem Diagnostics, Measurements and Repairs… But were Afraid to Ask.

"Hell... It's just a "U" Joint Swap... Who needs Directions to Install them? What can possibly Go Wrong...?"

You'll be Surprised... As THESE Videos will reveal a Great Deal.

The series includes a comparison of Eight OEM vs. After-Market Companies including ACDelco, Moog and Autozone Duralast, etc... all involved with manufacturing these "U"nique, Highly Stressed Drive-Line Mechanical Components:

Part 1

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Part 6:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyAJdInryj8&list=PL5zHWEeKMRpqNlfEbul_HQnFHSOwP7VjQ&index=6

Part 7:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10BhHuwnQ7I

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I do need to replace the U-Joints on the Voy. Like 90% of the truck, they are still OEM at 194k miles.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It takes the length of the first video to swap a u-joint, but some do like to have a bunch of random info.

For anyone that has not done one on our platform, you do need a torch to melt out the factory one. Not a big deal.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Good info as I'm getting ready to replace them on my TB. However, I can't find the adapter for GM, at least not on Amazon. I might just bring it to a driveline shop but then my experiences with shops have not been good lately. I have done a lots of u-joints and may just chance it doing it myself.

Those videos are loooooooong. I had to speed them up to 2x. Only watched ep. 2, 4 and 5. Most of it probably can't be useful to DIYers since most don't have dial indicators.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
What adapter?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The J9522-3 Spent-Moore. Instead of pushing on the cups, you push on the joint's trunion. I'm always afraid of distorting the yokes by pushing on the cups since they're sometimes in there real tight and rusty. I have done that once a long time ago and had to replace the drive shaft.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Even with having a "Clean" Bench and a Few Bench Vises on hand for this work... Trying to wrangle with Drive Shafts and perform R&R s of "U" Joints can be like trying to pick up a Hysterical 2 Year Old in the Supermarket having a Full-On Crying Temper Tantrum.

Before having to struggle with using a Bench Vise, “C” Clamps or even a Hammer and some “sized” Impact Sockets to drive the “U” Joint Cups out on multiple Drive Shafts … for $77.40 + FREE S&H over on eBay… THIS tool (or one similar to it, if the size of this one is either too large or too small) looks like it would Make Life EZR and be a better option than the Pricey" Spent-Moore" versions:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338077216&icep_item=372843294231

UJOINTSEPTOOL1.jpgUJOINTSEPTOOL2.jpgUJOINTSEPTOOL3.jpgUJOINTSEPTOOL4.jpgUJOINTSEPTOOL5.jpgUJOINTSEPTOOL6.jpgUJOINTSEPTOOL7.jpg

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Saw that tool on Amazon and watched a video on its use however it has the same problem as using the C-clamp type tool where it could distort the yoke if a bearing cup is seized and may be even worse since it uses the yoke's structure as the C. And I think it's pretty spendy for what it is.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online