NEED HELP Turns over, won't always start

Jonzy

Original poster
May 16, 2016
Canada
My 2003 Envoy I6 will run all day, but after I've driven it for a while and shut it off, sometimes won't start without difficulty. I find I have to pump the gas but that doesn't work every single time. Sometimes it will turn over and not start and I have to leave it alone for a while before going out and starting it again. Like I said, once it's running it will run all day. If I shut it off and start it immediately it will always start. But if I leave it for 10 mins or so it may not fire.

Tried switching ignition relay and no change. Tried disconnecting command start, no change. No engine light now, but occasionally get a 440 code which has something to do with fuel cap I think?

Any suggestions?

Jon

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome to the Nation! Wish it was under better circumstances.

When you try to start it, do you always hear the fuel pump prime? Does it always crank?

I guess you mean a P0440 code? Yes, the gas cap is usually the culprit but wouldn't prevent it from starting.

Jonzy

Original poster
May 16, 2016
Canada
I hear the fuel pump prime every time, and it always cranks. I can always get it to start with difficulty. Sometimes if it doesn't fire I'll wait a couple minutes and try again and it'll eventually start. Like I said once it's running no issues whatsoever. Never stalls.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
X3. Sounds like a fuel supply issue.

Jonzy

Original poster
May 16, 2016
Canada
Since I've been looking into it everything has been pointing to my fuel pressure regulator so far. I found one in a junk yard for 20 bucks so it's not a pocket breaker.

Thank you for your replies. I'll be back in here if it's not the issue.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You can still come back if it is :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online