Turned off ignition,removed key,truck still running.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Member
Mar 31, 2012
375
So the other day I went to shut my truck off,did the typical motion turned the key back removed the key and truck was still running. I saw a couple people on another site that had the same issue and it was the ign switch and said on these trucks it was fairly easy and cheap to fix. Just wanting to get some other opinions on what this could have been,I had to hit the remote start button on my alarm to shut the truck off,put key back in,started up and shut down as usual after this.
 

Voymom

Member
Feb 3, 2012
2,523
eutechnyx said:
So the other day I went to shut my truck off,did the typical motion turned the key back removed the key and truck was still running. I saw a couple people on another site that had the same issue and it was the ign switch and said on these trucks it was fairly easy and cheap to fix. Just wanting to get some other opinions on what this could have been,I had to hit the remote start button on my alarm to shut the truck off,put key back in,started up and shut down as usual after this.

I second the ignition switch...
 

BRomanJr

Member
Dec 9, 2011
371
eutechnyx said:
So the other day I went to shut my truck off,did the typical motion turned the key back removed the key and truck was still running. I saw a couple people on another site that had the same issue and it was the ign switch and said on these trucks it was fairly easy and cheap to fix. Just wanting to get some other opinions on what this could have been,I had to hit the remote start button on my alarm to shut the truck off,put key back in,started up and shut down as usual after this.

IMO, There is no way a bad ignition switch caused this.

If the Remote Start shut it off, then you had enabled Remote Start before you turned the key off. As you probably know, This is a feature to allow the truck to run without the keys.

I would wait and when it happens again, hit the brake pedal and see if it shuts off, if so it is the Remote Start is energizing somehow, if not then go for ignition switch.
 

jimmyjam

Member
Nov 18, 2011
1,634
its hard to know because your car has a lot of stuff done to it... obviously before you got it, it had wiring problems that I guess were from the fuse box relocation. and if you've got a remote start/alarm there could be a problem there too with the relays getting stuck maybe or the alarm brain acting funky. alarms and remote starts make trouble shooting this stuff a lot less trivial
 

willn513

Member
Dec 4, 2011
918
Search for 'pit stop' mode related to your remote start. Most aftermarket remote starts have a feature that lets you take the keys out but keep the truck running while you run into the store, etc. Could be an issue there.

EDIT: sorry I didn't read the above posts closely enough that basically say the same thing.
 

CaptainXL

Member
Dec 4, 2011
2,445
BRomanJr said:
IMO, There is no way a bad ignition switch caused this.

If the Remote Start shut it off, then you had enabled Remote Start before you turned the key off. As you probably know, This is a feature to allow the truck to run without the keys.

I would wait and when it happens again, hit the brake pedal and see if it shuts off, if so it is the Remote Start is energizing somehow, if not then go for ignition switch.

Interesting that if i remote start my truck and put the keys in and turn and then take the keys back out the truck still remains running as if the remote start never stopped. Is this supposed to be like this? Or should turning the key disable the remote start?
 

BRomanJr

Member
Dec 9, 2011
371
CaptainXL said:
Interesting that if i remote start my truck and put the keys in and turn and then take the keys back out the truck still remains running as if the remote start never stopped. Is this supposed to be like this? Or should turning the key disable the remote start?

Yes, The Remote Start will come out of that mode when you turn the key and then step on the Brake.

If you don't turn the key on, stepping on the Brake should cancel the Remote Start and shut it down.
 

CaptainXL

Member
Dec 4, 2011
2,445
BRomanJr said:
Yes, The Remote Start will come out of that mode when you turn the key and then step on the Brake.

If you don't turn the key on, stepping on the Brake should cancel the Remote Start and shut it down.

What kind of mode is this? Because I just had my IGN fuse pulled for a while checking for parasitic drain. It seems as if I only have drain when the temp gets low. Is this possibly my defrost working? I am using an XK01 bypass.
 

BRomanJr

Member
Dec 9, 2011
371
CaptainXL said:
What kind of mode is this? Because I just had my IGN fuse pulled for a while checking for parasitic drain. It seems as if I only have drain when the temp gets low. Is this possibly my defrost working? I am using an XK01 bypass.

That "mode" is the Remote Start function. it parallels your ignition switch using Relays. It is canceled by the brake pedal, when the key is in and turned the ignition switch takes over, if the key is not turned it shuts off. You can also "cancel" it by repeating the Remote Start sequence on the Remote Fob.

Beware of cheap Remote Start systems, I usually use CrimeStopper brand units (no problems with 6+ units over the years) but chose a cheap 2-way system on the Aurora and if I "Arm" it my battery will be dead in two weeks. I just leave it unlocked and unarmed at home.

Unless you have some special module, I would say your (rear?) Defrost is not the problem
 

CaptainXL

Member
Dec 4, 2011
2,445
I am aware of the different shutdown inputs for the RST. I've got a Viper 570XV. It's a security and remote start in one package. I spent the better part of last night checking the +12 feeds and also the grounds to see if any got crossed. Anyway...that's another discussion.

The question I was trying to ask is about the key. Normally when I remote start the vehicle, get in and put the key in and turn I take control. Then when I turn the truck off the engine quits normally. But now I am experiencing the same thing as the OP. I do the same as before except now when I turn the truck off after taking control the truck keeps running. This is all beside the point of using the brake or hood pin to shutdown the remote start. I guess I am just wondering what is considered normal behavior...the first or second case.
 

eutechnyx

Original poster
Member
Mar 31, 2012
375
Hmm maybe just maybe I accidently hit the remote start as I was cranking it to start it. Not sure about that but I'm going to keep and eye on things. Its definitely not a cheap unit its an autopageusa with every bell whistle lol. I haven't had any electrical issues thus far that weren't common minimal issues.
 

eutechnyx

Original poster
Member
Mar 31, 2012
375
jimmyjam said:
its hard to know because your car has a lot of stuff done to it... obviously before you got it, it had wiring problems that I guess were from the fuse box relocation. and if you've got a remote start/alarm there could be a problem there too with the relays getting stuck maybe or the alarm brain acting funky. alarms and remote starts make trouble shooting this stuff a lot less trivial
was there a thread where the previous owner had posted about the electrical issues? Just curious to see
 

blazinlow89

Member
Jan 25, 2012
2,088
I know at least on mine the pit stop feature requires a user input, pushing the valey button twice. The truck will then beep 5 short bursts to acknowledge the input. As for accidentally pushing remote start on the fob, this requires pushing channel 3on the remote, release, push and hold for 2 seconds within 5 seconds of the initial push. Then the fob will beep to acknowledge remote start activation. I will agree that you should try pushing the brake pedal if the issue ever rears its head again. A stuck relay, brain malfunction or bypass acting up are all within the realm of possibility.
 

eutechnyx

Original poster
Member
Mar 31, 2012
375
Yeah my remote start just takes one simple push nothing else and it starts but I am pretty sure that didn't happen.
 

jimmyjam

Member
Nov 18, 2011
1,634
eutechnyx said:
was there a thread where the previous owner had posted about the electrical issues? Just curious to see

pm carlton (blckshdw) he had met up with him to help troubleshoot. it was a problem with the gaugues, i thought you fixed it after you got it?
 

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,700
Tampa Bay Area, FL

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,700
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Something with the connections on the front fuse block due to the relocation. We swapped my cluster and BCM with his, but the problem stayed with the Voy instead of moving to my TB. Since we didn't think to mess with the fuse block at the time, that's why the problem stayed there.
 

Wooluf1952

Member
Nov 20, 2011
2,663
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,473
Posts
639,776
Members
18,702
Latest member
carbie55

Members Online