Tuning Advice: Mail Order or in-shop

G-Blazer88

Original poster
Jul 18, 2014
Hey fellas,
The overwhelming feeling that I have gotten from reading up on the threads around here is that getting a quality tune is the best investment on our platform. After I finish with my first few mods, I was planning on bringing my TB over to one of the local shops that offer dynotuning. However, many on here reccomend mail order tuning from PCM for less or PCM of NC.

Would you guys reccomend getting my TB tuned in the shop on a dyno jet, or do the companies listed above have it dialed in well enough that just sending away for a mail order tune will offer the same gains. I haven't looked into PCM4less much yet, but from some other mail order tune sites and the quotes I've seen from the local shops, the prices don't seem too drastically different.

Thanks guys!
Gabriel

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I am 100% happy with my mail order tune from PCMofNC. As much as they deal with the I6, they seem to have it dialed in along with the details you provide them in your order sheet.

Another aspect you will need to consider is price. PCMofNC's tune runs $159 unless you can get the tune on sale which is usually $20 off. You will also have to add in the cost of shipping. I was on vacation so I was able to send the PCM from my TB to them. I think I did 2-Day UPS there 1-Day UPS on the way back. I want to say that addded another $60 to the price. They offer other mail-in options for the tune.

How much is the dyno jet tune run? Have they said what kind of gains you will see from their tune?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
If you can get a street tune done for cheaper I'd go that route. the only thing you need a dyno for is WOT tuning, and realistically how important is it that you squeeze every drop out of WOT on a car that isn't a track car?

The most important thing is to do your homework and find out if they know what they are doing. I'd take a mail order tune over a street tune from someone I don't trust

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If you don't have a knowledgeable tuner: go mail in. As above...trust is big thing and I know guys that say they could do it, but if they botch it...not worth the risk to me.

PCMofNC...which is PCMforless...has pretty well nailed down our platform and has enough options to keep most any owner happy. I had them do mine twice and am thrilled with the results.

Mark@PCMofNC

Jul 14, 2014
I already posted a reply in your introduction topic, but thought I would add that a street tune from a local tuner will likely cost more than a mail-order tune, for minimal difference. Did you and I talk on the phone yesterday afternoon? Just had simialr concerns.

HARDTRAILZ said:
If you don't have a knowledgeable tuner: go mail in. As above...trust is big thing and I know guys that say they could do it, but if they botch it...not worth the risk to me.

PCMofNC...which is PCMforless...has pretty well nailed down our platform and has enough options to keep most any owner happy. I had them do mine twice and am thrilled with the results.
PCMforless is actually a separate company in Ohio.

G-Blazer88

Original poster
Jul 18, 2014
Thanks for the input, guys! Mark, I haven't called up your shop, but it looks like I'll be going with a mail order tune!

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
I have had a tune from PCMofNC since 2007 and haven't had any issues with it. The tune made pulling my boat much better.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Also a 100% satisfied PCMofNC customer. I was able to park the Envoy and ship them my PCM. Did it on a Monday had it back on Friday. Definitely livens up almost 5000 lbs of SUV.

As I understand it, they purchased a TB or Voy and developed the tunes on it.

As much as the manufacturers try to make consistent engines there are little differences. A custom tune with someone who knows the engine might get a fraction of a percent better performance. With my driving, its not worth it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.