1. We are working on the forum's attachment system. Attachments and avatars will be intermittently affected over the next 24 hours.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to troubleshoot wipers and cruise control not working

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Envoy10, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Envoy10

Envoy10 Well-Known Member

My wipers have been acting up these last few days and today they've completely stopped. I've been researching this and seems like it may be a build up of grease in the control board.

As they were going I noticed the lower settings wouldn't respond. I'd have to turn the knob up to the fastest setting to get a response, then switch to lower speed for the wipers to work. Now I get nothing from the wipers, the sprayer stopped working short time after. I figured I'd try opening up the housing and seeing if that's the problem, but now I'm seeing that my cruise control isn't working.

I'm wondering if this is a wiper motor issue or if it's the multifunction switch. The turn signals do work. The cruise control does not work, wiper knob does not work and sprayer does not work.

This is my daily driver and work vehicle and not many dry days here in Seattle so I'm trying to figure this one out quickly. Getting to the motor doesn't seem too bad, I can try tomorrow. I did find a video on how to replace both parts so that helps. I'm just trying to figure out which is the real problem. If it is the motor controler module maybe a good cleaning will save me buying a new one. Anyone have any input?

2. MRRSM

MRRSM Gold Supporter

Good Idea on trying something that might just work as a Quick-N-EZ Fix first...

Disconnect the Wiper Motor Connector and look over the Pins for the M&F interface for any Rust or Corrosion. Autozone sells small, Dielectric Grease Packets at every counter... usually meant for Tail Light Bulbs and such... but after spraying down both sides of the electrical mate ups with some CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner and De-greaser and then applying the Grease as mentioned. Give that a try first and let's hope it works before the Snow and Rain decides to test the idea. By the way... Autozone sells the Electrical Contact Cleaner-De-greaser as well.

3. Matt

Matt Silver Supporter

I'd try to open up the wipers first. Do you have the rain sense wipers? They're the ones that usually have the issue, but more hesitating than just not working.

Your cruise can only be affected by a few things. A code that's not bringing up a CEL, the fuse (but your brake lights wouldn't work either) or a flaky brake pedal switch.

MRRSM likes this.
  4. christo829

christo829 Well-Known Member

I'd look at the wiring from the multifunction switch through the shaft down to the steering column first. The only shared item you've got between wipers *and* cruise is the wiring itself. Turn signals are actuated by the shaft to the column switch mechanically, so they don't share any wiring from the multifunction switch. It's possible that the wiper switch is acting up as well, but cruise control isn't using any of those same contact pads.

Hm...but do they share a ground? I don't have a wiring diagram at hand to
    check, but grounds can be a common point of failure. That wouldn't explain the gradual wiper speed failure, but now that everything from the multifunction switch has failed, it could have been a chafed wire that gradually frayed and broke.

Good Luck!

Chris

MRRSM likes this.
  5. Mooseman

Mooseman Moderator

If you check my signature, you'll find a link to the manuals which include schematics.

All of the above is good advice but my bet would be the switch as all are related to that or a wiring/ground fault related to it.

Blckshdw, MRRSM, Matt and 1 other person like this.
  6. jsheahawk

jsheahawk Well-Known Member

Did you ever get a stuttering, chattering wiper? If so, you probably need to clean the wiper in the motor and regrease with dielectric grease.

7. Envoy10

So I am looking into this today. So far I've checked #33 fuse under the rear seat, I've checked for any fault codes for the cruise control and brake lights are all working. I can't seem to find a battery terminal puller near me anywhere, I'm going to have to order one and wait a couple days for it to come in it seems. I will try troubleshooting the switch in the meantime.

8. Matt

Matt Silver Supporter

If you are getting the battery terminal puller to remove the wiper arms, don't. All that happened when I used one was I bent the "handle". Just undo the nut until it comes to the top of the post, then smack it a few or more times with a hammer and it should pop loose. Also, squirt some magic piss on there before you start.

Mooseman and xavierny25 like this.
  9. MRRSM

MRRSM Gold Supporter

Roger that--^-- @Matt...

THIS OTC Tool is a variant of the very expensive K&M version that will work with just a touch of Moly-D HP Grease on the Ball Bearing nose of the pusher center- bolt to keep it from walking off of the Wiper Stud... AND the much Lower Price on this unique tool makes it very attractive, too:

(... take note that it has a Hex Wrench hold assist for those wiper arms that need more effort to "pop" the damned welded on arms free...)

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4676-Win...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000L7JQE8

...but if that one looks too light to make the wiper arms budge... THIS OTC sturdier version might be your first choice ...with a bigger price tag as well:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CGRQGE/ref=pd_luc_rh_mrairec_04_03_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Matt likes this.
  10. Envoy10

Update : So I went ahead and ordered a new turn signal switch and replaced it. Unfortunately it did not fix the problem. It's acting weird actually. Cruise control does work again.
    Here's where things get weird, the tab to control the sprayer does not work. The knob for wiper speed acts funny. When turned to the lowest setting, it sprays for 5 seconds then turns off, nothing from the wipers. If I go to a faster setting, it sprays for those 5 seconds, then turns off, but repeats this cycle, wipers- still nothing. Finally, when at the off position and turning the knob down to activate the sprayer and wipers for a couple seconds normally, all I'm getting is the sprayer. So I'm confused. It's getting dark out I'll continue tomorrow.

I would love to not have to order this terminal puller, I will use once. I'll try to get them off using your method Matt. It's looking like I will have to get to that motor/control board.

Matt likes this.
  11. MRRSM

MRRSM Gold Supporter

Keep an eye on your "Hammer Swing" and place something protective on the adjacent windshield as it will be very easy to get too enthusiastic ...and ricochet the strikes into the wind screen glass...

12. NJTB

NJTB Well-Known Member

Had a similar problem on a 97, and it wes the part that mounts to the wiper motor (can't remember the name, washer pump housing?). You didn't need to pull the wiper motor to replace it.

13. budwich

budwich Well-Known Member

So in your current state of "repair", you can NOT get the wipers to run in high speed at any position on the signal stock?
    You can try
    Disconnect the steering column harness connector. Connect a jumper wire
    from the windshield wiper switch high signal circuit terminal in the body harness
    connector to ground. (Turn ON the ignition)
    If it does do high speed, then you need to check the ground circuit on the terminal as that's how the "thing" works without the jumper action. NOTE: you need to find a KNOWN / good ground for testing.
    If it doesn't run on high, then you need to get at the motor. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 7:20 PM