Trying to troubleshoot wipers and cruise control not working

Envoy10

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
My wipers have been acting up these last few days and today they've completely stopped. I've been researching this and seems like it may be a build up of grease in the control board.

As they were going I noticed the lower settings wouldn't respond. I'd have to turn the knob up to the fastest setting to get a response, then switch to lower speed for the wipers to work. Now I get nothing from the wipers, the sprayer stopped working short time after. I figured I'd try opening up the housing and seeing if that's the problem, but now I'm seeing that my cruise control isn't working.

I'm wondering if this is a wiper motor issue or if it's the multifunction switch. The turn signals do work. The cruise control does not work, wiper knob does not work and sprayer does not work.

This is my daily driver and work vehicle and not many dry days here in Seattle so I'm trying to figure this one out quickly. Getting to the motor doesn't seem too bad, I can try tomorrow. I did find a video on how to replace both parts so that helps. I'm just trying to figure out which is the real problem. If it is the motor controler module maybe a good cleaning will save me buying a new one. Anyone have any input?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Good Idea on trying something that might just work as a Quick-N-EZ Fix first...

Disconnect the Wiper Motor Connector and look over the Pins for the M&F interface for any Rust or Corrosion. Autozone sells small, Dielectric Grease Packets at every counter... usually meant for Tail Light Bulbs and such... but after spraying down both sides of the electrical mate ups with some CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner and De-greaser and then applying the Grease as mentioned. Give that a try first and let's hope it works before the Snow and Rain decides to test the idea. By the way... Autozone sells the Electrical Contact Cleaner-De-greaser as well.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I'd try to open up the wipers first. Do you have the rain sense wipers? They're the ones that usually have the issue, but more hesitating than just not working.

Your cruise can only be affected by a few things. A code that's not bringing up a CEL, the fuse (but your brake lights wouldn't work either) or a flaky brake pedal switch.

Reactions: mrrsm

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
I'd look at the wiring from the multifunction switch through the shaft down to the steering column first. The only shared item you've got between wipers *and* cruise is the wiring itself. Turn signals are actuated by the shaft to the column switch mechanically, so they don't share any wiring from the multifunction switch. It's possible that the wiper switch is acting up as well, but cruise control isn't using any of those same contact pads.

Hm...but do they share a ground? I don't have a wiring diagram at hand to
check, but grounds can be a common point of failure. That wouldn't explain the gradual wiper speed failure, but now that everything from the multifunction switch has failed, it could have been a chafed wire that gradually frayed and broke.

Good Luck!

Chris

Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you check my signature, you'll find a link to the manuals which include schematics.

All of the above is good advice but my bet would be the switch as all are related to that or a wiring/ground fault related to it.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Did you ever get a stuttering, chattering wiper? If so, you probably need to clean the wiper in the motor and regrease with dielectric grease.

Envoy10

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
So I am looking into this today. So far I've checked #33 fuse under the rear seat, I've checked for any fault codes for the cruise control and brake lights are all working. I can't seem to find a battery terminal puller near me anywhere, I'm going to have to order one and wait a couple days for it to come in it seems. I will try troubleshooting the switch in the meantime.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
If you are getting the battery terminal puller to remove the wiper arms, don't. All that happened when I used one was I bent the "handle". Just undo the nut until it comes to the top of the post, then smack it a few or more times with a hammer and it should pop loose. Also, squirt some magic piss on there before you start.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Roger that--^-- @Matt...

THIS OTC Tool is a variant of the very expensive K&M version that will work with just a touch of Moly-D HP Grease on the Ball Bearing nose of the pusher center- bolt to keep it from walking off of the Wiper Stud... AND the much Lower Price on this unique tool makes it very attractive, too:

(... take note that it has a Hex Wrench hold assist for those wiper arms that need more effort to "pop" the damned welded on arms free...)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000L7JQE8/?tag=gmtnation-20

...but if that one looks too light to make the wiper arms budge... THIS OTC sturdier version might be your first choice ...with a bigger price tag as well:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CGRQGE/?tag=gmtnation-20

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt

Envoy10

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Update : So I went ahead and ordered a new turn signal switch and replaced it. Unfortunately it did not fix the problem. It's acting weird actually. Cruise control does work again.
Here's where things get weird, the tab to control the sprayer does not work. The knob for wiper speed acts funny. When turned to the lowest setting, it sprays for 5 seconds then turns off, nothing from the wipers. If I go to a faster setting, it sprays for those 5 seconds, then turns off, but repeats this cycle, wipers- still nothing. Finally, when at the off position and turning the knob down to activate the sprayer and wipers for a couple seconds normally, all I'm getting is the sprayer. So I'm confused. It's getting dark out I'll continue tomorrow.

I would love to not have to order this terminal puller, I will use once. I'll try to get them off using your method Matt. It's looking like I will have to get to that motor/control board.

Reactions: Matt

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Keep an eye on your "Hammer Swing" and place something protective on the adjacent windshield as it will be very easy to get too enthusiastic ...and ricochet the strikes into the wind screen glass...

Reactions: Capote

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Had a similar problem on a 97, and it wes the part that mounts to the wiper motor (can't remember the name, washer pump housing?). You didn't need to pull the wiper motor to replace it.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
So in your current state of "repair", you can NOT get the wipers to run in high speed at any position on the signal stock?
You can try
Disconnect the steering column harness connector. Connect a jumper wire
from the windshield wiper switch high signal circuit terminal in the body harness
connector to ground. (Turn ON the ignition)
If it does do high speed, then you need to check the ground circuit on the terminal as that's how the "thing" works without the jumper action. NOTE: you need to find a KNOWN / good ground for testing.
If it doesn't run on high, then you need to get at the motor. Good luck.

Last edited:

Envoy10

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Update : So I had a mechanic friend pull the arms off for me. I tried opening the control box and cleaning the gear and contacts and reassembled it. Did not work. However, the sprayer does work again since cleaning.. I purchased a new motor assembly and installed it. So the 2 fastest speed settings work. The arms continually move, but the slower settings I only get the first movement nothing after. I have a feeling I found the problem. The connector seems to have gotten some grime or sludge in it(see pics). I believe this causing the problem. I will order a new connector and replace it. So I'm thinking, buy the new connector and replace it. Test the new motor assembly, if it works, replace new motor assembly with old assembly to check if it's only the connector that needs to be replaced. If so, return new motor assembly and return new turn signal switch. If you look at the pictures you will the two far right connections are covered in grime. I was able to get most of it off on the bottom right connector(black wire) , but the top right connector (yellow/beige wire) seems to be in worse condition. I don't see any contact point for the male connector to touch.

If anyone has gone down this road, please chime in.

Attachments

• 20171124_144641.jpg
    20171124_144641.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20171124_144823.jpg
    20171124_144823.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 28

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's a new one I believe.

Reactions: Capote

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Your plan sounds good for confirming cause / potentially returning the motor. Just be sure that the place you got it from will take it back - a lot of places won't accept returns on 'electrical' parts. Good luck!

Envoy10

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
UPDATE : So I figured I would update my troubleshooting, maybe this will help someone else down the road.. It seems the wipers are working, they just were not working correctly. The intervals for the different speeds were off. I wasn't sure if rainsense was causing any problems so I removed fuse #29 from the fuse box under the rear seat. That seems to have fixed the problem, all intervals are consistent:
#1- 20sec
#2- 9.5sec
#3- 5.5sec
#4- 3.5sec
#5- 2.5sec
#6- continuous - slow
#7- continuous - fast

With fuse #29 removed, everything seems to be working fine except for the 'o' setting, which sprays fluid and activates the wipers a couple of times. When I reinstall the fuse, it goes back to being inconsistent. The wipers will go 1 time and that's it. Confusing. I do have the SLT trim and I believe it comes with rainsense, although I've never used it. I will have to read up on how it works exactly.

I received the new connector in the mail, so I will install it and see what/if any changes happen. Unfortunately I don't have any real work space, just side of the road in rainy Seattle. So I may have to wait until the next dry day which should be Tuesday. I'm wondering if that one wire in the picture above is causing the problem, we'll see.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Envoy10

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
OK I'm confused here. I've replaced the wiper motor and the connector back in December. All was working fine for a couple of weeks, but now it's acting strange again. The wipers are stoppingin in the middle of travel. I know from reading, that this is usually grease build-up in the controller box, but this is a brand new motor assembly. What else could be causing the wipers to stop and get stuck mid-way through? I ended up just removing the fuse and now it's just a normal wiper system without rainsense. It's working fine like this, but I'd like to know if there's something I'm missing here.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
FWIW... Never having owned a vehicle that sports Rain Sensing Technology... I'm uncertain as to exactly How the Rain Sensor Functions. However.... if it turns out that they all share a similar concept and designs... this video goes a long way towards investigating what to do for a successful repair. This also presents you with the possibility that you are actually dealing with two distinct electrical problems that need two unique modes for their diagnostics:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The vast majority of these trucks don't have rainsense and haven't heard of problems with it. Personally, I'd just live without it.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
the problem may be easy to understand better if when you get into the "fail mode" (if readily reproduceable), you probe the connectors to see what's happening. Normally, for most vehicles (my experience) is that ground removal is used to stop or cause "run on" until the wiper is back at home. You could check to see what condition is causing the result and go from there. check to see if there is anything happening on the control pin since your other test indicated that disabling the rain sensor results in "normal" operation.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is such an arcane set of mechanical and electronic issues that fortunately only occurs on rare occasions. But, when you can get your hands on the COMPLETE Diagnostic and Repair Advice covering the total set of Visual, Technical Equipment Use and Improve Your Understanding of HOW to do this Diagnostic and Repair for a wide range of issues... It's almost Too Good To Be TRUE!

The Vehicle Involved: 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer.
The Malfunction: The Windshield Wipers will NOT Turn Off.

This Video from "Crazy Ivan" from PHAD (Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics) covers all of these salient points:

(1) Comparing a Damaged, Non-OEM Windshield Wiper Motor Module vs. using an ACDelco WWM Module as its Replacement.

(2) How to Dis-Assemble EVERYTHING from the Wiper Supports attachments, through the cowl to gain access to the WW Motor Assembly.

*** TAKE NOTE OF HOW IVAN TILTED THE SPRING-LOCKED BLADES UPWARDS TO AVOID DAMAGING EITHER THE RUBBER WIPERS OR THE BONE DRY WINDSHIELD GLASS ARCED UNDERNEATH AS THE WW BLADES WERE "RUNNING WILD" UNTIL HE COULD PULL THE FUSE AND DISABLE THE WW MOTOR***

(3) How to Set Up and use your DVOM (DMM) and Back Probes AND Perform a "Bench Test" the Unit right ON the Hood of the involved Vehicle.

(4) How to Access, Read and Interpret the All-Data On-Line (On Screen) Windshield Washer Component Assembly and GM Wiring Circuit Diagrams.

(5) How to perform ALL DMM Procedural Tests in an orderly fashion and How to Understand the Electronic Logic Board and Physical Internal Gearing behavior of the WW Module when it either WORKS or FAILS.

(6) How to use the DMM to Verify the Functionality of the Variable WW Control Stem Switch on the Steering Column and eliminate IT as being a cause of this Malfunction.

(7) If you are SMART... You'll Download THIS Video into your "Mechanic's Multi-Media Library" AND perform "PrntScrn" Saves of the Key Images at the Key Points during this Diagnostic Work andthen drop them into your "Windshield Wiper-Washer Repair Instructions Folder".

Last edited:
Reactions: azswiss

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online