Trying to Identify Envoy Module

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
I purchased my Envoy Denali used. The previous owner apparently removed the module/junction I’m trying to identify. The engine cover as well as the plastic dressing that covers the top of the radiator and the front of the area of the engine was also missing. Not sure why but likely due to a few previous repairs, I guess. Sloppy work actually.

I’ve seen enough videos and pictures of the engine bay and noted a red enclosure sitting on a bracket next to the alternator which is also missing on my Envoy. Apparently this enclosure acts houses a connection from the battery to the alternator and possibly some other connections. My battery is connected directly to the alternator and because the enclosure is missing from my vehicle, I don’t know if other connections passed through this housing or not.
Could some please shed some light on this component that appears on most all of the 2002-2009 models I’ve seen on line.

Thanks!!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If you could, take a picture of your engine bay, or a couple, and using MSPaint, circle the areas in question. I can, or another member can, get pictures or close ups of the mentioned pieces, so we can get an idea of what you are specifically talking about.

Reactions: Mooseman

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Sounds like that SVARC thing that was talked about not too long ago. That's not on "all" models though.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The engine cover as well as the plastic dressing that covers the top of the radiator and the front of the area of the engine was also missing.

Those are pretty rare. The only ones that got the engine cover are TB SS and the Saab 9-7x with the V8. The rad cover was on a very few models in early years (very early TB's and some Bravadas) and then possibly only on TB SS later.

What year is your Denali? If you could link or post a pic with the component circled or zoomed in, it would help us.

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Thanks guys I have attached a picture showing where this junction box would have been attached.

My Denali is a 2006

1585486787596.jpeg

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Mine is a much earlier model but the bracket pictured is only used to clamp down the those black corrugated wire bundles in the background. the grey plastic piece at the bottom of the arrowhead shown is on several of those wire bundles and some of them are used to hold those wires in place. I doubt they are totally necessary and were probably removed during some repair and not put back.

I think what you may be talking about is a red square plastic box contained inline of that red wire going to the alternator. Im not sure what is in that red box but suspect it may have been a fuse or just a junction/ connector of some sort. Regardless unless someone else knows otherwise I dont think your missing anything. That red wire going to the alternator has been replaced as all the factory 1's Ive seen are black. Mine is just a straight wire with out that red box and in my envoy repair manual I don't see 1 either. Maybe it came with the heavier amp alternator used in some later models still I don't think its hurting anything by it not being there. Ill keep looking for more info...

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
maxresdefault.jpg

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
If that is what your talking about it is just a junction box. Apparently on this model the wire from the battery feeds something else further down the line and they just tap off of it to power the alternator. I guess you'd need to consult the wiring diagram for your exact model to see if your did in fact at 1 time have this junction.... Still as long as your alternator is connected to the battery I dont see what difference this would make except to save some space...

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
On some of my past gm vehicles, the alternator had a run to the starter as opposed to a connection to the battery as location deemed the "closer route" to a "big cable" / or post. I suspect the junction box was perhaps there but was an issue and was replaced with a large wire to the battery. What does the connector at the battery look like?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
FWIW... eBay has just a few complete New and Used 2006 Denali Engine Cover sets available:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
He has an ENVOY Denali. Those are for the YUKON Denali.

Reactions: Wooluf1952

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
If that is what your talking about it is just a junction box. Apparently on this model the wire from the battery feeds something else further down the line and they just tap off of it to power the alternator. I guess you'd need to consult the wiring diagram for your exact model to see if your did in fact at 1 time have this junction.... Still as long as your alternator is connected to the battery I dont see what difference this would make except to save some space...
Yes this is the junction to which I have been referring. So this is used on some 5.3L engines to connect to the starter solenoid?

Thanks to all for input and assistance.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.