Trying to help some friends

mntb

Original poster
Mar 18, 2016
minnesota
We have some friends that have an '05 Equinox. It's not 's TB but I figured you guys might have some insight on this.
2 of the 3 exhaust flange studs have rusted/broke off. It looks like they are pressed in. They are on the flange that connects the cat to the back part of the exhaust.
Does anyone have any experience replacing exhaust flange studs? I only have hand tool. I do have a smaller propane Torch. I don't have air tools or air hammer.
They don't have the money to pay a shop to fix it. As she is a stay at home mom and he just got laid off. If I can somehow do this myself I will. The one and only stud looks like it's ready to break too.
If someone could give me some ideas that would be great. Maybe heat them up, and pound them out? I can got to a tool store (probably harbor freight?) and get any tools I might need if they are super expensive.
Any tips are greatly appreciated, thank you.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This site is GMTNation, not TB nation. I know we're more oriented towards the GMT360/370 due to our origins but all GMT's are welcome!

I have never seen pressed on exhaust manifold studs and looking at RA, replacement studs are screw in. You may have to take the manifold(s) off and take it to a shop with acetylene torches to get them off. Hopefully yours have a stub sticking out to make the extraction easier. Propane torch won't cut it.

I hate exhaust work for this very reason even though I do have my own torches.

mntb

Original poster
Mar 18, 2016
minnesota
Sorry, Not manifold studs. They are at the on the exhaust side of the cat. Meaning by the carrier bearing roughly under the center console shifter/arm rest. The is a triangle, three stud flange mounted on the catalytic conveverter. The bottom two studs snapped off. The head of the stud is flat. Id like to do it myself as it is learning something new and somewhere down the line I'm sure I'll have to do it to one of our vehicles.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ah, I think I know what what you mean. These are usually bolts that screw into the cat's flange that has welded nuts on it or the flange itself is threaded. You could drill them out and use regular nuts with the bolts.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
I cut them off and drive them out with a hammer & punch. Then nuts & bolts to finish it off.

Reactions: djthumper

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah, mine snapped on my old car, so I drilled them out and used nuts/bolts as well. It was a pain in the butt, however it worked out OK.

mntb

Original poster
Mar 18, 2016
minnesota
I may need to get a new drill and drill bits. Any recommendations on drill bits? The drill I have is dying anyway.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
The studs are pressed in and are VERY tight to drive out. I usually use my acetylene torch to heat around the stud and then drive it out.

The studs are also VERY hard material and I've tried to drill them out, the torch is much easier and faster.

Reactions: MAY03LT

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
If a torch isnt available, I've used dremel discs to cut the welded nuts off and then bang out what's left. Patience is required but a pack of discs is less then one good drill bit.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
No kidding... Drilling them sucked.

It was a drill and bit that my buddy had at his work where we were doing that project. Thankfully (and miraculously) the Trailblazer's cat bolts came undone without much fuss when we dropped the exhaust to fix some stuff and wanted to gain some clearance.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.