Trouble with shift cable to trans. lingage attachment?

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Happy Holidays again:smile: while going thru the gears gently to top off fluid the cable came off lingage arm! :sadcry: I'm not sure whats fu#* up? simply slides on & off...might be missing a spring clip in cable end?? That cable end holds a small steel washer as you can see on the outboard side which seems to do nothing?IMG_3145.JPG

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
On the end of that rusty shift lever you're holding is a rusty, discolored plastic bushing that's supposed to be captive in the cable end. Usually when these fail it just pops off from the ball detent on the lever and leaves the bushing in the cable. First time I've seen it this way around.

But, the usual fix is a Dorman 14055 shift cable bushing kit. That or a new shifter cable completely. There's a couple other brands of these bushings and different styles but likely the Dorman will be the only one in stock at your local parts place.

Reactions: mrrsm and Eric04

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
You mention 14055 & others mention 14057....which to get? mine is 2002...

I went & got both now which to open/use? :smile:

Last edited:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I used the 14055 on mom's 04. Bushing is kinda difficult to get in, had to use a pocket screw driver to force its edge through the opening.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I’d like to add that for around $20.00 in a ‘BUY IT NOW’ Good Used Condition available on eBay… You should consider replacing that Gnarly, Crusty, Rusty, Dusty, Musty Shift Link Armature B4 the Tip of the Ball End of it dissolves away enough to the point where the New Replacement White Nylon Shifter Cable Grommet ...has absolutely nothing left to 'cling' on to:

SHIFTLINKARMATURE.jpgSHIFTLINKARMATURE1.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online