NEED HELP Trouble removing intake

NoDak Ninja

Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
I previously posted about oil in my spark plug pockets. Tightening the bolts didn't do the trick so I am replacing the valve cover gasket.

BUT; I am having a heck of a time getting the intake manifold out of the engine compartment. No matter how I turn or twist it, it won't come out. It is mainly hitting what I believe are fuel lines? Since I couldn't find any other posts with this problem, I am assuming I missed a step? Help please! (sorry about the image. It's getting rotated when I upload)
WP_20170319_001.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Did you remove the PCM via the Two Bolts and Two Nuts from the Brass threaded mounts of the Intake Manifold First... or is it a problem of not reaching or removing all of the Fasteners? in the 2002 Engine series...there is One Hidden Fastener dead center where the PCV Elbow that resides at center bottom connects up to the Intake Manifold. That hose must be carefully removed first in order to gain access to the small Bolt Head.

Reactions: NoDak Ninja

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Disconnect the fuel lines to get them out of the way. There is also the metal "tray" that holds the fuel lines and wiring looms that should be removed. It is help by the two bottom PCM studs and a lower bolt on the block.

NoDak Ninja

Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
PCM is removed and all 10 bolts have been loosened completely. It's not that it is still attached to anything, it's just that I can't get the dang thing out of the engine compartment. I did everything my Haynes manual said to do. I'm fit to be tied.
Bravade intake.jpg

NoDak Ninja

Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Disconnect the fuel lines to get them out of the way. There is also the metal "tray" that holds the fuel lines and wiring looms that should be removed. It is help by the two bottom PCM studs and a lower bolt on the block.

I've never removed the fuel lines. Do they just pull off once the clip is removed? Do I need to relieve any pressure first?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If all you need to do is unfasten the Engine Valve Cover to change out the Gaskets... and you can access all of those Fasteners now that the Intake Manifold is loose... Perhaps you can still get that job done...without having to completely extricate the Intake Manifold from the Work Field to do so.

EDIT:

Likewise... if you can loosen the Fasteners holding down the Fuel Rail...and just move it aside a bit... you would not need to disconnect the Fuel Lines either...

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Pressure relief would have been ideal but you're at where you're at so rags will be needed. You need a fuel line removal tool. Those clips don't do much really.

otc-7660-400.jpg

NoDak Ninja

Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Thanks a bunch to both of you. The nearest town with an open automotive store today is 50 miles from me, so it looks like I'll be trying MRRSM's method.

NoDak Ninja

Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
As a follow up: I kind of got tunnel vision in regards to getting that intake manifold out. Per MRRSM's suggestion, I left it in and moved on to the valve cover. Removing the valve cover gave me just enough extra room to get the intake out. It was tight, and I had to push on the fuel lines some, but it came out.

Everything went pretty smooth aftet that and it's all back together and running. But, I created a new problem. It is now htrowing code P1120: Throttle Position Sensor Out of Range. I'll start a new thread for that.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online