Trip to the Salvage Yard

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Took my first trip to a U-Pull lot near me. Lesson 1: Bring a wagon! Carrying the toolbag around got old, and they wheelbarrows they had for borrowing looked a little clunky for convenience. Overall though, it was a good trip. They charged 2.00 to enter the lot, but did print me off a list of where all the Trailblazer and Envoys were.

My number 1 target was the passenger mirror turn signal lens. Had a close encounter with a pillar in a parking garage. Only found an orange one, I previously had clear, but it's better then the wire I have hanging right now! I went ahead and took the whole mirror as it was more convenient.

I was also looking for a rear washer pump, ended up grabbing two and a spare for the front. It's a whole lot easier to get at those when the front end is removed from the truck. Somehow I feel like the install is going to involve a bit of scrapping, but I'll make it work.

Also found an idle air control for our 2000 Windstar and a tail light for same. The IAC took the longest of any of it, 1 stupid buried bolt. That will also be a run install, but it will be nice to fix it's low idle/stalling issues.

Did not see any intact center console lids, not shock there!

Now I've got a few projects to keep my spare time occupied.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah, you can get a worn out arm if you have to carry a bunch of tools. The handful of times I've gone, I'll usually have just what I need to get what I'm after. The last time I went, that bit me in the ass though... Came across a wrecked white EXT that had an all black interior. Would have loved to grab all of the panels, and even the dash (although I've never removed that before, so didn't know what all was involved) but I didn't have any of my sockets or a ratchet :dunce: :duh:

That particular one didn't have wheel barrows, and was in the neighboring county, so going home to get tools to come back wasn't on my to do list. :no:

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
I have that exact one, minus the shelf, in red. Will be with me next time.

I did narrow down the tool bag a lot when I headed in, but had a full set of almost everything in my truck. I grabbed just a few sockets and got lucky as the Idle Air Control I grabbed from the Windstar was a last minute find and I just happened to have the right socket.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Pull-it yards can be a goldmine. My nicest find was a top radiator cover off a Bravada. Second nicest was a set of Husky liners for the front and rear cargo area. I also got some aux tranny coolers. I once spotted almost new hubs but didn't have the axle socket with me and the truck was gone the next time I went. I also picked up a harmonic balancer for the 4.2 when I destroyed mine during the timing chain job.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If your Salvage Yard search involves going after "Bigger Game" at the JY... This Gorilla Cart will be a Godsend. After my accident with a Back Injury... I lost the ability to stand properly without using a Telescoping Cane... so anything as heavy as a few bags of Concrete Mix or Engine Block Heads, etc... would be an impossible objects for me to move around from place to place. This "Kit Cart" via Amazon sells for around $130.00 and it has turned out to be incredibly useful, especially when I still had access to my Son's 2003 Chevrolet 1500 Silverado.

Because the thing is sturdy and strong and is nice and narrow with a kind of "5th Wheel" steering handle armature design that lets it enjoy a very tight turning radius... I can navigate it around my yard on its Pneumatic Tires while toting some Pretty Hefty Stuff. And even on the occasions when I have to sit down because of 'My Bad Left Leg' ... I can simply take down the Removable Side and Back Steel Mesh Panels to take a break. I can keep coming up with other reasons to praise it up... but I think you can get an pretty good idea of its value. Here are some images I took of the thing before, during and after its assembly:

http://s557.photobucket.com/user/60dgrzbelow0/library/GORILLACART?sort=3&page=1

Available at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BECQEA2/?tag=gmtnation-20

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
I was a veteran customer at the LKQ yard back home. My best friend is a mechanic, so I would tag along with him at least 4 times a year.
Knock on wood, I never needed anything mechanical. I just went for fun and found some cool stuff.
My coolest GMT3X0 finds were a Waag guard, a NorthFace edition, and the original S10-based TrailBlazer package.
I never could find a V8 with the engine still there.

Here's a tip for LKQ yards (at least the ones I went to in MD) - only if I asked, they would stamp my hand so I could come and go as I pleased all day.
This was useful for just bringing basic tools in, but then being able to go back home and get more tools if a project got more involved (or required some weird .5 size torx that I didn't own).

I live in the HSV area now, so if anyone nearby wants a buddy to hit up the LKQ on Stringfield Rd, I'd be more than willing. I already broke my glove box handle and need a new one.

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
My wagon is Mac Sports. Not as heavy duty as the afore mentioned Gorilla Cart, but also only 40-50 bucks. We've used it many times, the ability to fold up and stow easily is great. Our main use has been lacrosse tournaments where we have to haul food and drinks to whatever field we're assigned and beach trips where parking isn't convenient.

Just had a snow day called for tomorrow, so I might get the chance to do my rear pump. Still go to order the bushings for the Windstar IAC, maybe I should do that now.

Sneakycyber

Oct 30, 2017
Ohio
Thanks Instrumental, and MRRSM. I will take a look at these. There are a few items on my want list for this spring and the more tools and goodies I can carry the better (My Dewalt Impact gun weighs allot!)

Edit: Thanks on the tip gpking, we have an LKQ about an hour away that I was thinking of stopping at.

Nice, Just checked the LKQ inventory list. They have 16 Trailblazer's on the lot.

Edit: Only 3 LTZ's, hopefully they are not too picked over. The inventory list is from last year.

Kelly@PCMofNC

Mar 16, 2013
That's awesome. Brings back memories. I needed this random exhaust isolator that wasn't sold by GM anymore and was struggling to pull one off a Camaro, laying in the mud. Good ol boys brought over a fork lift and lifted that sucker right up for me, made quick work of that :wink:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online