Transmission

Dave4411

Original poster
Feb 20, 2016
Modesto ca
Driving home from work the other day my transmission wouldn't shift into 3rd or 4th after second it sounds like it goes in to neutral any ideas what would cause it

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
From the limited info, I'd guess the 3-4 clutch isn't being engaged.

What can you tell us regarding mileage, any prior fluid changes / maintenance, prior issues, etc.

Dave4411

Original poster
Feb 20, 2016
Modesto ca
From the limited info, I'd guess the 3-4 clutch isn't being engaged.

What can you tell us regarding mileage, any prior fluid changes / maintenance, prior issues, etc.
The trailblazer has about almost 200,000 never had an issue with it until now the fluid was good until I drove it home It got a little black. So I searched the web a decided to change shift solenoids and filter but still the same I don't know if the tranny was maintained last

Jul 24, 2012
This is a good video

I'm reinstalling (hopefully!) my transmission today after a rebuild. Had the same problem you have. 3-4 clutch packs were fried. Got the whole thing rebuilt for $900, but I am pulling and putting back in with some help from a friend. I was quoted up to $3200 to have a shop do it.

Transmissions are not forever things. I don't tow much ever, drive to be nice to it, and I got 235,000 out of my transmission with just a little maintenance. You might find a less painful way out of this one but there is a good chance you are on for a rebuild.

Dave4411

Original poster
Feb 20, 2016
Modesto ca
This is a good video

I'm reinstalling (hopefully!) my transmission today after a rebuild. Had the same problem you have. 3-4 clutch packs were fried. Got the whole thing rebuilt for $900, but I am pulling and putting back in with some help from a friend. I was quoted up to $3200 to have a shop do it.

Transmissions are not forever things. I don't tow much ever, drive to be nice to it, and I got 235,000 out of my transmission with just a little maintenance. You might find a less painful way out of this one but there is a good chance you are on for a rebuild.
Thanks for the video was hoping didn't have to come to replacing the transmission but it looks like I'm going to have to

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I had a similar issue. It was the forward sprag that failed. I needed a rebuild. The fluid went from good to black quickly as it was running on some other band. I was told that would have failed after 30-40 miles ish. Hope your luck is better than mine.

Reactions: Reprise

Dave4411

Original poster
Feb 20, 2016
Modesto ca
I had a similar issue. It was the forward sprag that failed. I needed a rebuild. The fluid went from good to black quickly as it was running on some other band. I was told that would have failed after 30-40 miles ish. Hope your luck is better than mine.
Thanks for the info I'm really not trying to replace the transmission It shifts fine manually until I hit overdrive maybe that will help me get more info

miketx

Feb 13, 2018
texas
Anytime a 4L60 trans shifts to third and the engines races, it means the 3-4 clutch has failed. Changing solenoids or whatever is a waste of time and money unfortunately.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online