NEED HELP Transmission wont shift out of park

dvs.dave.03ltz

Original poster
Jan 7, 2018
Texas
So my transmission won't shift out of park, to be more specific, the button on the side of the gear shifter won't depress or release. When I press the brake pedal down I'm not hearing the click of the brake switch (on thr side of brake pedal) or the click of the shift lever switch (inside center console). I've already taken the brake switch out and the switch appears opperational, and none of the contacts inside are burned, missing or broken. Any suggestions as to what the culprit might be are greatly appreciated, or if there is a work around thatll get me mobile so i can get home cause I'm stranded at the pharmacy until I figure this out... thanks in advance..

Maverick

Oct 9, 2012
Do your brake lights come on if you step on the brake?

There is a lock switch on the shifter, it gets released when you step on the brake. If your brake lights arent coming on its probably a faulty switch you just cant tell with out testing with a mutimeter

Maverick

Oct 9, 2012
Your fuse numbers may differ but I also have a 03 ltz so this should be right..... 🤨

dvs.dave.03ltz

Original poster
Jan 7, 2018
Texas
So I put in a new brake switch and it still won't disengage the park lock solenoid. So I'm guessing it's the solenoid or lock shift actuator, is this correct? And if so where are /is the actuator located?

Maverick

Oct 9, 2012
So I put in a new brake switch and it still won't disengage the park lock solenoid. So I'm guessing it's the solenoid or lock shift actuator, is this correct? And if so where are /is the actuator located?

Check the fuses I mentioned?

Maverick

Oct 9, 2012
One of a few things in my opinion then, just what I think as Ive never experienced this issue

1. Dead actuator yes, I think its under the shift boot mounted to the bottom of the selector??
  2. Break in a wire . First guess... neutral switch on transmission, 2nd bad ground on actuator, 3rd break somewhere else in the schematic above like between the brake switch and the actuator
  3. might just need to remove the shift handle and reinstall it might not be electrical at all unless you test the wires with a multimeter

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
This platform has a common problem with the wires flexing and breaking for the shift interlock. You can get it out of park by depressing the bypass switch (white button) which in on the passenger side of the center console down below the shifter. Not sure if you can get at it without removing that center console. You can get that center console off and the shifter boot by yourself to expose the wires.

From the old site....

dvs.dave.03ltz

Original poster
Jan 7, 2018
Texas
*SOLVED* So the cause of the stuck gear shifter: the incline at which I was parked!! Yep you read that right. Let me explain: I parked the trailblazer on a slight incline, and when I placed it in park and turned it off and let off the brake, it rolled backwards enough to put the transmission in a bind. Not sure why that caused the trans park/brake safety button to lock up but whatevs lol, have been mobile since yall told me about the override button in the center console. Soon as i hit the button there was a loud pop from the drive train and the shifter/button have been playing nice ever since. Thanks yall for guidance....

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
This is the big reason I use my parking brake -- to avoid putting too much tension on the parking pawl. And I pretty much live in the flatlands. Just a habit I have (from my old manual trans days), and a good one to get into, IMHO.

The nice thing is, the 360/370 twins have a hand-operated e-brake lever, which, as I always say, is the 'right' place to put it, vs. the floor-mounted pedal (like on the pickups). End of lecture. :laugh:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online