NEED HELP Transmission will not shift into any gear

James Benge

Original poster
Feb 28, 2017
Reelsville, IN
I have a 03 Envoy 2wd with transmission issues. Was driving home and it just went into neutral. No sounds or smells of any kind. I took the trans pan off and I have power to all 4 shift solenoid with the key on. No power to the pressure control solenoid though. Is it supposed to? Fluid was a little dark but no metal or anything in the pan. I unhooked the battery for a while and the service engine soon light doesn't come on anymore. Shift cable is fine. What could be the problem? Any help would be appreciated. I can't afford to have it towed to a mechanic. I don't have a scanner.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I assume the fluid level is good and the filter isn't clogged.

I would check the wiring harness going into the trans, just above the pan. Make sure the connection is clean and dry.

How many miles, maintenance history?

Other then that, you could have a faulty shift solenoid, perhaps try swapping solenoids.

You can have power to the solenoids, doesn't mean they are working. I doubt both failed at once which is why I suggest swapping them.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Failed pump. :frown:

Rarely will I jump straight to a worst case scenario but for these symptoms (cruising along with a sudden, complete loss of all gears without warning or noise despite adequate fluid in the pan) has proven to almost always be the pump cracking apart and eating itself. It's a known weak spot on these transmissions.

There's a pump outlet pressure tap (1/8-27 NPT) plug on the drivers side of the transmission if you want to confirm with a mechanical pressure gauge.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
pump. been through it twice.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online