transmission whine?

AnimateDeath

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
I have a whine coming from under my TB. It changes in pitch as I change speed and it changes pitch when the tranny shifts. I'm assuming it's coming from the tranny. It does it when in park as well as any other gear. Is this a normal sound or a sign that a fluid needs changed or something? The tranny fluid doesn't look dark, and doesn't smell burnt.

At first I thought it was the steering pump because the whine sounded just like it, but sticking my head under the hood, it wasn't coming from it.

Any thoughts?

AnimateDeath

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Around 142k. It was changed right before I bought it this past June. It is always with engine rpm.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
AnimateDeath said:
Around 142k. It was changed right before I bought it this past June. It is always with engine rpm.

So what you are saying is, it is engine speed related which makes me think belt tensioner. I would start there.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I would remove the serpentine belt and see if it disappears, that would at least (hopefully) remove the tranny from the equation.

Only run it this way briefly, as the coolant cannot circulate without the belt.

AnimateDeath

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
The reason I think something tranny-wise, is because the sound doesn't seem to be coming from the front. If it was power steering pump, wouldn't it change quite a bit when I turn the steering wheel? Maybe the sound is tricking me, I'm sure after years and years of extremely loud stereo in my cars has taken it's toll.

I'll pull the belt and see if it stops but probably tomorrow because it is colder than I would prefer at the moment. 17f and wind chill at 2f.

Thanks for the assist on this! It's nothing i'm too worried about right now, just really annoying. I just changed out both front wheel bearings and that silenced that noise, but then I could hear this one. I swear it sounds just like a steering pump, but when I get my head close to it, doesn't sound like it's coming from there. Maybe it's a ventriloquist. Or maybe it's the tensioner, though it still doesn't sound like it's coming from the front. I'll find out in the next couple days and report back. :yes:

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
If you are getting a whine that changes with engine RPM's and it sounds like it's coming from the trans, it could be the transmission pump. I've heard them start to whine on higher mileage transmissions. Sometimes a trans service/flush takes care of it.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Agree on the trans, if the noise persists after the belt is removed, I would drop the pan and at least change the filter in case you are possibly starving the pump.

AnimateDeath

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
well, as it turns out, I can't hear very well. LOL The wife and my oldest boy had a listen and both pointed to the steering pump. I took off the belt and the noise stopped. Man, I could have swore that it was coming from somewhere else LOL.. thanks for the ideas on what to do.

Reactions: Bill05EnvoySLT

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
Curious as I have the same issue. Whine in low gear when accelerating. I just did my valve body tcc pwm fix last February and just now is starting this whine. Fluid, filter good. No burn..shifts great! Will try the belt thing to see if it goes away.

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
Yup..just took off my belt and noise gone. Put on and turn wheel with about 2k rpm and wow...consistent with the pump being used..high the rpm higher the whine when steering turned left to right...must be why quiet when at idle and turning the wheel, only sounds bad with rpm's.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.