Transmission whine after servicing

zamimj222

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Illinois
I have a little over 120K on my 2004 Envoy. I recently replaced the oil and filter for the trans as well as the gear oil in both differentials and changed the transfer case oil. After all this :mad:, I am now getting a whine for a few seconds on start up, while the truck is idling and still in park. It does go away. I checked the fluid level and everything is fine there. I used a filter / gasket set from AutoZone as well as Penzoil Dexron III as that was the only Dexron III I could find. So Part two to this, is if I have to drain again and check the filter, should I use GM filter / gasket and can I get away with using Dexron IV or better in this trans without any issues? Does Mobil 1 make a dexron IV or better fluid?

Thanks all!!! :thumbsup:

zamimj222

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Illinois
Wooluf1952 said:
:tiphat: Welcome:tiphat:

In case you haven't
heard:
http://gmtnation.com/f5/welcome-gmtnation-com-heres-story-226/

Not sure about the whine, however it is Dexron VI, not IV. (6 not 4)
That may be why you couldn't find it.

Also, Mobil 1 does make a Dexron VI.

I flushed the whole system through the trans hose attached to the radiator so I could make sure I had all the old and Dexron III out. I did change the filter/gasket out. I replaced the pan with one with a drain plug for next time. I did use Dexron VI and can feel improved shifting smoothness.

Now I have a different problem which may have been part of the original and I might have misdiagnosed this all together. I have a noise that follows the acceleration from around 30-35 MPH and up. It is louder than the exhaust. Could it be the air pump I have been hearing that is starting to go?

usmc

Dec 30, 2011
zamimj222 said:
I have a little over 120K on my 2004 Envoy. I recently replaced the oil and filter for the trans as well as the gear oil in both differentials and changed the transfer case oil. After all this :mad:, I am now getting a whine for a few seconds on start up, while the truck is idling and still in park. It does go away. I checked the fluid level and everything is fine there. I used a filter / gasket set from AutoZone as well as Penzoil Dexron III as that was the only Dexron III I could find. So Part two to this, is if I have to drain again and check the filter, should I use GM filter / gasket and can I get away with using Dexron IV or better in this trans without any issues? Does Mobil 1 make a dexron IV or better fluid?

zamimj222
I had a similar thing happen to me after filter & fluid change on our '04 TB. The wine didn't start until the next day or two, when cold @ 1st start up. It would continue until shifting into 2nd gear. This went on for a couple days. I found a post about a similar situation & the problem appeared to be the plastic filter. My guess is that a sonic weld joint would break when the fluid would be pulled thru it, specifically when cold due to the thicker fluid then. I pulled the pan & installed a new filter & the problem went away. Guess I got a better sonic welded filter.

As for the fluid question, be aware that GM dropped the Trade Mark Dexrom III in '06 I think. Before that, anyone that made & sold this stuff had to have it meet GM's certification. After the new generation of fluid came out (Dexron VI) GM did not want to continue the certification & policing process of the old stuff, so they dropped it. In essence, this allows anyone to sell their fluid as Dexron III, which may or may not meet the old spec. When the new Dexron VI came out, anyone wanting to sell it had to be licensed & certified by GM, so any NEW VI should say it's certified from GM or meets their spec. The cheapest place I found to get the VI is from Wal Mart under the label of Super Tech. It states that it is "GM APPROVED" for use where a DEXRON VI product is recommended (with the register copyright symbol) I do not endorse this but am just passing on information that I have read. I have used this transmission fluid in ALL my vehicles that used the old III stuff and have not had any issues.

Here's a link with an explanation about the process.
DEXRON®-VI - GM Techlink

Hope this helps.....

zamimj222

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Illinois
usmc said:
zamimj222
I had a similar thing happen to me after filter & fluid change on our '04 TB. The wine didn't start until the next day or two, when cold @ 1st start up. It would continue until shifting into 2nd gear. This went on for a couple days. I found a post about a similar situation & the problem appeared to be the plastic filter. My guess is that a sonic weld joint would break when the fluid would be pulled thru it, specifically when cold due to the thicker fluid then. I pulled the pan & installed a new filter & the problem went away. Guess I got a better sonic welded filter.

As for the fluid question, be aware that GM dropped the Trade Mark Dexrom III in '06 I think. Before that, anyone that made & sold this stuff had to have it meet GM's certification. After the new generation of fluid came out (Dexron VI) GM did not want to continue the certification & policing process of the old stuff, so they dropped it. In essence, this allows anyone to sell their fluid as Dexron III, which may or may not meet the old spec. When the new Dexron VI came out, anyone wanting to sell it had to be licensed & certified by GM, so any NEW VI should say it's certified from GM or meets their spec. The cheapest place I found to get the VI is from Wal Mart under the label of Super Tech. It states that it is "GM APPROVED" for use where a DEXRON VI product is recommended (with the register copyright symbol) I do not endorse this but am just passing on information that I have read. I have used this transmission fluid in ALL my vehicles that used the old III stuff and have not had any issues.

Here's a link with an explanation about the process.
DEXRON®-VI - GM Techlink

Hope this helps.....

Great to know!! So now how do you know if you get a good filter before you install it and have to deal with a noise until you change it out again???

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
zamimj222 said:
Now I have a different problem which may have been part of the original and I might have misdiagnosed this all together. I have a noise that follows the acceleration from around 30-35 MPH and up. It is louder than the exhaust. Could it be the air pump I have been hearing that is starting to go?

I think the air pump only runs on a cold startup, until the engine warms up. If you hear a loud exhaust type noise, wonder if you have a cracked exhaust manifold.

usmc

Dec 30, 2011
zamimj222 said:
Great to know!! So now how do you know if you get a good filter before you install it and have to deal with a noise until you change it out again???

Good question. I had bought mine at AutoZone. Maybe pay the extra $$$ & get an AC Delco filter. Maybe we get what we pay for.

zamimj222

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Illinois
usmc said:
Good question. I had bought mine at AutoZone. Maybe pay the extra $$$ & get an AC Delco filter. Maybe we get what we pay for.
I picked an AC Delco one up yesterday from the dealership and God willing I will get it changed out today and hopefully have no more noises!!!!!!

zamimj222

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Illinois
zamimj222 said:
I picked an AC Delco one up yesterday from the dealership and God willing I will get it changed out today and hopefully have no more noises!!!!!!

Ok, all back together.... fingers crossed. I will let you know if the OEM one worked any better... Now, the seal was still nice and tight so I have not replaced it at all since this fiasco started. Just filter and gasket.

zamimj222

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Illinois
zamimj222 said:
Ok, all back together.... fingers crossed. I will let you know if the OEM one worked any better... Now, the seal was still nice and tight so I have not replaced it at all since this fiasco started. Just filter and gasket.
If this seal does need replaced, any ideas on how to remove it would be greatly appreciated... I tried with a pick set and small screw driver and no budge. Also the seal is still holding very well, so I don't think that is causing any issue. Yet....

zamimj222

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Illinois
zamimj222 said:
If this seal does need replaced, any ideas on how to remove it would be greatly appreciated... I tried with a pick set and small screw driver and no budge. Also the seal is still holding very well, so I don't think that is causing any issue. Yet....

Well, drove to work today and have the same growl that follows the speed of the car starting around 30 MPH and not the shifting point. I am wondering if it is the front differential now????

zamimj222

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Illinois
zamimj222 said:
Well, drove to work today and have the same growl that follows the speed of the car starting around 30 MPH and not the shifting point. I am wondering if it is the front differential now????

After a few weeks of just letting the noise aggravate me, I took it to a mechanic that a friend of mine recommended. I am thankful to say that it is one of the front hub wheel bearings that is causing the issue. And will be replaced soon!!!

zamimj222

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Illinois
zamimj222 said:
After a few weeks of just letting the noise aggravate me, I took it to a mechanic that a friend of mine recommended. I am thankful to say that it is one of the front hub wheel bearings that is causing the issue. And will be replaced soon!!!

I beleive the original problem I had was the sonic weld from a cheap filter when I originally serviced the trans. Then coincidentally while servicing the trans to replace the bad filter and flush the oil out, the wheel bearing noise appeared and I thought it was due to something I had done with the trans service. Now I know if I hear the growl from under starting around 30 MPH and vibrating start looking a bit further and don't second guess myself right away!! I am sorry if I confused any of you with my misdiagnosis of my own vehicle.

zamimj222

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Illinois
zamimj222 said:
I have a little over 120K on my 2004 Envoy. I recently replaced the oil and filter for the trans as well as the gear oil in both differentials and changed the transfer case oil. After all this :mad:, I am now getting a whine for a few seconds on start up, while the truck is idling and still in park. It does go away. I checked the fluid level and everything is fine there. I used a filter / gasket set from (AutoZone, actually was PepBoys, sorry looked back through the receipts) as well as Penzoil Dexron III as that was the only Dexron III I could find. So Part two to this, is if I have to drain again and check the filter, should I use GM filter / gasket and can I get away with using Dexron IV or better in this trans without any issues? Does Mobil 1 make a dexron IV or better fluid?

actually was PepBoys Purolator, not Autozone sorry looked back through the receipts

usmc

Dec 30, 2011
zamimj222 said:
actually was PepBoys Purolator, not Autozone sorry looked back through the receipts

So, if I understand you correctly, the noise from the transmission is gone? with the new filter.

zamimj222

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Illinois
usmc said:
So, if I understand you correctly, the noise from the transmission is gone? with the new filter.

The original whine for a few seconds at initial start up and idle has gone away since replacing the filter from the Pepboys Purolator one to the Wix. I could have stopped there if I had put in the Dexron VI fluid the first time. There was no real difference from the WIX to the AC delco except about $25. Well, I just made some auto part stores a little richer on my ignorance....:mad:

usmc

Dec 30, 2011
zamimj222 said:
The original whine for a few seconds at initial start up and idle has gone away since replacing the filter from the Pepboys Purolator one to the Wix. I could have stopped there if I had put in the Dexron VI fluid the first time. There was no real difference from the WIX to the AC delco except about $25. Well, I just made some auto part stores a little richer on my ignorance....:mad:

Good, glad to here the 'whine' noise is gone. There for a minute I thought you still had that issue OR it was later discovered to be the bearing that you found later. I hope this wil be some good info for others.

zamimj222

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Illinois
usmc said:
Good, glad to here the 'whine' noise is gone. There for a minute I thought you still had that issue OR it was later discovered to be the bearing that you found later. I hope this wil be some good info for others.

After all said and done, the noise that creeped up on me during my trans servicing was the front left wheel bearing. I had it replaced and all is right with my Envoy for now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.