NEED HELP Transmission swap questions

basicstencer

Original poster
Apr 26, 2018
Michigan
Hey guys, new to the site. I've been trying to find info on this but have yet to find anything really useful. I just picked up an 02 TB 4x4 for next to nothing. Runs great, high miles, but needs a transmission. I already have a 1999 Blazer 4x4 with a rebuilt transmission and a blown motor. I know the transmission I already have has a removable bellhousing. So the real question here is can I swap bell housings and put the rebuilt transmission in my TB? I've heard people say yes, I've had transmission shops say no (for ridiculous reasons not pertaining to any real reasons I could see being the problem). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Short answer - yes. You might have a little more work than a bellhousing swap (thinking about the front axle connection /housing), but it should be pretty straightforward. It also helps that the TB is an '02; after 2004, you have to account for more changes, plus the intro of a separate trans control module (TCM).

Use the harness / connectors from the TB, and I think you'll be OK. Put in an aftermarket trans cooler, if the Blazer can't contribute one.

The TBs programming uses PWM, although many of us defeat it mechanically, through a tune, or both. If you plan on keeping it, make sure the torque converter from the Blazer is made to work with it (it should have 'PWM' stamped on it, IIRC.) Don't swap converters; if you decide to put in another in place of the Blazer's, put a new one in. If you plan on towing, maybe bump the stall from the stock 2800.

That's all I can think of, at least. Just curious - what reasons did the shops give against it? Might be something I / others didn't consider.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd put in a new torque converter specific for the GMT360 as the Blazer's may be different for size, bolt pattern and stall speed.

And yes, an aux cooler is pretty mandatory for better longevity.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I don't know if I'd call it mandatory in my experience (215k without one), but it certainly cannot hurt and if you're under there doing a bunch of it work you might as well do it!

Reactions: Reprise

basicstencer

Original poster
Apr 26, 2018
Michigan
Short answer - yes. You might have a little more work than a bellhousing swap (thinking about the front axle connection /housing), but it should be pretty straightforward. It also helps that the TB is an '02; after 2004, you have to account for more changes, plus the intro of a separate trans control module (TCM).

Use the harness / connectors from the TB, and I think you'll be OK. Put in an aftermarket trans cooler, if the Blazer can't contribute one.

The TBs programming uses PWM, although many of us defeat it mechanically, through a tune, or both. If you plan on keeping it, make sure the torque converter from the Blazer is made to work with it (it should have 'PWM' stamped on it, IIRC.) Don't swap converters; if you decide to put in another in place of the Blazer's, put a new one in. If you plan on towing, maybe bump the stall from the stock 2800.

That's all I can think of, at least. Just curious - what reasons did the shops give against it? Might be something I / others didn't consider.
Primarily they wrote it off due to the whole 4.3L V6 vs 4.2L I6 deal, but then threw something in about having different gear ratios. Now, I know that was an issue when I had a Subaru Legacy, I couldn't just throw any transmission in since the front differential was part of the transmission, but I don't see what that would have to do with anything.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you have not as yet attempted to remove the 4L60E Bell Housing Shell... You will need to obtain a Special Torx-Plus Bit that can be found as a selection from this link to Amazon. Standard T-50 Torx Bits will just snap off or damage the Bell Housing as they are installed at the GM Factories with enormous tightening and because the Fasteners are recessed it makes accessing them that much more difficult.

Consider getting one (or perhaps two...just in case) that sport the 1/2" Square Insert and choose a sturdy Breaker Bar over using any Impact Tools for this Job... at least until AFTER you manage to break all of the OEM Torx-Plus Fasteners loose. Google Youtube for related videos on how to use this tool in the most productive manner. You can choose from among these flavors offered up on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=automotive&field-keywords=TORX-plus+50IP

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online