transmission slipping

KVicars

Original poster
Mar 2, 2014
Try to make this short and sweet. I had my transmission rebuilt at reputable transmission shop at approximately 150,000 miles, Transmission worked perfectly. Front differential had to be replaced at 215,000. Vehicle sat for about 6-7 months. Anyway the guy that put differential in it busted my radiator, he replaced the radiator but problem was he didn't have cooler line on driver side seated properly and caused transmission to slip because fluid drained out. I fixed that and added full synthetic fluid. Drove it about 100 miles with no slipping or any issues. Started slipping again fluid is full. Any suggestions on what to do to fix? Or am i wasting time to flush and change filter? Anything else worth looking at doing? Thanks in advance.
Kevin

Alec Venable

Oct 23, 2016
Earth
Hmm. What I can say is that it's hard on any vehicle for it to sit for prolonged periods of time. Although it is surprising that it's slipping with a fresh set of clutch packs. When a vehicle sits for a long time, the fluids begin to break down. So it might be possible the transmission fluid has lost it's ability to generate the amount of pressure required for solid shifts. As a possible fix, I would look into having a corvette servo installed. I had this done to my tranny about 20,000 miles ago and it works wonders. I'm at 213,xxx and still on the original transmission.

https://globaltransmissionparts.com...46CUE7VDXmeeDt03wrLd6fLJ6Upq7J5hoCIskQAvD_BwE

I don't know what your shop would charge to have it installed, but the mechanic I go through only charged me $25 to install it. Of course, I had to buy the servo first, then he just slid it in. Also, it might not be a bad idea to replace the fluid that's in the pan, seeming as the fluid that is in there already has sat for over half a year. During the rebuild, did they replace all the solenoids in the valve body?

miketx

Feb 13, 2018
texas
Well, if you drove it for any length of time very low on fluid that will wreak havoc on a fresh set of clutch packs, new or not. If it's full of fluid and still slips then I'd say you have internal damage.

Reactions: Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Well, if you drove it for any length of time very low on fluid that will wreak havoc on a fresh set of clutch packs, new or not. If it's full of fluid and still slips then I'd say you have internal damage.

Agreed. Would bet on burnt clutches from slippage and conversely lack of lubrication from low fluid which in turn caused the slipping in the first place.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
4L60s are not forgiving of low fluid.
Assuming one is as little as two quarts low, it only takes about 2min at highway speeds to smoke the clutch packs. I did this very thing.

Once that happens, it makes no difference if you refill w/ the best fluid in the world - the damage is done at that point. R&R.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.