NEED HELP Transmission shift linkage issues

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Hey guys. Been having issues with the truck having the shift cable pop off the linkage lately. I replaced the bushing a long time ago so I figured it was due again. It was worn enough it wouldn't stay on so out with the old in with the new. Now the issue I'm having is it still doesn't hold the shaft great. After about 20 cycles it'll pop off again.

Now I'm curious, the arm itself looks pretty worn down where the bushing rides so I'll assume it may be time for that as well? Anyone dealt with this? I just want to not have to crawl under it every other day is all. It pops on and locks to the groove positively but I can still pull it without much force.

Any input is much appreciated.

Best,

-Paul

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You could drill out the existing pin on the arm and ditch the plastic bushing, then switch to one of the metal replacement pins with e-clip. That's what I opted for like 10 years ago, cable won't move after that. (unless the cabin side bushing breaks, which mine did, years later :duh: )

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
You could drill out the existing pin on the arm and ditch the plastic bushing, then switch to one of the metal replacement pins with e-clip. That's what I opted for like 10 years ago, cable won't move after that. (unless the cabin side bushing breaks, which mine did, years later :duh: )
So like the B&M setup I have on the 67.

Would you mind my asking if you could Elaborate? I just don't want to deal with this ever again lol.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Before I had a decent amount of tools and mine broke, I had to rig it to hold together until I could get some help to fix it. My friend took the arm off the tranny, drilled out the old pin, and gave me a bolt and nut with a couple of washers that held it together in the meantime. (honestly could have left it that way) I ordered the repair pin from ATF Speed, and that replaced the bolt and nut with a pin (2 actually) and e-clip. No more plastic pieces :no:

1627497126583.png

1627497168327.png

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Sold. :goodpost:

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I used that same ATF Speed metal setup and it worked great, would highly recommend. If I remember right I used an angle grinder instead of a drill for that removal section.

I had the same mentality as you, had to crawl under the trailblazer in a parking lot during winter, and used a piece of wire to hook it up temporarily and get home. (my wife had taken it to work). Fixed it with the dorman ER fix but knew it was only a matter of time before it happened again, and I did not want to have go through that fun again if I had too :smile:

Gunner

Jan 23, 2019
Minnesota
Before I had a decent amount of tools and mine broke, I had to rig it to hold together until I could get some help to fix it. My friend took the arm off the tranny, drilled out the old pin, and gave me a bolt and nut with a couple of washers that held it together in the meantime. (honestly could have left it that way) I ordered the repair pin from ATF Speed, and that replaced the bolt and nut with a pin (2 actually) and e-clip. No more plastic pieces :no:

View attachment 101347

View attachment 101348
Why does it come with two pins? Different lengths for alignment options??

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Why does it come with two pins? Different lengths for alignment options??

No idea, it was years ago when I got them, but they appeared to be identical. If I had been thinking ahead at the time, I would have measured the e-clip, and sourced another one of the same size, and then sold the pair for cheap. :dunce: :duh:

• Haha
Reactions: Gunner

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.