Transmission Shift Cable

Petnatcar

Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
Watertown, NY
The pin rusted off of the Lever on the side of the transmission and left me stranded one day, but after looking at the problem my friend decided to
modify the existing cable. (Thank you Charlie)

- Remove the small rusty Lever that is attached to the side of the
gearbox. It's held on by 1 rusty nut.
- Grind down the stub of the original pin on the Lever.
- Drill a 1/4" hole.
- Install a new plastic bushing in the black cable end.
(available at some parts stores)
- Use a 1/4" Stainless Steel Bolt, Lock Nut and Stainless Washers and
screw everything back together but not completely tight. (that's why you
should use a Lock Nut)
The connection still has to move back and forth.

This saves a lot of time, instead of tearing out the console and replacing the whole cable which isn't the problem anyways.

I don't have photos of the lever but you can get the idea from the photos.

Good luck,
Peter

Attachments

• DSCN3591.JPG
    DSCN3591.JPG
    611.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
The pin rusted off? That's actually part of the trans so a new cable wouldn't have fixed it anyways. The whole end of the cable is plastic so it's not rusting away.

Nice repair though, hopefully it holds up!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Dorman does have the plastic bushing that goes in the plastic end if that's all that's needed. It is very unusual for that pin to rust off. Good solution!

Petnatcar

Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
Watertown, NY
Dorman does have the plastic bushing that goes in the plastic end if that's all that's needed. It is very unusual for that pin to rust off. Good solution!
Moose,
I live in Northern New York and I think they use more salt on the roads then any state in the country so that pin rusting off is actually NORMAL up here.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I doubt it. It's part of the shift lever that comes together. Don't even know you you get it out if you needed. Probably have to drop the pan and possibly the valve body.

Petnatcar

Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
Watertown, NY
You're right, we discovered that the lever is a pressed fit onto the original shifter cable so
without some mechanical ingenuity you could be forced into buying a new cable (for $30-40)
plus tearing out the console and all that crap to get to the cable! No thank you.

We were done in less than an hour and never jacked up the truck!!!!
Those giant cardboard boxes are excellent for sliding under a vehicle.

The way the Lever is attached to the cable was the most surprising thing because it seemed so stupid, but that's what you get with giant companies...no common sense and I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing it was cheaper to press it on rather then use a stainless nut and bolt.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher