Transmission replacement

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Hi Everybody!

Well, time to replace the transmission. Third gear and overdrive are gone. Can anyone give me an idea what kind of labor is involved in removing and replacing the tranny? It's a 07 LT 6 cylinder, 4x4.

I got a guy at my local salvage yard who can get me a 4L60E with 97K and a 6 month warranty for $825.
I look forward to hearing some thoughts, ideas, suggestions. Thanks for the time and have a great evening!

Stay safe!

George D.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Thats a horrible price for a salvage yard tranny. They are less than $150 here. Your 6 month warranty means he hands you another 1. That you spend half a day and untold bucks putting in to find out if it works or not. Ive seen rebuilt ones from tranny shops for around $1500.....I know thats hit and miss also but at least you have someone telling you it will work. Junkyard trannys are the worst way to go. Id buy 1 off Graigslist 1st..

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I will never put a used automatic transmission in any vehicle I own. A new tranny will cost, depending on where you go, from 1000 up to 1800, and come with a 3 year warranty. I just spent 2600 at a tranny shop for them to drop a 4T65EAWD, rebuild, and reinstall with new TC. I could have save about 1000 doing it myself. But I hate transmissions LOL. I will pay for someone to have that headache.

EDIT: And yea, thats a HORRIBLE price. about 600-700 to high. You dont know the condition of that tranny, if it was ever serviced, if it was used as a tow rig, etc. Get a new tranny.

You have a 4L60E, and they are quite a bit more common. But I think you would be better off pulling your tranny, and having it rebuild. They do have a special bell housing for the I6 engines. So then you would not have to worry about swapping the bell housings.

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Thanks for the input, guys. I wasn't thrilled at the thought of a used transmission but the guy is a friend of mine. I am waiting to see if my shade tree mechanic is up to this task.

Where is a good place to get a rebuilt tranny now?

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Are there any things that should be considered for upgrading with the transmission?

Thanks again, everyone!

Jul 24, 2012
Here's my thread on the same question: https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/pulling-the-transmission-this-weekend.17614/

It was a pain in the ass. It took longer than I thought it would. On the plus side, I did get the rear main seal for the engine done, a new catalytic converter, new O2 sensors. The cat has to come out either way. Breaking the cat loose from the muffler section sucked, had to drill out the old fasteners, and rig new ones but it worked.

The transmission mount I ordered online did not fit, and I had to put it back together under time pressure with the old one. Still have that old one on. Gotta get to that as well.

Also I got mine rebuilt for like $900-ish. Anyway, all kinds of gory details in the thread.

Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online