Transmission replacement, tips and notes.

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
I got my Envoy off the jackstands last night and the replacement transmission works as it should. It was from the local wrecker who told me it only had 118K kilometers (74K miles) on it.

Here are a few notes that I hope will help others.

JACKING and HEIGHTS:

The vehicle needs to be up really high. My transmission jack adapter is 6" tall and my floor jack is 4" at rest. Add the 18" of bell housing and at least one frame rail needs to be 28" off the ground in order to slide the tranny out on the jack. I bought 12 ton jack stands, the tallest I could find, they extend to 28". The next problem was my floor jack only goes to 21" so I jacked up the car and put it on four jackstands at their lowest height (about 20") then I built some cribbing out of old 4x4s and landscape ties to raise the floor jack 10" and I jacked the car up to 24/25" all the way around because that close to the max height of my transmission jack. I then pulled the transmission and lowered it, and then raised one side of the Envoy to 28" using the floor jack on the cribbing (I have two floor jacks) and I was able to slide the tranny out, swap the new one onto the jack and slide it in.

TRANSFER CASE:

The case isn't heavy to pick up off the floor but it's incredibly heavy trying to lift it with your arms while lying on your back under the car. It sits clocked about 45 degrees when on the jack stand so you need to lift and turn it to get it on the studs. I used two ratchet straps accross the frame rails to suspend it so I could remove the jack and get under it and use one leg/knee to help push it up into place. The next time I'll build a wooden cradle to hold it in the clocked position so it's not so tough. (Note: I'm 56, if you're 35 you can probably remove and replace this without any problem LOL)

No need to remove the exhaust or the starter, they aren't in the way.

The bell housing bolts are EASY IF you have long extensions, I have one 1/2" extension about three feet long that made removing the bell housing bolts easy.

It's easier to remove the nut on the shift linkage and leave the metal lever connected to the cable than it is to try to remove the cable from the lever.

If you have a welder then weld in a drain plug, I tried loosening all the bolts but the gasket didn't release evenly and I got covered in tranny fluid, I was wearing a white shirt and my wife thought I was bleeding. If you're going to weld in a drain plug then just drill a hole where the drain goes before you pull the pan and let the fluid drain that way. If you don't have a welder Dorman makes a deep pan with a drain for less than $50, drill a hole in the pan you're going to toss.

Refilling the tranny later is an exercise in patience, put three quarts in, start the car for ten seconds and stop it, the pan will be empty, add three more and do it again. I did this three times (9 litres) before it stayed full. Don't let your transmission pump run dry!

Here's a question for others... how do you torque drive shaft u-joint bolts? My socket won't fit in then because the shaft interferes so I have to tighten by hand. The torque setting isn't too high so I just pulled as hard as I could by hand. How does the factory do this?

That's it for now, It's back on the road and it drives like it should again. Next round is cooling, I'll change the rad, water pump, fan clutch hoses and install a transmission cooler.

JayArr

Attachments

• P9070001.JPG
    P9070001.JPG
    516.2 KB · Views: 22
  • P9070002.JPG
    P9070002.JPG
    521.3 KB · Views: 23
  • P9070003.JPG
    P9070003.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 22

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Here's a question for others... how do you torque drive shaft u-joint bolts? My socket won't fit in then because the shaft interferes so I have to tighten by hand. The torque setting isn't too high so I just pulled as hard as I could by hand. How does the factory do this?

I use the German measurement "Goodentite".

Reactions: Sparky and Redbeard

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Thanks for the write-up.

Just curious, can you lower the transfer case and trans as one unit, then unbolt the bell housing before you slide it out from under the vehicle?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I can't see why not. Might be a bit unwieldy and unbalanced with the TC hangling off the side. And you have to use a special Torx bit to get the bellhousing bolts off. And even then, they still strip.

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
I don't think it would be stable on the transmission jack with all that weight hanging off the back end. Removing the transfer case also gives you a bunch more room to get at the top bell housing bolts with long extensions. I did it this time with a 3 footer but when I put the engine in last year and I had to manouver around the transfer case I needed almost 5 feet of extension.

I wouldn't want to try to get the bell housing off while underneath, trying to untorque seized bolts on a tranny resting on a transmission jack with a transfer case attached is just a recipe for it rolling off the stand.

One other tip: drain the transfer case! Otherwise it's going to leak all over you out the tail and that blue stuff is super expensive. Smart money drains it into a clean bucket and reuses it at the end of the swap!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

1500truckguy

Jan 11, 2021
Knoxville, TN
I used to have a 2006 GMC Envoy and I wish I had access to this thread years ago when I attempted and failed to swap out my transmission. I ordered a remanufactured tranny from a good source online and it ended up well. I learned to choose a reman trans instead of a rebuilt one from this article: https://discounttransmissions.mystrikingly.com/blog/gmc-sierra. Let me know what you guys think
I got my Envoy off the jackstands last night and the replacement transmission works as it should. It was from the local wrecker who told me it only had 118K kilometers (74K miles) on it.

Here are a few notes that I hope will help others.

JACKING and HEIGHTS:

The vehicle needs to be up really high. My transmission jack adapter is 6" tall and my floor jack is 4" at rest. Add the 18" of bell housing and at least one frame rail needs to be 28" off the ground in order to slide the tranny out on the jack. I bought 12 ton jack stands, the tallest I could find, they extend to 28". The next problem was my floor jack only goes to 21" so I jacked up the car and put it on four jackstands at their lowest height (about 20") then I built some cribbing out of old 4x4s and landscape ties to raise the floor jack 10" and I jacked the car up to 24/25" all the way around because that close to the max height of my transmission jack. I then pulled the transmission and lowered it, and then raised one side of the Envoy to 28" using the floor jack on the cribbing (I have two floor jacks) and I was able to slide the tranny out, swap the new one onto the jack and slide it in.

TRANSFER CASE:

The case isn't heavy to pick up off the floor but it's incredibly heavy trying to lift it with your arms while lying on your back under the car. It sits clocked about 45 degrees when on the jack stand so you need to lift and turn it to get it on the studs. I used two ratchet straps accross the frame rails to suspend it so I could remove the jack and get under it and use one leg/knee to help push it up into place. The next time I'll build a wooden cradle to hold it in the clocked position so it's not so tough. (Note: I'm 56, if you're 35 you can probably remove and replace this without any problem LOL)

No need to remove the exhaust or the starter, they aren't in the way.

The bell housing bolts are EASY IF you have long extensions, I have one 1/2" extension about three feet long that made removing the bell housing bolts easy.

It's easier to remove the nut on the shift linkage and leave the metal lever connected to the cable than it is to try to remove the cable from the lever.

If you have a welder then weld in a drain plug, I tried loosening all the bolts but the gasket didn't release evenly and I got covered in tranny fluid, I was wearing a white shirt and my wife thought I was bleeding. If you're going to weld in a drain plug then just drill a hole where the drain goes before you pull the pan and let the fluid drain that way. If you don't have a welder Dorman makes a deep pan with a drain for less than $50, drill a hole in the pan you're going to toss.

Refilling the tranny later is an exercise in patience, put three quarts in, start the car for ten seconds and stop it, the pan will be empty, add three more and do it again. I did this three times (9 litres) before it stayed full. Don't let your transmission pump run dry!

That's it for now, It's back on the road and it drives like it should again. Next round is cooling, I'll change the rad, water pump, fan clutch hoses and install a transmission cooler.

JayArr

A_D_2022

Dec 13, 2022
Burlington ON
Sorry to revive an old thread, but how did you manage to get the upper bellhousing bolts off? You mention long extensions, is there space above the transmission to access them? Or are universal joints required as well?

Thanks

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada

No universals required. Remove the driveshaft, crossmember and exhaust and the tail of the tranny will sag down. Then look up and over the transmission from back to front and you'll see the three bolts. See picture in other thread.

Hint, leave a bolt in the bottom until you remove these three and jack it back up on the transmission jack so it doesn't slip off before you're ready.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Hint, leave a bolt in the bottom until you remove these three and jack it back up on the transmission jack so it doesn't slip off before you're ready.

:thumbsup:Sage advice, this. Hope I remember it, when the time comes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online